It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:31 pm

[Feature] Chart Meter or Plugin

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

[Feature] Chart Meter or Plugin

Post by eclectic-tech »

Would it be possible to have a meter (or plugin) to simplify displaying information in a few predefined charts?

I know this has been mentioned before, but thought a formal suggestion would start a discussion on the possibility, pro, cons, and issues.

P.S. Not a priority for me, but thought I would seek opinions...
MikeG621

Re: [Feature] Chart Meter or Plugin

Post by MikeG621 »

After looking through the WU Talking Weather skin, I second this motion. :thumbup:

This is one of those things that in the absence of that functionality if I needed dynamic sizing I'd create the meters themselves via Lua, but static lengths are much easier to suffer through once.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

What is an example of a "pre-defined chart", and how would you envision its implementation? I personally would not be interested in, and would oppose, any "cookie-cutter" features in Rainmeter. You simply can't define a "bar chart" or a "line chart" in any way that offers the kind of visual flexibility that is what Rainmeter is all about.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

For instance, I was thinking of a variation of the Line Meter. Instead of plotting values on every update, the meter would plot the measures values spaced by the number of measures minus 1 once. It could use the maximum measure value as the scale similar to how the line meter currently does. The measures could be required to return a percentile value, the same requirement of the line meter.

Code: Select all

[MeterLineChart]
Meter=LineChart
MeasureName=mDay1MaxTemp
MeasureName2=mDay2MaxTemp
MeasureName3=mDay3MaxTemp
MeasureName4=mDay4MaxTemp
MeasureName5=mDay5MaxTemp
MeasureName6=mDay6MaxTemp
X=0
Y=0
W=200
H=50
LineCount=1
LineColor=247,247,40
LineWidth=1
AutoScale=1
GraphStart=Left
GraphOrientation=Horizontal
The result would be a horizontal graph, 200 pixels wide, 50 pixels high, with the measure values plotted across the graph and connected by lines. Labels are shown, but those are not part of the actual graph.
linechart200.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rxtd

Post by rxtd »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 25th, 2019, 7:09 pm
To get results similar to your screenshot, you can use Line meter taking values from Calc measure, and force-update both Calc and Line using Lua script. You can use TransformationMatrix to make Line big enough for you needs while keeping only few values to display.
If you only need to display 6 values, this shouldn't be an issue.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

rxtd wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 2:24 am To get results similar to your screenshot, you can use Line meter taking values from Calc measure, and force-update both Calc and Line using Lua script. You can use TransformationMatrix to make Line big enough for you needs while keeping only few values to display.
If you only need to display 6 values, this shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks rxtd.

In the meantime, I did expand on an idea by VasTex and injust(Justin Ware) to create a line chart using Roundline meters to display values.
charts3.png
The user can edit his desired values in a separate 'UserMeasures.inc' file. Then decide how many measure.points are needed. Set that and they are done. Any number of measure.points is possible (within reason). Each chart is standalone, so more charts can be added by copying any of the folders.

LineGraph1 is set to position as "Bottom", this is so more charts to be stacked, if desired. LineGraph1 could set the chart background color, while additional stacked charts would have transparent backgrounds.
charts3to1.png
The rmskin below has 3 line graphs to demonstrate; LineGraph1 will set a background color and first line graph, LineGraph2 and 3 can be stacked and then moved as 1 chart using "Ctrl+Alt" group dragging. They generate random values with each refresh or middle-click.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Modified the example line graph rmskin above to allow an unlimited number of measure points, and stacked graphs if desired.