It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:23 pm

Weather not working?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Reveiller

Re: Weather not working?

Post by Reveiller »

@eclectic-tech Thank you for the speedy reply. I copy-pasted the code you posted, but it's still only displaying the temperature and nothing else. And it's still in that different font.

I'm guessing this has something to do with that aside you wrote at the end about LocalFonts being deprecated? I took a look at the resources, but it's totally beyond me; I don't think I can figure this out, at least not in a reasonable amount of time. Would you mind telling me/teaching me how to get the description of the weather back on this skin, e.g. Cloud, Rainy, etc.?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

When testing, I initially had the data return 'Fair' as the condition... but later, the feed removed the description; the placeholder was still there, but Weather.com was not sending any info. This may be due to it being evening or night, they sometimes do not supply as many details at night.

I would wait a while and see if the condition text re-appears; the skin will detect and display it if it supplied by Weather.com. Alternately, try a different nearby location and see if that weather station is reporting condition text.

I tried Tokyo code JAXX0308 and the skin shows this:
tokyo.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bubbadacaveman

Post by bubbadacaveman »

Hi, sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but I am not sure if I should start a new post, as this is the exact problem that's happening with my Rainmeter skin.

So I was using 'Windows 10 Widgets' Rainmeter skin from this site 'win10widgets.com', and like many other skins the weather widget stopped working few weeks ago.

Can it be made to get the weather data from weather.com? Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards.
Reveiller

Post by Reveiller »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 3:23 pm When testing, I initially had the data return 'Fair' as the condition... but later, the feed removed the description; the placeholder was still there, but Weather.com was not sending any info. This may be due to it being evening or night, they sometimes do not supply as many details at night.

I would wait a while and see if the condition text re-appears; the skin will detect and display it if it supplied by Weather.com. Alternately, try a different nearby location and see if that weather station is reporting condition text.

I tried Tokyo code JAXX0308 and the skin shows this:tokyo.png
So it's been quite a while since this post and I'm afraid it still displays nothing. Is the info you're referring to separate from whatever information displays on the regular weather.com website? Because I see a proper "Partly Cloudy" and whatnot displayed on there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also tried the Tokyo code you mentioned at the writing of this post and it also displayed nothing. But after I made the initial post I tried to find a semi-reasonably near location that Weather.com had and for some reason that one is displaying condition text. I'd like to just have the weather code for Nagasaki work properly, but if this other location keeps displaying text I guess I'll have to use this in the meantime.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

bubbadacaveman wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 6:43 am Hi, sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but I am not sure if I should start a new post, as this is the exact problem that's happening with my Rainmeter skin.

So I was using 'Windows 10 Widgets' Rainmeter skin from this site 'win10widgets.com', and like many other skins the weather widget stopped working few weeks ago.

Can it be made to get the weather data from weather.com? Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards.
Yahoo no lomger suplies weather data in a the way that skin works. You meed to try this version which uses data from The Weather Channel.
https://www.deviantart.com/eclectic-tech/art/Win10-Weather-780236969
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Reveiller wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 8:51 am So it's been quite a while since this post and I'm afraid it still displays nothing. Is the info you're referring to separate from whatever information displays on the regular weather.com website? Because I see a proper "Partly Cloudy" and whatnot displayed on there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also tried the Tokyo code you mentioned at the writing of this post and it also displayed nothing. But after I made the initial post I tried to find a semi-reasonably near location that Weather.com had and for some reason that one is displaying condition text. I'd like to just have the weather code for Nagasaki work properly, but if this other location keeps displaying text I guess I'll have to use this in the meantime.
Yes, the information on the website is not always the same as what The Weather Channel supplies in their XML feed. It should be the same (and usually is), but their concern is to keep the website accurate.

This "advertisement-free" feed is a secondary concern for them. They update it when and if they want to... :phhht
bubbadacaveman

Post by bubbadacaveman »

Hi, eclectic-tech mighty thanks for the reply and pointing me to your weather widget :bow: Can you please tell me how I can change it to show the weather for my location :D
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

bubbadacaveman wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 2:53 pm Hi, eclectic-tech mighty thanks for the reply and pointing me to your weather widget :bow: Can you please tell me how I can change it to my location :D
Right-click, 'Custom skin actions', 'Set location (auto-off)'. Enter the search info and press [Enter] key.
If you know the IDCode (USNY0996), you can manually put that in the WeatherURL. Make sure you also change the 2 variables below that to prevent having the skin try to auto-locate.

Code: Select all

WeatherURL=https://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/USNY0996?cc=*&unit=f&dayf=6

AutoLocation=0
FirstStep=MeasureWeather
bubbadacaveman

Post by bubbadacaveman »

Hi, eclectic-tech. I am ashamed of myself, don't know why I was blind to it but I could not find the option and instead went ahead and added the code from 'weather.codes' in the configuration settings file itself :oops: Only after reading your reply did I notice it.

Once again thank you very much, for making the weather widget work again.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

bubbadacaveman wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 3:23 pm Hi, eclectic-tech. I am ashamed of myself, don't know why I was blind to it but I could not find the option and instead went ahead and added the code from 'weather.codes' in the configuration settings file itself :oops: Only after reading your reply did I notice it.

Once again thank you very much, for making the weather widget work again.
No problem. The skin is smart enough to find a nearby weather station based on your IP, but it is not always close enough. So setting it manually can be done using the processes I posted.

The "Gotcha" is if you set it manually and do not modify the other 2 variables (or Use 'Auto location' from the context menu), the skin will overwrite your changes.

Glad you got it working! :thumbup: