It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:30 am

Fonts won't display but hear me out please!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Ao Nuu Shin

Fonts won't display but hear me out please!

Post by Ao Nuu Shin »

Hi. After fighting too much with myself on making a progress on my own original rainmeter skin, I am trying to make a notepad small launcher.

I made the image, it took me a while to make it being displayed and working, but no worries, I got it!!!

I also know how to put a sound effect and I have one which is open source free and no legal problems, awesome!!!

So, what else could I put to make the icon button look neat? Of course, FONTS!!!! - I'VE GOT FONT'S WEAPONS!!! - Sorry...bad joke, I am drunk probably, I don't know why I said that, sounded better in my head and typed it anyways!

I downloaded the fonts from here : https://www.fontsquirrel.com/

The font I am trying to use is this : Alex Brush Regular - it's in the 11th position.

What I did? I downloaded it, extracted it, installed it for just in case, grabbed it's tiny little ass and moved it to the resources folder and I went to edit my icon in rainmeter and I've made sure I followed everything right in any direction I read online. To my surprise, when I changed the fonts, it DID felt like it changed a bit, i.e. like, the words notepad moved a bit lower on the left, but just a tiny bit, assuming it took the change but won't display it.

This is my code, I will try to use brackets this time to not make it look huge.

EDIT : Forgot to say, I DID made a fonts folder and put the extracted fonts in it, I also restarted my rainmeter to make sure it was this problem, nothing, it is just displaying regular fonts. I am following the path as best as I can. I also read an older post of the user Jsmoley and tried to fix up any mistake I had, this is what I have now and the fonts just won't work.

EDIT 2 : I downloaded and used Jsmoley's RainFont, really good and detailed tool, found the font, it's Font Face is Alex Brush, so, I typed it like that, nothing happens...

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
LocalFont=#@#Fonts\AlexBrushRegular.ttf
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1
============================
[Metadata]
Author=Me
Information=Opens Notepad
Version=1.0
[Meter]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\Test1.png
LeftMouseDownAction=!Execute["notepad"]
X=1
Y=1
W=130
H=30
AntiAlias=1
ToolTipText=Left click opens Notepad,Hold ctrl+lclick to move
[MeterString]
Meter=String
FontFace=AlexBrushRegular
FontColor=255,255,255,255
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1
Y=8
X=30
Text=Notepad
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Fonts won't display but hear me out please!

Post by balala »

Where have you put the AlexBrush-Regular.ttf file? Because you have to have a @Resources folder into your config (config is the folder created directly into the Skins folder, which contains the .ini file of your skin) and have to create the Fonts folder into @Resources. Put the AlexBrush-Regular.ttf file there. Also as you said into the [MeterString] meter you have to use the FontFace as FontFace=Alex Brush, not as FontFace=AlexBrushRegular, as you have it in the posted code (but I think you've did this change, am I right?).
If you did all this, it should work. It does for me. Does it now for you too?
And one more: the LocalFont option into the [Rainmeter] section isn't needed. Remove this option (although, for sure not this is the cause of the problem).
Ao Nuu Shin

Post by Ao Nuu Shin »

balala wrote: January 11th, 2019, 10:48 am Where have you put the AlexBrush-Regular.ttf file? Because you have to have a @Resources folder into your config (config is the folder created directly into the Skins folder, which contains the .ini file of your skin) and have to create the Fonts folder into @Resources. Put the AlexBrush-Regular.ttf file there. Also as you said into the [MeterString] meter you have to use the FontFace as FontFace=Alex Brush, not as FontFace=AlexBrushRegular, as you have it in the posted code (but I think you've did this change, am I right?).
If you did all this, it should work. It does for me. Does it now for you too?
And one more: the LocalFont option into the [Rainmeter] section isn't needed. Remove this option (although, for sure not this is the cause of the problem).
I have the Fonts folder in the @resources and I did put the ttf file in there, that was my very very first action, and yes, I did named the FontFace as Alex Brush. Do I need the snippet thing? I know LocalFont is not needed anymore, but just wanted to make sure, I'll take it out then...
Ao Nuu Shin

Post by Ao Nuu Shin »

Ao Nuu Shin wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:19 pm I have the Fonts folder in the @resources and I did put the ttf file in there, that was my very very first action, and yes, I did named the FontFace as Alex Brush. Do I need the snippet thing? I know LocalFont is not needed anymore, but just wanted to make sure, I'll take it out then...
Oh my God, I just deleted the local font thing, refreshed the skin and IT WORKED! I don't understand....did I had to restart my computer after I installed the font? Was that it? I don't get it! How?

