It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:25 pm

Why is any editor other than Notepad++ TERRIBLE at encoding Rainmeter files?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Virginityrocks

Why is any editor other than Notepad++ TERRIBLE at encoding Rainmeter files?

Post by Virginityrocks »

Atom. Sublime. Visual Studio Code. It doesn't matter. Spending more a few minutes with any of these editors to inexplicably turn half of your skins into...

Code: Select all

駥ꆉ藦ꊱ跧鶩곣ꂴ듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴꣠뮀
ꇦꖵ臢隅ꗦꆉ闦뎩胢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴꣠覍맦邅귦붠ꗦ뒩곣궴듢
궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴꣠뮀闦ꚅ뇦뒍胢ꢈ냢ꂄ냢ꂈ铣검냢ꂀ胢ꊐ胣겐胣ꊰ胣검냢ꂌ냢ꂔ胢뒰蓣검胣검ꓢ誨뷦낉觧花觧분郥꾁藦늙맦뒍ꧧꖵ飣誐釧겕臧ꆍ釧릵铣떨뷦낉觧辉闦ꎑ뷤ꚙ闦뒵꣠钥뇦ꖍ藦ꎥ鷦부郥ꦑ闦邅釦ꦹ뗣ꊐ铣겐胣ꊨ뷦낉觧辉闦ꎑ駦
ꚍ釧부郥꾁藦늽ꧦꖍ뷤ꚙ闦뒉蓣뒨ꗧ뎁釦꒥鷦붌꣠鎥臥ꆑꗦ꺝駦ꚍ釧붔賥릍뷦꺑駦ꚍ釧붔郥
ꖡ臥ꆑꗦ꺝郣誐臧芅藤꺑藤겥跧부郥꾁藦늝藦꒥맦뒅鷦겕ꓣ남ꗦ꒕뷦낉觧螉釦ꦕ釧분裤꾉闦늑臧袵꣠芽釦ꖉ뷦뒑뗦袵꣠钥뇦ꖍ跧ꖵ觧꾁觧誠鷦ꢱ鷦
ꢑ駦ꚍ釧馵꣠袥ꇦ겥ꇦ뒽駦뎕ꇤ부郥꾁藦늡駦ꚍ釧부郥꾁藦늍釧꾕뗣남闧뒽ꗦ꒕뇦ꦑ觥ꆑ뗣늨闧뒽ꗦ꒕藦꒕藦뒕胣誨듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴
듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궨胢蒕
藦떱跧몀裣
랔胢는胢놔胢놌
는냢ꂤ胢뢰飣검냢ꂈ냢ꂈ냢ꂌ胢낰蓣검냢ꂈ铣검뗦ꆱ뇢ꂄ냢ꂄꓢ誨觧꾁뷦랹뇦떉蓣誐뷦낑鷧꺵맦떝釦뒡裣랔郤늽釦꾝뗤ꖹꇤꖥꇦ뒵铣誐뷦낑鷧
꺵맦떱맦꒥鷦분꣠蒉臧꒽맦趕闧蚽釧鎥闦분꣠蒉臧꒽맦覑뗦辁跦ꦑ뗣는꣠蒉臧꒽맦趕闧馽駦뎕뗣남觧꾁뷦랹闦꺕ꇦꆁ뷤ꚙ闦뒥듢뚨觧꾁뷦랹闦꺕ꇦꆁ뷤ꚙ闦뒡胣誐뷦낑鷧꺥뷦꺍藦ꎥ鷦붤郤늽釦꾝ꗤꎽꇥ꾙跧ꖑꃣ誐뷦낑鷧꺥뷦꺥駦ꚍ釧
붘郤늽釦꾝駤꾹
뷤ꚙ闦뒵꣠蒉臧꒽맦邅釦
ꦹ뗣늘郤늽釦꾝臥ꆑꗦ꺝듣늀郤늽釦꾝臥ꆑ
ꗦ꺝뗣떨ꗦ꺥闦꺕ꗦ꒑뗣놔꣠莽釧ꖡꗤꎽꗥ꾙跧ꖑ飣誸ꗤꎽ臥ꆑꗦ꺝賣誌跧뒕釥늅뗤ꖹ뷤ꚙ闦뒵꣠鎥釧ꖵ觧ꆥ触ꪕ釧辙跧ꖑ胣誄觧꾝뷦꺑ꗦ몕蓣뒨觧
늽ꇤꦝ뇦ꦝ釧
鞵裣誄觧꾝뷤ꚙ闦뒵꣠薡觧ꆍ跧覍맦鎁跦ꖵ꣠蒉臧꒽맦膹ꗦ膱藦뎵꣠钡뗦ꖍꗦ뒍뷤ꚙ闦뒵꣠超뇦辙跧ꖑ듢떨跦꾹뇦낡뗣는꣠鎕뗤ꖹꇥ辙跧ꖑ裣誌触趕闧늠駦ꚍ釧붘郤늽釦꾝跤떑闧뒵꣠鎕뗦ꖹ駤꾹ꗥ辙跧ꖑ胣誄釧ꦽ觤떑뷦꺽駦뎕뗣남뇦랅跧鎡鷧颽駦뎕뗣놐꣠뮴듢
듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴곣ꂌ뇦꾉ꧠ誌藦궉藣불裣겈裣겈裣誌藦궙藣불냢느郣놨ꇦꆵ鷤늴鳣겈냢떐꣠芝뷦경藣붌ꇦꆵ
鷤놌賥떁觧莽뷦늵賤ꢅ駤螅꣠鎕闦늍뇦꾉듣ꎌ藦궉藣ꎨ뷦낉觧蚽釧莽뷦늵賤ꢅ駤螅꣠钽뇦ꊅ觤螅賢莡뗦芝賢誐뷦겉觧袱
賢莡뗦蚝賢誐釧겕鷤부胣검
胣誈觧꒕釥꾁뷦경뗣는裣떰铣겔꣠芽釦ꖉ뷦뒑뗦莽뷦늵냢낰냢늘ꓤꎽ釥ꦹ뗣는냢는냢는꣠螉ꗧ뎍뇦ꖵ꣠邉跧ꖑ뷦경뗣남뷦ꎭ觧ꖍ釧莽뷦늵꣠説郤ꖙ闧겑ꧣ誨胢芝뷦경藣붌ꇦꆵ鷤놌곣ꂌ臧ꖉ뷦경뗣ꎌ藦궙藣ꎨ胢鎕闦늍뇦꾉듣ꎌ藦궉藣ꎨ胢钽觤ꆉ뷦꺑뷦경뗣ꎌ藦
궙藣ꎨ胢钽뇦ꊅ觤螅賢莡뗦芝賢説郥꾽触ꆉ뇤붌ꇦꆵ鷤늌꣠뮴듢궴
듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴곣ꂼ藦ꎥꗦ
ꖍ꣠芝臧ꆍ釧릅蓣떌裤螽藦ꎥꗧ늴蓣떨뷦꾱藦늽藦ꎥꗧ놴胣뒨뷦꾱藦늡뷤불铣誐뷦겉觧袱解붔꣠蒥뗦ꦍ뷤낅ꗦ뒥賢芝臧ꆍ釧릅꣠誈闧늑臧ꖵ뇦떉裤겕釥릁매떵胣誨듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢궴듢説飤꾹ꧠ誈觧꒕뷤낅ꗦ뒥胣誠駧ꖉ臧ꆍ釧릵꣠蚽釧躅闦

