It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:22 pm

Skin Installer question

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Skin Installer question

Post by balala »

Hello everyone,

I want to create a skin installer, but found something which I don't know how to do.
I want to include more (exactly three) layouts. When I create the installer, at the second step I choose the Load layout option into the After installation section and choose one of the added layouts. But after the creation of the installer, when I install the skin, always the first layout (in alphabetical order) is applied, no matter what layout have I chose when created the installer. I also tried to check the package, unzipped it and in the RMSKIN.ini I found the name of the first layout (obviously that one which is launched after installation) into the Load option of the [rmskin] section. Tried to recreate the package and as I said, always the name of the first layout is included here, no matter what I choose when creating the package.
Am I missing something, or indeed just the first included layout can be chosen to start with after the instalation?

Many thanks.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Skin Installer question

Post by jsmorley »

Balala, I'm not getting that. If I include three layouts in the .rmskin, and tell it to load the second one alphabetically, that is what is loaded when I install the .rmksin.

What are the names of the layouts in question? Maybe we are missing something here like spaces in the name(s) or special characters or something...

Do you have a lot of layouts in the Layouts folder? Are the Layouts you are trying to use "large", in the sense of how many [Sections] are in them, or are they pretty "clean" and only include the skins you actually want to initially load?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: March 18th, 2019, 12:02 pm What are the names of the layouts in question? Maybe we are missing something here like spaces in the name(s) or special characters or something...
The layouts are Mirage, MirageSettings and MirageStart. No spaces.
When I start creating the installer, I typing the name, the author and the version (Information section), I add the skin (Add skin button) and add the three layouts named above, through the Add folder from Layouts option of the Add window, accessible through the Add layout button. Finally I add 10 plugins.
At the second step, in the After installation Load layout is automatically selected (I added layouts) and in the list the Mirage layout is selected (this being the first in alphabetical order). I change in this menu the layout to MirageStart, because obviously this is what I want to start with.
Now I create the installer.
In the RMSKIN.ini file of the just created package, in the [rmskin] section I have this: Load=Mirage (not Load=MirageStart, as I supposed it should have to be, accordingly to the chosen layout). Accordingly when I install the package, Mirage is the starting layout, not MirageStart (obviously, since this is written to RMSKIN.ini).
jsmorley wrote: March 18th, 2019, 12:02 pm Do you have a lot of layouts in the Layouts folder? Are the Layouts you are trying to use "large", in the sense of how many [Sections] are in them, or are they pretty "clean" and only include the skins you actually want to initially load?
Right now there are nine layouts. Some are larger, others are quite small.
Mirage is a bit larger, having 11 sections, but both MirageStart and MirageSettings have just one section each.

My Rainmeter is:

Code: Select all

Rainmeter 4.3.0.3279 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-01-21  8:47:23
Commit Hash: 57e936d5
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit (build 17134) - Hungarian (1038)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: D:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Laci\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Laci\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Thank you.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: March 18th, 2019, 3:01 pm The layouts are Mirage, MirageSettings and MirageStart. No spaces.
When I start creating the installer, I typing the name, the author and the version (Information section), I add the skin (Add skin button) and add the three layouts named above, through the Add folder from Layouts option of the Add window, accessible through the Add layout button. Finally I add 10 plugins.
At the second step, in the After installation Load layout is automatically selected (I added layouts) and in the list the Mirage layout is selected (this being the first in alphabetical order). I change in this menu the layout to MirageStart, because obviously this is what I want to start with.
Now I create the installer.
In the RMSKIN.ini file of the just created package, in the [rmskin] section I have this: Load=Mirage (not Load=MirageStart, as I supposed it should have to be, accordingly to the chosen layout). Accordingly when I install the package, Mirage is the starting layout, not MirageStart (obviously, since this is written to RMSKIN.ini).

Right now there are nine layouts. Some are larger, others are quite small.
Mirage is a bit larger, having 11 sections, but both MirageStart and MirageSettings have just one section each.

My Rainmeter is:

Code: Select all

Rainmeter 4.3.0.3279 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-01-21  8:47:23
Commit Hash: 57e936d5
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit (build 17134) - Hungarian (1038)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: D:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Laci\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Laci\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Thank you.
Hm... I'm not getting this. Let me ask, are you sure it is selecting based on the alphabetical order of the Layout names? If you rename the layouts to 3_Mirage, 2_MirageSettings and 1_MirageStart for instance, does it then work correctly for you?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: March 18th, 2019, 3:12 pm Hm... I'm not getting this. Let me ask, are you sure it is selecting based on the alphabetical order of the Layout names? If you rename the layouts to 3_Mirage, 2_MirageSettings and 1_MirageStart for instance, does it then work correctly for you?
Yes, I'm sure. I also tried upgrading Rainmeter to the newest 4.3 Final Release - r3298, available, but nor this didn't help. The same issue is going on.
If I rename the layouts as you suggested, again doesn't matter which one do I choose to load after installation, always 1_MirageStart is loaded.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: March 18th, 2019, 4:27 pm Yes, I'm sure. I also tried upgrading Rainmeter to the newest 4.3 Final Release - r3298, available, but nor this didn't help. The same issue is going on.
If I rename the layouts as you suggested, again doesn't matter which one do I choose to load after installation, always 1_MirageStart is loaded.
Well huh... As I said, I'm not getting that. While we chew on this, you might want to name your Layouts in such a way that you can load the one you want I guess.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: March 18th, 2019, 4:29 pm Well huh... As I said, I'm not getting that. While we chew on this, you might want to name your Layouts in such a way that you can load the one you want I guess.
Yeah, probably this will be the solution.
Thanks anyway.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I wonder if you don't have at least one file name in your Layouts folder that is strange, or if you have a hidden or even system file in that folder somehow. Not entirely likely, but maybe the routine that is building the "pulldown" of the Layouts you have added to the .rmskin is not indexing correctly.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Just to demonstrate what am I talking about, I created a small skin installer, which includes two extremely simply skins (showing first a 1st Layout and the second a 2nd Layout string) and two layouts: 1Layout and 2Layout. 1Layout loads obviously only the skin which shows 1st Layout, while 2Layout loads only the skin with 2nd Layout.
When created the installer, at first step I added the Layouts config and both layouts:
Layouts1.png
At second step I chosen the 2Layout as the layout to start with after installation:
Layouts2.png
Attached you can find the package I got when created the installer. As you can see, although at the second step I've chosen 2Layout to start with, when installed anyway 1Layout is loaded (and this is written to the Load option of [rmskin] section within the RMSKIN.ini file as well).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, I'm getting that as well with that configuration. We are chewing on it...