In order for this skin to work as intended, if someone tries to download my skin, will they also have to install the font to their computer? I don't want to make things complicated...I thought it could take the font and use it from the resource folder and it is not necessary to install everytime on your system...damn, I have to think something else...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ao Nuu Shin wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:24 pm Oh my God, I just deleted the local font thing, refreshed the skin and IT WORKED! I don't understand....did I had to restart my computer after I installed the font? Was that it? I don't get it! How?
No, at all. Rainmeter never requires to restart computer. In such cases nor even to restart Rainmeter itself. When you copy a new font to the @Resources\Fonts folder a refresh is enough. Nor the LocalFont option didn't has to do anything with this issue.
Ao Nuu Shin wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:24 pm In order for this skin to work as intended, if someone tries to download my skin, will they also have to install the font to their computer? I don't want to make things complicated...I thought it could take the font and use it from the resource folder and it is not necessary to install everytime on your system...damn, I have to think something else...
No, again no. The font doesn't have to be installed. Rainmeter can use it from the previously mentioned Fonts folder. As this folder is in the @Resources folder and this folder belongs to the config, when you create the skin installer, it'll include the font, too. So there is nothing to do more, will be usable.
Ao Nuu Shin

Post by Ao Nuu Shin »

balala wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:33 pm No, at all. Rainmeter never requires to restart computer. In such cases nor even to restart Rainmeter itself. When you copy a new font to the @Resources\Fonts folder a refresh is enough. Nor the LocalFont option didn't has to do anything with this issue.

No, again no. The font doesn't have to be installed. Rainmeter can use it from the previously mentioned Fonts folder. As this folder is in the @Resources folder and this folder belongs to the config, when you create the skin installer, it'll include the font, too. So there is nothing to do more, will be usable.

I swear, I DID named it just Alex Brush and it wasn't working earlier. I just opened my computer and sat down, deleted the localfont, refreshed and it worked this time. I have no idea what is going on...Anyway, it works and that's what is important for now. Thank you for your help!!

I am trying to make an HDD one, but having trouble to spawn it, I am using illustro's base code but trying to shove my picture as a background to it and it won't spawn no matter how many times I refresh on it. I have to make it right. Another big night ahead of me. haha
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ao Nuu Shin wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:39 pm I swear, I DID named it just Alex Brush and it wasn't working earlier. I just opened my computer and sat down, deleted the localfont, refreshed and it worked this time. I have no idea what is going on...Anyway, it works and that's what is important for now. Thank you for your help!!
Don't know, but it's good you got it working now.
Ao Nuu Shin wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:39 pm I am trying to make an HDD one, but having trouble to spawn it, I am using illustro's base code but trying to shove my picture as a background to it and it won't spawn no matter how many times I refresh on it. I have to make it right. Another big night ahead of me. haha
What you mean by "it won't spawn"? I'm not sure I understood.
Ao Nuu Shin

Post by Ao Nuu Shin »

balala wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:44 pm Don't know, but it's good you got it working now.

What you mean by "it won't spawn"? I'm not sure I understood.

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Background=#@#Test1.png
BackgroundMode=
BackgroundMargins=
[Metadata]
Author=Me
Information=Displays disk usage.
Version=1.0
[Variables]
fontName=Alex Brush
textSize=8
colorBar=255,255,255,255
colorText=255,255,255,205
disk1=C:
disk2=D:
[Meter]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\Test1.png
LeftMouseDownAction=!Execute["notepad"]
X=1
Y=1
W=130
H=30
AntiAlias=1
ToolTipText=Left click opens Notepad,Hold ctrl+lclick to move

[measureTotalDisk1]
Measure=FreeDiskSpace
Drive=#disk1#
Total=1
UpdateDivider=120

[measureUsedDisk1]
Measure=FreeDiskSpace
Drive=#disk1#
InvertMeasure=1
UpdateDivider=120