붰釤ꂌ뇦ꦑ郥꾁藦늙맦뒹뗦ꖵ飤꾹매ꆵ跢誈鷦ꢑ觧늽뗣뺨闦ꚑ觧늽뗣ꊰ菨誊ꫨꊃ諮肪菨誊飤꾱闦늅觧꾝꣣誐鷦늕跥릵뷦겵胥ꖉ闦꺑ꗧ궉뇦붔
들떍跦鎥触꾱裮馮郥꾽触ꆉ鳥ꖥꇦ뒵꣠躽ꗦꚥ藦뒥맦鞵胣남ꗦ뎵跧뎡駦ꚍ釧붴胣誐跧궥跧馽駦뎕뗣남ꗦ뎵跧뎙맦뒍ꧧꖵ郥꾁

藦늙
맦뒍ꧧꖍ郤ꦍꗦ뎍뗣늄꣠
説듢궴듢궴듢궴
듢궴듢궴듢궴꣠뮀ꇦꆁ跧ꂘ裦ꆍ鷦늽맦꒍꣠鎕闦ꎑ釦鎥闦辙跧ꖑ胣誌觧꾭鷥ꦑꇦ불賥뒉귦ꖝ釦뒡듣낸铣誐臧芅跥뒉귦ꖝ釦뒡裣誐뗦ꖍ觧꾭鷥ꦑꇦ붌釧
늽闦鞥釧ꢍ賥뒉귦
ꖍ뇦꾉듣ꎐ뷦겉觧
袱냢늈꣠鎑뷦ꮕ뷦경解붌闧낕跤꾱觧ꎰ铣誐臧芅跥뒉귦ꖍ뇦꾉胣검胣검들ꆡ뷦늹觧붘들ꦹ뷦늹觧불裤融觧꺕뗣늨뇤莽맦ꖉ賢芝뷦늹觧ꎨ뷦낉觧莽맦ꖉ胣誈ꇧ鎑뇦ꖵ꣠
Oh. I could use UTF-8, and it would work on every editor. But then all of my ASCII symbols turn into other kinds of gibberish nonsense symbols. Like, f---. Why is encoding such a pain? I just want to display basic english letters on a screen. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Last edited by Virginityrocks on February 17th, 2019, 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Why is any other editor other than Notepad++ TERRIBLE at encoding Rainmeter files?

Post by jsmorley »

I'm pretty sure every editor is capable of creating and reading UTF-16 Little Endian files.

I don't see that this is either a bug or a feature suggestion. If the suggestion is that we use UTF-8 w/BOM for Rainmeter skins, the answer is no...

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/unicode-in-rainmeter/
Virginityrocks

Re: Why is any editor other than Notepad++ TERRIBLE at encoding Rainmeter files?

Post by Virginityrocks »

I'm sitting here fuming trying to get these programs to perform the most basic of functions that only Notepad++ seems to have figured out how to do.

Am I alone here? Does no one else experience this problem? It's driving me absolutely insane. I'm just about ready to smash my monitor in.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Why is any editor other than Notepad++ TERRIBLE at encoding Rainmeter files?

Post by jsmorley »

1.jpg
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't know Sublime Text, or any of the others to be honest, I use Notepad++, but I'm betting there is a way to have it default to UTF-16 Little Endian if you want. You might not, if you do a lot of web development, which is almost always encoded as UTF-8, but I'm pretty sure you can.

I would not ever encode anything "without BOM". That will in fact drive you crazy, as any encoding that is w/o BOM is assumed to be ANSI, and that is just going to blow up as soon as you paste in any Unicode characters above 255.
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

I think I'm mostly amazed by the stupidity of 1990s programmers in creating the conditions where so many different encodings exist. It's a buggy terribly frustrating mess.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Virginityrocks wrote: February 17th, 2019, 9:59 pm I think I'm mostly amazed by the stupidity of 1990s programmers in creating the conditions where so many different encodings exist. It's a buggy terribly frustrating mess.
I would argue that it isn't stupidity at all, but rather that 1990s programmers lived in the 1990s, and 2019 programmers, while living in 2019, need to have some concern with not just breaking everything that was ever written before 2019. It's called "backwards compatibility", and it's really not a bad thing overall.

In fact, those 1990s programmers had the same concerns about things written in the 1960s and 1970s and 1980s... Be thankful we are not encoding in EBCDIC, and that we have thankfully almost entirely gotten rid of CodePage in favor of Unicode.

Trust me, I'd be all for a single, robust, standard UTF-32 Little Endian for everything except the web, where "bandwidth" matters. That should stay UTF-8. Increasing the amount of traffic by a factor of four overnight might not go over that well.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

I use vscode as my daily driver, and I have just used UTF-8 in all of my skins to avoid encoding problems like this, and in the few cases I need non-utf8 characters, I use character reference variables. But that is just me.

I found a setting that lets you set the default file encoding, and one that tries to open files with the correct encoding by default:
2019-02-17 22_13_08.png
However, I don't see UTF-16 w/ BOM anywhere in the list, just plain ol' UTF-16... :headbang:
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

raiguard wrote: February 18th, 2019, 5:15 am However, I don't see UTF-16 w/ BOM anywhere in the list, just plain ol' UTF-16...
Both UTF-16 endianness' in that list have to have a BOM or else there would be no way to know which was used.

-Brian