It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:56 am

Skins won't load.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
raiguard

Re: Skins won't load.

Post by raiguard »

balala wrote: May 12th, 2019, 11:51 am It is there:
Screenshot%20(2).png

What worked? How have you got it working?
Oh lol, I completely missed it since he didn't have file extensions enabled. He fixed it by reinstalling Rainmeter.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The idea of hiding file extensions in Windows by default was, in my opinion, one of the worst decisions they ever made, and has resulted in no end of mischief for end users.

Hiding file extensions, which I grant on the surface seem antiquated, and a throwback to the days of DOS, is not an unreasonable idea. However, it can't be done while file extensions still play an important, in fact critical, role in the way the operating system works. Windows still attempts to recognize what kind of thing a file is, still decides which of the installed programs should be used to interact with it, based on the file extension. Hiding them from the end-user doesn't in any way help anybody understand what is going on. It can only lead to confusion.

It was done for one reason only. To attempt to fool users into thinking that file extensions are not an important factor anymore. To try and sell the fiction that you don't need to know what kind of thing a file is, we will figure it out for you son, don't worry your head about it. It was a pathetic attempt to make the operating system seem more "modern", while not actually doing anything that modernized it in the least.

The very latest Spring 2019 Update of Windows 10 will only run an executable program if the file name ends in .exe, no more or no less than it did in DOS 1.0 in 1981. There is no point in pretending otherwise.

Windows doesn't examine a file to detect that it is an MP3 audio file, it exclusively and entirely depends on the fact that the file name ends in .mp3. There is no logical reason, whatsoever, to hide that from the end-user. That does help anyone in the slightest. The only file extension that Windows hides that I agree with is the .lnk extension used for "shortcuts" in Windows. That's fine, but you know why? Because they instead stick a big arrow on the icon, so it is clear and unambiguous that that file is a shortcut.

What I recommend, to anyone that will listen, is that the FIRST thing you do, as soon as you either buy a computer running Windows, or when you for any reason install or re-install Windows on a computer, is to do the following:

In any Explorer / File Manager window, go to the "View" tab, and select the "Options" pull-down on the right. Then do this:

1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

raiguard wrote: May 12th, 2019, 2:33 pm He fixed it by reinstalling Rainmeter.
I think in a such case reinstalling Rainmeter doesn't help. Even if reinstalled, you (he) will get the same file and he'll see only Rainmeter, not Rainmeter.ini. The only solution is that one described by jsmorley above.
Just as a side note, I'm not using Windows Explorer almost at all. I'm using Total Commander and into it, the extensions are from the beginning visible. :great:
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

balala wrote: May 12th, 2019, 3:35 pm I think in a such case reinstalling Rainmeter doesn't help. Even if reinstalled, you (he) will get the same file and he'll see only Rainmeter, not Rainmeter.ini. The only solution is that one described by jsmorley above.
Just as a side note, I'm not using Windows Explorer almost at all. I'm using Total Commander and into it, the extensions are from the beginning visible. :great:
I meant he fixed his original problem (his visualizer not showing up). Regardless, I agree with jsmorley, hiding file extensions by default is regressive and should be changed.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yes, all attempts by Windows to "disguise" things, like trying to pretend that it isn't important to get that the file system is best understood as a "filing cabinet" with "drawers" (drives), "folders" (directories), and items (files) organized in these drawers and folders, was and is doomed to failure. How many of you ever used or in any way miss the idea of "libraries" that was meant to obfuscate this in the vain attempt to look more "modern", while not actually changing anything?

Not often, but sometimes, I think Microsoft did not understand the lesson taught to them by Microsoft Bob.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

"Not I," said the cat. Libraries were nothing but a royal pain.