It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:59 am

Error message "No skins available at C:\\Users\MYNAME\Music\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Anrchy256

Error message "No skins available at C:\\Users\MYNAME\Music\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

Post by Anrchy256 »

Hello, I don't understand this error message at all and have no idea how to change where the skins are located. Also when I attempt to install a new skin it will open the installer and start but never finish, it only continuously keeps loading. Please help!!
Anrchy256

Re: Error message "No skins available at C:\\Users\MYNAME\Music\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

Post by Anrchy256 »

Never mind I fixed the location, but a new problem arises. I don't know what this means: it says its unable to create whatever file of the skin i'm trying to install.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Error message "No skins available at C:\\Users\MYNAME\Music\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

Post by balala »

Have you restarted Rainmeter after changed the path of the Skins? Because this is absolutely needed. I mean completely restart: right click Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area and click Exit. Then restart Rainmeter from the Start menu.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

It would really help us help you if you gave us a copy of your Rainmeter settings; "About", "Version" tab, "Copy to clipboard" button, and paste in to this thread...

Example:
Rainmeter 4.3.0.3273 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-01-03 8:50:26
Commit Hash: d51b0947
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\John\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

That way we know what you installed.

For future reference, here is a good guideline to help us give you better answers to your questions. :welcome:

Thanks!
Anrchy256

Post by Anrchy256 »

4.2.0 r3111 64-bit (Jul 8 2018) - English (1033)
Windows 10 Home 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
SkinPath: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Defaults\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\mckea\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\mckea\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Anrchy256

Post by Anrchy256 »

and yes i have restarted it, i eventually fixed the issue by unzipping the skins with winrar and putting them in the skin folder but this means spotify players and custom skin setting menus dont work
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Anrchy256 wrote: January 5th, 2019, 2:32 am 4.2.0 r3111 64-bit (Jul 8 2018) - English (1033)
Windows 10 Home 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
SkinPath: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Defaults\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\mckea\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\mckea\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
The problem is your SkinPath setting: SkinPath: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Defaults\Skins\

The Program Files folder is protected by Windows and is not where user files (skins) should be stored because you do not have permission to write to that folder. The default skin there 'illustro' was installed when Rainmeter was installed, but you can not install any other skins there.

The default location is 'C:\Users\{yourname}\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins' because you have full permissions in that folder.

I would recommend creating those folders in your Document folder.

Then change the SkinsPath in your Rainmeter Settings. Open the Manage dialog from the Rainmeter notification icon, click the 'Edit Settings' button at the lower left. This will open your 'Rainmeter.ini' file. Change SkinPath=C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Defaults\Skins\ to SkinPath=C:\Users\mckea\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\. Save the file and exit and restart Rainmeter.

I can't think of any reason to use 'Program Files' and have to go through the multiple steps you mentioned, when using any folder you create in your 'User' folder simplifies the process.

Hope this helps...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Defaults\Skins\ is where Rainmeter initially installs the default illustro skins, only as a holding point until the first time Rainmeter is run, when it is copied to C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\. NEVER change your SkinPath to Program Files. Program Files is a protected folder, and applications are absolutely not allowed to use it to store data created after the initial installation of the program. YOU can write to it, if you are an administrator, but programs cannot. You can defeat that, but it means living without almost all the sensible security built into Windows.

It's why when you install an application you get a query "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your system?". It is asking you, presumably a human, to specifically allow the program to be installed to Program Files. After that, the program itself is restricted from writing to that folder, as if it was allowed, you would soon have pretty much nothing but viruses.

Rainmeter will NEVER write to C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\ after the initial installation. If installed normally, it won't try to, and in any case, Windows won't let it.
Anrchy256

Post by Anrchy256 »

Thank You! its all fixed and i can download and use skins normally again!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Anrchy256 wrote: January 5th, 2019, 3:32 am Thank You! its all fixed and i can download and use skins normally again!
Good deal!