It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:29 pm

Will Usage Monitor plugin measure Disk Byte/sec on Mapped Drive

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
siliconman01

Will Usage Monitor plugin measure Disk Byte/sec on Mapped Drive

Post by siliconman01 »

I have 3 Western Digital My Cloud mapped drives along with 2 logical disk drives as my primary drives. I have custom rainmeter skins that display specific usage data and also the DIsk Byte/sec as a line graph. My line graph logic works fine for the 2 logical drives, but does not work at all for any of the mapped drives. In the code below, [Mse_DriveAccessP] and [Rl_DriveAccessP] are the two sections that "do not work" for mapped drives. Is my code incorrect for mapped drives or is this not possible for mapped drives.

Code: Select all

;===========================================
;  Rainmeter System WD MyCloud Disk configuration file
;===========================================

[Rainmeter]
Author=Tom
AppVersion=1.0
Update=5000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[Variables]
fontColor.Text=255, 255, 255, 255
bar.color=255, 255, 255, 255
graph.line1=255, 255, 255, 255
graph.line2=255, 255, 255, 255

FontName=Calibri
FontHeight=10
AntiAlias=1

[MeterBackground]
Meter=Shape
Shape=Rectangle 5,0,260,130,8 | StrokeWidth 3 | Stroke Color 0,128,128,255 | Fill Color 0,0,0,1
Shape2=Rectangle 10,5,250,120,8 | StrokeWidth 0 | Fill Color 0,0,0,255

;:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
;
;      Physical Disc 0
;
;:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[Mse_DriveAccessP]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Category=PhysicalDisk
Counter=Disk Bytes/sec
Name=P:

[Mse_TotalP]
Measure=FreeDiskSpace
Drive=P:
Total=1

[Mse_FreeP]
Measure=FreeDiskSpace
Drive=P:

[Mse_UsedP]
Measure=FreeDiskSpace
Drive=P:
InvertMeasure=1

[MeterRightLine0]
Meter=IMAGE
X=0
Y=-3
W=110
H=110
ImageName=My Cloud PR2100.png
LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\Windows\System32\Diskmgmt.msc"]

[MeasureTotalSwapP]
Measure=SwapMemory
Total=1

[MeasureUsedSwapP]
Measure=SwapMemory

[MeasureFreeSwapP]
Measure=SwapMemory
InvertMeasure=1

[HDDP.txt]
Meter=STRING
X=120
Y=4
FontColor=255, 255, 0
FontSize=12
FontFace=#FontName#
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
FontEffectColor=0, 0, 0, 255
AntiAlias=1
Text="Mapped Drive P:"
LeftMouseDownAction=!Execute ["P:\"]

[MeterLineP]
Meter=Image
SolidColor=0,255,255,255
X=120
Y=22
W=120
H=1

[aHDDP.txt]
Meter=STRING
X=15
Y=100
FontColor=255,0,255,255
FontSize=11
FontFace=#FontName#
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
AntiAlias=1
Text="My Cloud PR2100 (P:)"

[1HDDP.txt]
Meter=STRING
X=150
Y=52
FontColor=255, 255, 255,255
FontSize=10
FontFace=#FontName#
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
AntiAlias=1
Text="Total:"

[DrivePTotal]
MeasureName=Mse_TotalP
Meter=STRING
X=248
Y=52
FontColor=0, 255, 255
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
StringAlign=right
Fontsize=10
Fontface=Calibri
Text="%1B"
AntiAlias=1
NumOfDecimals=2
AutoScale=1

[2aHDDP.txt]
Meter=STRING
X=150
Y=66
FontSize=10
FontFace=#FontName#
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
AntiAlias=1
Text="Used:"

[DrivePUsed]
MeasureName=Mse_UsedP
Meter=STRING
X=248
Y=66
FontColor=0, 255, 255
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
StringAlign=right
Fontsize=10
Fontface=calibri
Text="%1B"
AntiAlias=1
NumOfDecimals=2
AutoScale=1

[2HDDP.txt]
Meter=STRING
X=150
Y=80
FontSize=10
FontFace=#FontName#
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
AntiAlias=1
Text="Free:"

[DrivePFree]
MeasureName=Mse_FreeP
Meter=STRING
X=248
Y=80
FontColor=0, 255, 255
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=BORDER
StringAlign=right
Fontsize=10
Fontface=calibri
Text="%1B"
AntiAlias=1
NumOfDecimals=2
AutoScale=1

[Rl_DriveAccessP]
Meter=Line
MeasureName=Mse_DriveAccessP
X=169
Y=88
H=25
W=70
LineCount=1
LineColor=145, 255, 4, 255
AutoScale=1
AntiAlias=1
MappedDiskIO.png
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Will Usage Monitor plugin measure Disk Byte/sec on Mapped Drive

Post by balala »

siliconman01 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 8:41 am My line graph logic works fine for the 2 logical drives, but does not work at all for any of the mapped drives. In the code below, [Mse_DriveAccessP] and [Rl_DriveAccessP] are the two sections that "do not work" for mapped drives. Is my code incorrect for mapped drives or is this not possible for mapped drives.
I think it should have to be possible, but unfortunately I don't have such mapped drives, so I can't check out your code. However I see two things which probably worth to be mentioned:
  • First try to replace the Category=PhysicalDisk option of the [Mse_DriveAccessP] measure with Category=LogicalDisk. I just think that a mapped drive isn't a physical drive.
  • Secondly try to reduce the Update value of the code to the default Update=1000 ([Rainmeter] section). Update=5000 (as you have it right now) means one update per five seconds, so in some cases you have to wait up to five seconds to get the skin reacting.
siliconman01

Post by siliconman01 »

balala wrote: May 27th, 2019, 3:56 pm I think it should have to be possible, but unfortunately I don't have such mapped drives, so I can't check out your code. However I see two things which probably worth to be mentioned:
  • First try to replace the Category=PhysicalDisk option of the [Mse_DriveAccessP] measure with Category=LogicalDisk. I just think that a mapped drive isn't a physical drive.
  • Secondly try to reduce the Update value of the code to the default Update=1000 ([Rainmeter] section). Update=5000 (as you have it right now) means one update per five seconds, so in some cases you have to wait up to five seconds to get the skin reacting.
Thanks for your feedback. Neither of the above suggestions resolved the issue. Any additional assistance will be greatly appreciated.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

siliconman01 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 7:47 pm Thanks for your feedback. Neither of the above suggestions resolved the issue. Any additional assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, no more ideas.
rlnoonan

Post by rlnoonan »

Any chance anyone ever found any new information about this? I am running into a very similar problem, but I'm using a skin (not developing one) and I am nearly certain that this used to work.

I am using the skin package called "SysInfo", version 1.0, by Eric Miller. I always map a network drive to Z: and use two skins in this package to monitor this drive: "Total HDD 2 R & W Bytes/sec" and "HDD 2 Used / Free".

Similar to siliconman01's problem, I correctly get the output for Used / Free, but never get any data for R & W Bytes/sec. Also similar to siliconman01's problem, both work just fine for drive C: (I monitor that one as well). I have been using these skins for over a year and I know this used to work when I originally installed the package. Unfortunately, I don't know when this stopped working. I know it hasn't worked for months, but I didn't look into it because I figured it was some problem that would fix itself when I rebooted or something like that.

I don't have any answers, but I have done a bit of digging to try to understand what is going on and one thing I found that was interesting was that the Windows Resource Monitor also does not report any activity for mapped network drives. When you open the Resource Monitor and select the Disk tab you only see local disks reporting their activity. Even those disks will not show up until some activity occurs. So I'm guessing that Windows is the actual entity that gathers these statistics and things like Resource Monitor or both of these skins are getting the data from Windows via an API of some sort. If so, maybe something has changed in Windows so that it no longer gathers these statistics for mapped network drives. Would anyone have any insight into this? Maybe there is some new way that this data needs to be gathered?

I know, long post just to basically say that it doesn't seem that you are doing anything wrong in your code. Since at least one other skin is not working either (and it used to work) and Windows own Resource Monitor doesn't seem to work, I'm guessing that this is just not possible anymore.

Would love to find out differently though. I'll try some other skins to see if I find anything that actually works.
Bob
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

rlnoonan wrote: September 27th, 2019, 2:46 am Any chance anyone ever found any new information about this? I am running into a very similar problem, but I'm using a skin (not developing one) and I am nearly certain that this used to work.
No, this is not possible. The reason is that the mapped network drive is NOT a physical hard drive. It is a network connection, a "virtualized drive", so PerfMon (which is what the UsageMonitor plugin is using for the data source) doesn't see this as a drive, physical or logical.

You can monitor the remote server's drive (the actual drive you are mapped to), but this is a completely different scenario and would require additional software, like HWiNFO.
rlnoonan

Post by rlnoonan »

Thanks a lot for the information. I don't know what I could have been remembering, so I guess I must have been confused.
SilverAzide wrote: September 27th, 2019, 11:21 am You can monitor the remote server's drive (the actual drive you are mapped to), but this is a completely different scenario and would require additional software, like HWiNFO.
Any chance you would know of a skin that does this (monitors usage of mapped network drives)? I already have HWiNFO for other skins I use.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

rlnoonan wrote: September 29th, 2019, 5:24 pmAny chance you would know of a skin that does this (monitors usage of mapped network drives)? I already have HWiNFO for other skins I use.
Unfortunately, I don't know offhand of a skin that does remote monitoring. You might be able to use something like Rainformer 2.4 HWiNFO Edition and alter the disk skin to reference a remote machine.