It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:04 am

Speech Plugin 2.4

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Speech Plugin

Post by eclectic-tech »

A very good "first step" indeed, sir!

The ability to have a few things in skins in your native language is helpful; text translation is hard enough, speech is even harder.

What you have so far is a great start. Well done :rosegift:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 27th, 2019, 3:00 am A very good "first step" indeed, sir!

The ability to have a few things in skins in your native language is helpful; text translation is hard enough, speech is even harder.

What you have so far is a great start. Well done :rosegift:
A different "culture" voice doesn't really do a lot of "translating", as far as I can see, it only "translates" numbers into the language. Everything else is spoken as it is, just with the appropriate "accent". Obviously though, if you use a German voice, and send it German text, it's going to sound a lot better than the same German text spoken with an English / American accent/pronunciation.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Speech.dll version 1.2.0
January 27, 2019
Corrected a bug in the plugin that would generate a pointless log error if the Name option was not defined.

Updated all .rmskins in this thread.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Balala, can you run that skin with the voice selector and post a screenshot? I'm curious what voices you have on your system, and how they are ordered.

I'm particularly interested to validate that Microsoft Zira Desktop is always there somewhere.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

This sure is something... Well done. I see you're using System.Speech.Synthesis... any chance you stumbled upon anything that can to the opposite? (Speech-to-text).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kyriakos876 wrote: January 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm This sure is something... Well done. I see you're using System.Speech.Synthesis... any chance you stumbled upon anything that can to the opposite? (Speech-to-text).
Go away... ;-)
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

jsmorley wrote: January 27th, 2019, 7:04 pmGo away... ;-)
🏃‍♂️💨
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: January 27th, 2019, 1:55 am Balala, I installed the German language pack for Windows 10, and after rebooting, Microsoft Hedda Desktop was available as a voice, and when used with the plugin, it spoke the date and time with a German accent, and even translated "numbers" to German. I assume if I also used a "locale" with the Time measure, I would get fully German output.
Thanks for your work.
German is not my language, I'm not interested into it. Would be in Hungarian and Romanian. If I understood it well, I have to install the appropriate Windows language pack in order to use certain language. Am I right?
A question: with the new version of the plugin, Gender has not too much sense. It is set based on the Name. For example if I set the Name to Name=Microsoft Zira Desktop and the Gender to Gender=Male, a female voice is speaking, although the Gender is set to Male. Hadn't became this option useless?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: January 27th, 2019, 7:07 pm Thanks for your work.
German is not my language, I'm not interested into it. Would be in Hungarian and Romanian. If I understood it well, I have to install the appropriate Windows language pack in order to use certain language. Am I right?
A question: with the new version of the plugin, Gender has not too much sense. It is set based on the Name. For example if I set the Name to Name=Microsoft Zira Desktop and the Gender to Gender=Male, a female voice is speaking, although the Gender is set to Male. Hadn't became this option useless?
Gender is just ignored if you select a specific Name. You can't have Microsoft Zira Desktop speak with a male inflection.

If Name is not used, and Gender is, then the first voice of that gender will be used.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: January 27th, 2019, 7:09 pm Gender is just ignored if you select a specific Name. You can't have Microsoft Zira Desktop speak with a male inflection.
That's exactly why I said that Gender became useless.