It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:05 am

Weather about to break Kaelri's Enigma skin (again)?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather about to break Kaelri's Enigma skin (again)?

Post by eclectic-tech »

Knightmare wrote: January 7th, 2019, 12:11 pm If it's not too much of a hassle, could you please -and just briefly- point to which file/line do I need to replace with my custom text for the sidebar worlds?

I tried my luck editing the skin, but none of the lines I experimented with seem to do the trick.
Enigma is a tightly interconnected set of included files, which makes it versatile but also difficult to change. :uhuh:

That said, the problem with my last suggestion is all three world skins use the same included meter file 'Enigma\Sidebar\World\world.inc', so changing the name for one of them means it will be the same name used in all three. :thumbdown:

If you only use 1 world skin then you can change 'Enigma\Sidebar\World\world.inc' to show the name you want by editing the [City] section:

Code: Select all

;-----------------------
; TEXT

[City]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleWorldCity
; MeasureName=MeasureWeatherCity
Text=Your City Name

I do not see the issue with how the skins work now, making this change breaks the other 2 world skins.
So I do not recommend making changes that cripple the skin. :twisted:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 7th, 2019, 2:26 pm Enigma is a tightly interconnected set of included files, which makes it versatile but also difficult to change. :uhuh:
That's why it's an Enigma...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote: January 7th, 2019, 3:51 pm That's why it's an Enigma...
Yes, it is an Enigma, wrapped in a Conundrum, surrounded by Infinite Possibilities to break it!

With the final demise of Yahoo weather, I expect we are going to see posts asking how to "fix" many of the older popular skins. :???:

Many of the original authors of those skins are no longer active. :uhuh:

I have converted a few (DINAJ2, Elementary, Circuitous2, and Enigma) to use Weather.com data, but I think it is better to wait until it is apparent the original author is not available to make the changes before posting mods to their creations. :oops:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:02 pm Yes, it is an Enigma, wrapped in a Conundrum, surrounded by Infinite Possibilities to break it!

With the final demise of Yahoo weather, I expect we are going to see posts asking how to "fix" many of the older popular skins. :???:

Many of the original authors of those skins are no longer active. :uhuh:

I have converted a few (DINAJ2, Elementary, Circuitous2, and Enigma) to use Weather.com data, but I think it is better to wait until it is apparent the original author is not available to make the changes before posting mods to their creations. :oops:
Agree. Hoping at least a few of them will make the needed adjustments, to make the skins to work again.
smo69

Post by smo69 »

Thanks for updating this! It seems to always be a game of catch-up with this skin, but I love Enigma's simple design.

Anyway, I was able to update the skin and get it working with your help, but for some reason, my wind info isn't showing. Any ideas?

eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

smo69 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 7:14 pm Thanks for updating this! It seems to always be a game of catch-up with this skin, but I love Enigma's simple design.

Anyway, I was able to update the skin and get it working with your help, but for some reason, my wind info isn't showing. Any ideas?

According to the screenshot, the wind is 'calm mph', and '0 N' direction, no wind=no windchill ... :???: so it seems to be working.

What is your location? The lack of data may be an issue with your reporting station and not the skin. With your location, I can test here also.
smo69

Post by smo69 »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 21st, 2019, 7:57 pm According to the screenshot, the wind is 'calm mph', and '0 N' direction, no wind=no windchill ... :???: so it seems to be working.

What is your location? The lack of data may be an issue with your reporting station and not the skin. With your location, I can test here also.
It's VERY windy today!

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USNJ0093:1:US
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

smo69 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 8:16 pm It's VERY windy today!

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USNJ0093:1:US
Well, I am getting the same results from Weather.com that you are seeing in 3 different weather skins... it is a problem with the feed, not the skin.

Wait a while and see if it is updated.

That location code comes up as NYC/Central Park,NJ (?) which with all the skyscrapers may be blocking the wind ;-)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

You can check other locations nearby to see what is being reported; use https://weather.codes/ to find the ID codes for nearby locations.

It is not unusual for the weather feed to be out of sync with the website data; they would prefer you visit their site, rather than receive the information in a XML feed.

That way you have to look at all their advertisements :D
smo69

Post by smo69 »

Ah!, I used your code look up by typing in my zip code, and nothing was coming up. Then I remembered that when I first went on Weather.com, it brought up a town that was next door, not necessarily mine. I typed that in instead, as Palisades Park, NJ, and boom, it worked. It's now showing the correct info.

This also means you were probably right about the wind in Central Park, NY. :rofl:

Thanks for the help!