It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:59 am

[D2D][Fixed] UseExifOrientation not working

Backwards compatibility issues related to the conversion of Rainmeter to D2D.
mochibear

Re: [BUG?] Quoteplugin using EXIF data innapropriately..

Post by mochibear »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:01 pm I am seeing the same 'cropping' by Windows when I rotate your images or use EXIF.

From what I was able to find, Windows does not 'play well with EXIF' :thumbdown:

In my opinion, you are going about this the opposite way I would. Considering that Windows has multiple ways to display wallpaper, I would resize my images nearer to my normal screen resolution and aspect, then let Windows adjust how it is displayed: Fit, Fill, Span, Stretch, Center, or Tiled.

You said you can't change the images you are getting from the source, but resizing them prior to trying to use them as wallpaper is a much better solution in my experience. :rosegift:
eclectic - thank you for testing the cropping. For the configuration I posted, balala and I are wondering if you're seeing rotated images for those with EXIF info. 4 pictures were included in the script. 2 are the same as the other, but have their EXIF info stripped. Those that have the info stripped work great. The EXIF containing info do not display right side up on 4 different computers here. Balala tested it and says it works fine there. Can you let us know what happens on your computer?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I won't be able to try that 'til late tomorrow hopefully... I will get back to you after then.
mochibear

Post by mochibear »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 14th, 2019, 4:07 am I won't be able to try that 'til late tomorrow hopefully... I will get back to you after then.

I've experienced this issue for months, so I am very thankful you're willing to help test!
mochibear

Post by mochibear »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:01 pm I am seeing the same 'cropping' by Windows when I rotate your images or use EXIF.

From what I was able to find, Windows does not 'play well with EXIF' :thumbdown:

In my opinion, you are going about this the opposite way I would. Considering that Windows has multiple ways to display wallpaper, I would resize my images nearer to my normal screen resolution and aspect, then let Windows adjust how it is displayed: Fit, Fill, Span, Stretch, Center, or Tiled.

You said you can't change the images you are getting from the source, but resizing them prior to trying to use them as wallpaper is a much better solution in my experience. :rosegift:

Unfortunately, windows displaying wallpapers is really not an option IMO. I use Rainmeter and other apps to display stuff on my 3rd monitor:

AIDA64 - system stats
Rainlendar - Calendar
Rainmeter - quotes
Rainmeter - Picture frame

Having Windows dominate an entire monitor isn't an option for me. Plus I love rainmeter's configurability through scripting. I can even put a picture of a frame around the pic if I want to!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mochibear what Rainmeter version are you using?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Tested using your code, with these results:

With UseExifOrientation=1 set in [MeterShowPicture]
Pictures WITHOUT EXIF data displayed the full image
Pictures WITH EXIF data were rotated 90 degrees clockwise but WERE CROPPED; the top 3/4 was shown, the bottom 1/4 was cropped

With UseExifOrientation=0 set in [MeterShowPicture]
Pictures WITH EXIF data were NOT rotated and displayed the full image
(Same results when UseExifOrientation line was deleted)

Using Rainmeter latest beta, Windows10 Pro 64-bit, single monitor (1920x1080).

So I am seeing the same cropping of the images as you describe when utilizing the EXIF information to properly rotate the image for display.

It would need one of the DEV team to take a look (if they can duplicate the condition) and if it is something in Rainmeter and not a Windows OS problem. :confused:
mochibear

Post by mochibear »

balala wrote: January 14th, 2019, 9:41 am mochibear what Rainmeter version are you using?
Sorry for the delay! It's been happening for as long as I can remember, but here's the current version:

mochibear

Post by mochibear »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:05 am Tested using your code, with these results:

With UseExifOrientation=0 set in [MeterShowPicture]
Pictures WITH EXIF data were NOT rotated and displayed the full image
(Same results when UseExifOrientation line was deleted)

This is what I am interested in - specifically, this line: "Pictures WITH EXIF data were NOT rotated and displayed the full image"

What you say images were "not rotated" you're saying that they were displayed sideways right? Like this: Image
if that's true, then that's all the confirmation I need to say that this is reproducible.

I have tried this on now 5 different configuration computers and none of them work properly. How do I go about submitting a bug report? How active are the devs in investigating stuff like this, since it's reproducible.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mochibear wrote: January 15th, 2019, 5:57 am Sorry for the delay! It's been happening for as long as I can remember, but here's the current version:

This is weird. I asked you about the version, because version 3273, published on January 3rd (the latest right now), introduced a such issue (plus another, related to ImageCrop option), which has been reported previously. But at least as far as I can tell, this issue exists ONLY from the mentioned version (3273), previously it wasn't there. But maybe I am mistaken and it was and I just didn't discover it? Could be...
Anyway, Brian and jsmorley promised that a fix is on its way and soon will be published. It hasn1t come out yet, but probably soon it will. Until then we have to wait and hope that it'll fix your issue too.
When you've posted your initial report about the issue you have, I had an older version of Rainmeter (then the v3273 wasn't even realized yet), but after I upgraded my Rainmeter, I didn't try out your code again. Now, that I have this v3273 installed, I did and can confirm your issue: it is there, the skin is working as you've described with the posted image. So, yes, let's wait for the next beta, to see if it'll fix the issue.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

We are looking into this.

We have a few lingering carbuncles from the conversion to D2D, and they include some issues with ImageRotate, ImageCrop and EXIF. We hope to have them all addressed shortly. They are all interrelated a bit, so we don't want to do a beta until we are sure that all are solved.