It is currently April 19th, 2024, 12:07 pm

How to show text on the Screen Display ?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Robnarok

Re: How to show text on the Screen Display ?

Post by Robnarok »

okay here's what everything looks like, the "everything you ever wanted" line is from the skin i created but i want it to look like the bible verse under it and the quotes to also get to shuffle after few second or thereabout..
i'm a novice in this field and was only able to create the first skin from an instruction i got from another website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Robnarok wrote: March 12th, 2019, 4:37 pm i want it to look like the bible verse under it
You mean you'd like the "Everything you've ever wanted..." string to look like the "God is a refuge for us"?
If so, you have to replace / add a few options of /to the String meter. If that String meter looks like what you've posted before, just add a StringStyle=Italic option to the [QuoteStyle] section.
Also as I said before and accordingly to your initial request (1. request), you probably will want to add the following options to either the String meter (which doesn't have a name - ???), or the [QuoteStyle] section:

Code: Select all

W=300
H=300
ClipString=1
Obviously these are just some generic values, you have to find the best width (W option) and height (H option), which fit your needs. A few tries can help you to get the needed values.
Robnarok

Post by Robnarok »

thanks very much, ive gotten the W&H you can see it beside the bible verses.
now to get the quotes to change like the verses do, what should i do? for instance, the bible verses change every 15sec to a new verse but my quote only displays the first one on the list how i put in the quotes, i have almost 30 on the list or did i put them wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Robnarok wrote: March 12th, 2019, 5:28 pm now to get the quotes to change like the verses do, what should i do? for instance, the bible verses change every 15sec to a new verse but my quote only displays the first one on the list how i put in the quotes, i have almost 30 on the list or did i put them wrong?
First try to understand that there is no possibility to add five or even more Text options to a single String meter. Simply the first one is used, the others are ignored. In fact there is no possibility to have twice (or more times) the same option onto one section, whatever that section would be (meter or measure). Doesn't work.
So save the quotes into a simple text file, within the @Resources folder. Let's name that file Quotes.txt. Its content would be something like:

Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear. — George Addair
Who you spend your time with will have a great impact on what kind of life you live. Spend time with the right people. – Joel Osteen
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. – Confucius
Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny. – C.S. Lewis
Believe in yourself. You are braver than you think, more talented than you know, and capable of more than you imagine. ― Roy T. Bennett
Every quotation onto a new line.
Now add the following measure to the code:

[MeasureQuote]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=QuotePlugin
PathName=#@#Quotes.txt
UpdateDivider=30
(also posted before)
Finally add the following MeasureName option to the Quote String meter and modify its Text option, as it follows:

[Quote]
MeasureName=MeasureQuote
Text=%1
The involved Quote plugin chooses randomly one quote from the file and returns that one. The String meter shows it up.

I just realized maybe I've misunderstood something. How does change the bible verse? What measure does return it?
This would be much more clear if you should post the whole code, from the beginning to its end. Not as an image, but posting it here, using the <Code> tags (the </> button). Would be much easier for us to help.
Robnarok

Post by Robnarok »

okay this is what the previous one looks like right now:

[Rainmeter]
Author=Rob

[Metadata]
Name= Inspirational Quotes
Author= Rob Darlington
Information= Displays inspirational quotes
License=
Version= 1.0.0

[QuoteStyle]
StringStyle=BOLDITALIC
FontFace=Bookman Old Style
FontEffectColor=000000FF
FontColor=FFFFFFFF
StringEffect=BORDER
FontSize=14
AntiAlias=1
StringStyle=Italic
W=300
H=300
ClipString=1

[Quote]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=QuoteStyle
MeasureName=MeasureQuote
Text= Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear. — George Addair
now, this is what i just made from what i understood from your instruction

[MeasureQuote]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=QuotePlugin
PathName=#@#Quotes.txt
UpdateDivider=30
Last edited by balala on March 12th, 2019, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use <code> tags when posting code snippets.
Robnarok

Post by Robnarok »

now, this is what i just made from what i understood from your instruction

[MeasureQuote]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=QuotePlugin
PathName=#@#Quotes.txt
UpdateDivider=30
MeasureName=MeasureQuote
Text=%1

Who you spend your time with will have a great impact on what kind of life you live. Spend time with the right people. – Joel Osteen
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. – Confucius
Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny. – C.S. Lewis
Believe in yourself. You are braver than you think, more talented than you know, and capable of more than you imagine. ― Roy T. Bennett
courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. - Nelson Mandela

and i saved the txt file in the @resource folder
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Robnarok wrote: March 12th, 2019, 7:01 pm now, this is what i just made from what i understood from your instruction
That's ok, just make sure to have included the [MeasureQuote] measure into the above code of the skin. And also make sure to have the Quotes.txt file into the @Resources folder, because the [MeasureQuote] measure needs that file to can read the quotes.
In the Quotes.txt file you have to type / paste the desired quotes, every one into a new line.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Robnarok, please try to get used to use the </> button on the forum menu, whenever you are posting code snippets. If you don't use it, sections of your code are posted as plain text, other sections as quotation. That because you have a meter named Quote and its name is interpreted as a <quote> tag:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21635&start=10#p160184
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21635&start=20#p160207
Robnarok

Post by Robnarok »

Thanks a lot,i apreciate your help. :handtohead: Geekin is not for everybody.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Robnarok wrote: March 12th, 2019, 7:43 pm Thanks a lot,i apreciate your help. :handtohead: Geekin is not for everybody.
But have you got it working as expected?