[measureTotalDisk2]
Measure=FreeDiskSpace
Drive=#disk2#
Total=1
UpdateDivider=120

[measureUsedDisk2]
Measure=FreeDiskSpace
Drive=#disk2#
InvertMeasure=1
UpdateDivider=120
[styleTitle]
StringAlign=Center
StringCase=Upper
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,50
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleLeftText]
StringAlign=Left
StringCase=None
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,20
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=#textSize#
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleRightText]
StringAlign=Right
StringCase=None
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,20
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=#textSize#
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleBar]
BarColor=#colorBar#
BarOrientation=HORIZONTAL
SolidColor=255,255,255,15
[meterTitle]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleTitle
X=100
Y=12
W=190
H=18
Text=Disks

[meterLabelDisk1]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=40
W=190
H=14
Text=#disk1#\

[meterValueDisk1]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleRightText
MeasureName=measureUsedDisk1
MeasureName2=measureTotalDisk1
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1B/%2B used
NumOfDecimals=1
AutoScale=1
LeftMouseUpAction=["#disk1#\"]

[meterBarDisk1]
Meter=Bar
MeterStyle=styleBar
MeasureName=measureUsedDisk1
X=10
Y=52
W=190
H=4

[meterLabelDisk2]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=60
W=190
H=14
Text=#disk2#\
LeftMouseUpAction=["#disk2#\"]

[meterValueDisk2]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleRightText
MeasureName=measureUsedDisk2
MeasureName2=measureTotalDisk2
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1B/%2B used
NumOfDecimals=1
AutoScale=1

[meterBarDisk2]
Meter=Bar
MeterStyle=styleBar
MeasureName=measureUsedDisk2
X=10
Y=72
W=190
H=4
I am using this and trying to make the background image visible. I know there is something wrong here, definitely with the meters, but I am not sure where to start and where to delete from.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ao Nuu Shin wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:52 pm I am using this and trying to make the background image visible. I know there is something wrong here, definitely with the meters, but I am not sure where to start and where to delete from.
There is nothing wrong. Although I don't have the Test1.png image, if it is there, it should have to be shown. Make sure you have it in the @Resources folder and its name is indeed Test1.png. Also remove the BackgroundMode and BackgroundMargins options from the [Rainmeter] section, unless you want to scale the image. If you want to scale it, add something like these:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Background=#@#Images\Test1.png
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=10,10,10,10
With the above options, 10 pixels around the image aren't scaled. Obviously you have to find the appropriate values.

And two more things:
  • The !Execute bang is deprecated long time ago and shouldn't have to be used. Remove it (you've used it for example in the LeftMouseDownAction option of the [Meter] meter).
  • It's preferable to use LeftMouseUpAction instead of LeftMouseDownAction. Here you can find out why (read the Note).
Ao Nuu Shin

Post by Ao Nuu Shin »

balala wrote: January 11th, 2019, 10:20 pm There is nothing wrong. Although I don't have the Test1.png image, if it is there, it should have to be shown. Make sure you have it in the @Resources folder and its name is indeed Test1.png. Also remove the BackgroundMode and BackgroundMargins options from the [Rainmeter] section, unless you want to scale the image. If you want to scale it, add something like these:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Background=#@#Images\Test1.png
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=10,10,10,10
With the above options, 10 pixels around the image aren't scaled. Obviously you have to find the appropriate values.

And two more things:
  • The !Execute bang is deprecated long time ago and shouldn't have to be used. Remove it (you've used it for example in the LeftMouseDownAction option of the [Meter] meter).
  • It's preferable to use LeftMouseUpAction instead of LeftMouseDownAction. Here you can find out why (read the Note).
Oh, it is in the images, I know that and I am sure about that, because that's what I used for the Notepad a moment ago. Ok then, I will try to remove the things you've told me and refresh.!!

Ok, I changed the leftdownmouseaction to up instead of down, and I also deleted the !execute command and kept whatever else I had on the notepad and it is WAY better and easier now!!! Oh my God...I guess I was still living in the old age. hahah

But on the HDD edit, I still can't see my bg image...I think I am doing something wrong.
Last edited by Ao Nuu Shin on January 11th, 2019, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.