It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:21 pm

Looking to be pointed in the right direction

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Ferbstorm

Re: Looking to be pointed in the right direction

Post by Ferbstorm »

Thanks! I'm liking how it turned out. Problem though, I've been running into some weird errors forcing me to reboot. Twice last night and twice just now. I didn't write them down last night, but just now the two were DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Now, with some initial googling it looks like the IRQL error might be an issue with out of date drivers, which frankly I am terrible about. So I updated all those, and am hoping that'll fix any issues I've got. However, I didn't write the code for my shut down and restart buttons myself. and it's the most recent thing I've done to the computer. Could you take a look at it and tell me if there's anything particularly wrong with it? It's making me nervous. I've unloaded it in the mean time, just in case.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
MiddleMouseUpAction=[!ZPos "2"][!Refresh #CURRENTCONFIG#]

[Variables]
BaseTint=100,255,100,255
ConfirmTint=50,180,255

[BG]
Meter=image
solidcolor=40,40,40,0
W=137
H=380
TransformationMatrix=0.93969;.34202;-.34202;.93969;-21;-47

;Shutdown
  [MeterShutdown]
   Meter=button
   X=3
   Y=3
   ButtonImage=#@#Images\Power.png
   ImageTint=#BaseTint#
   ButtonCommand=[!ShowMeterGroup 2][!HideMeter MeterShutdown]
   Group=1
   Hidden=0

[MeterShutdownConfirm]
   Meter=button
   X=3
   Y=3
   ImageTint=#ConfirmTint#
   ButtonImage=#@#Images\Power.png
   ButtonCommand=[Shutdown -s -t 5 -f][!ShowMeter MeterShutdownAbort][!HideMeter MeterShutdownConfirm]
   MouseLeaveAction=[!Refresh]
   Group=2
   Hidden=1

[MeterReboot]
   Meter=Button
   X=3
   Y=88
   ButtonImage=#@#Images\Restart.png
   ImageTint=#BaseTint#
   ButtonCommand=[!ShowMeter MeterRebootConfirm][!HideMeter MeterReboot]
   Group=1
   Hidden=0

[MeterRebootConfirm]
   Meter=Button
   X=3
   Y=88
   ButtonImage=#@#Images\Restart.png
   ImageTint=#ConfirmTint#
   ButtonCommand=[Shutdown -r -t 5 -f][!ShowMeter MeterRebootAbort][!HideMeter MeterRebootConfirm]
   MouseLeaveAction=[!Refresh]
   Hidden=1

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm Thanks! I'm liking how it turned out. Problem though, I've been running into some weird errors forcing me to reboot. Twice last night and twice just now. I didn't write them down last night, but just now the two were DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Now, with some initial googling it looks like the IRQL error might be an issue with out of date drivers, which frankly I am terrible about. So I updated all those, and am hoping that'll fix any issues I've got. However, I didn't write the code for my shut down and restart buttons myself. and it's the most recent thing I've done to the computer. Could you take a look at it and tell me if there's anything particularly wrong with it? It's making me nervous. I've unloaded it in the mean time, just in case.
Not sure what to say. First let's clarify a few concepts. :confused:
So, probably you would like to shutdown the computer with the above button and restart it with the below one. Am I right?
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

Yeah. What I really like about this set up is that you have to confirm your choice. No accidental shutdowns for me thank you very much
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:06 pm Yeah. What I really like about this set up is that you have to confirm your choice. No accidental shutdowns for me thank you very much
Here is a code by jsmorley, with both command (for shutdown and for restart). Probably more users had wrote skins with these commands, right now I found this one. Use his commands, they are working correctly (probably on all Windows versions - however I'm not sure about this).
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

balala wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:14 pm Here is a code by jsmorley, with both command (for shutdown and for restart). Probably more users had wrote skins with these commands, right now I found this one. Use his commands, they are working correctly (probably on all Windows versions - however I'm not sure about this).
So, I've done that, but something that confuses me is that in his code, shutdown is written as [shutdown -s -f -t 00], whereas restart is written as [shutdown.exe -r -t 00]. Is there a reason one has .exe and the other doesn't?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:40 pm So, I've done that, but something that confuses me is that in his code, shutdown is written as [shutdown -s -f -t 00], whereas restart is written as [shutdown.exe -r -t 00]. Is there a reason one has .exe and the other doesn't?
Shutdown.exe is an executable file located in most cases either into c:\Windows\System32, or into c:\Windows\SysWOW64. Doesn't matter if you write it with or without the extension, both work. I suppose jsmorley didn't even realized one is written with, while the other without extension. But this hasn't even too much importance. Use as you like and want.
But you can give it a try, to see which one, how does work.
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

balala wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:55 pm Shutdown.exe is an executable file located in most cases either into c:\Windows\System32, or into c:\Windows\SysWOW64. Doesn't matter if you write it with or without the extension, both work. I suppose jsmorley didn't even realized one is written with, while the other without extension. But this hasn't even too much importance. Use as you like and want.
But you can give it a try, to see which one, how does work.
gotcha, thanks. I tried restarting the computer with the skin after updating the code, and the same issue happened. I'm gonna wait to deal with that until later. I've got a friend who is a good deal better at PC Troubleshooting than I am
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 15th, 2019, 10:21 pm and the same issue happened.
What issue? Didn't restart? Did it shutdown with the appropriate command?
Eventually try to type the same command into a command line window, to see if it does work. Because it should have to in a such environment.
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

balala wrote: March 15th, 2019, 10:25 pm What issue? Didn't restart? Did it shutdown with the appropriate command?
Eventually try to type the same command into a command line window, to see if it does work. Because it should have to in a such environment.
So what happened is I hit the restart button. The system rebooted. In the process of booting back up I got this screen:
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/xwindows-8-blue-screen-header.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.DJqE_3zuYI.png

It gave me the error KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and automatically rebooted my computer

during the second reboot I got the same screen with the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and it rebooted again

Then before it could even get to the desktop I got a screen saying a problem occured, giving me the option for advanced options or just to restart again. I hit restart and it booted up just fine.

This is the third time this has happened. Seems to be a cycle of something get's screwed, Reboot > Error > Reboot > Error > Option of Reboot or advanced options > reboot > Fully Functional. The errors are also different each time, which is throwing me off.

And I don't have rainmeter enabled to run on startup. I turned that off when I was screwing with the power off button in case I screwed up and got stuck in an endless loop. I'm also running windows 8
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 15th, 2019, 10:43 pm So what happened is I hit the restart button. The system rebooted. In the process of booting back up I got this screen:
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/xwindows-8-blue-screen-header.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.DJqE_3zuYI.png

It gave me the error KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and automatically rebooted my computer

during the second reboot I got the same screen with the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and it rebooted again

Then before it could even get to the desktop I got a screen saying a problem occured, giving me the option for advanced options or just to restart again. I hit restart and it booted up just fine.

This is the third time this has happened. Seems to be a cycle of something get's screwed, Reboot > Error > Reboot > Error > Option of Reboot or advanced options > reboot > Fully Functional. The errors are also different each time, which is throwing me off.

And I don't have rainmeter enabled to run on startup. I turned that off when I was screwing with the power off button in case I screwed up and got stuck in an endless loop. I'm also running windows 8
I don't think this is an error related to Rainmeter. There something is going wrong with your Windows, I suppose. Especially that Rainmeter isn't running on startup. Unfortunately I can't recommend anything.
But again, the error definitely wasn1t caused by the used Rainmeter commands (shutdown.exe).