It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:27 pm

WXData / Weather.com moon icons

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: WXData / Weather.com moon icons

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: December 30th, 2018, 9:55 pm Ok, my mistake indeed. When I read your post, where you've said:

then looked to the posted image, I thought you mean that the visible part of the Moon is always "horizontal". But you didn't say this, now I see.
Yes, you probably are right, in Singapore it is illuminated from bottom. It swinging a bit, but yes, it is illuminated from bottom.
My mistake, sorry...
No problem, don't worry. It was soomething I didn't know either, before reading about it. Maybe there are some exceptions to this "rule" sometimes, but as a general thing, it's definitely interesting. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Yincognito wrote: December 30th, 2018, 9:13 pm In case you were not joking or being sarcastic ... yes, it's actually "a thing", for some ... southerners :D
Thanks for the info! I'll have to fix my moon icon to account for this.
Yincognito wrote: December 30th, 2018, 9:45 pm "Closer to the Equator, the lunar terminator will appear horizontal during the morning and evening." Lunar Terminator = the "separator" between the light and the dark side of the moon.
Huh, you're right. That's cool.
2018-12-30 15_12_03-D__Settings_Caleb_Rainmeter_Skins_ModernGadgets_WeatherMeter_WeatherMeter.ini.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

raiguard wrote: December 30th, 2018, 10:13 pmHuh, you're right. That's cool.
Just found this, from Quito, Ecuador (which is exactly on the Equator). A photo that captures the moon at night over the city:

But as I said, there are sometimes exceptions, like this video seems to indicate (it was apparently filmed in Quito as well, just that the moon is lit from the top, not the bottom). Oh well, at least it's not illuminated from the left or right side... astronomy is complicated, haha.

SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: December 30th, 2018, 4:23 pm Does anyone know which icons wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/... is referencing in its <moon>'s <icon> entry from the output XML? So far, I see that 22 is the icon for Last Quarter, but what about the others?
I'm little late to this party, but to answer your question, the weather.com moon icon number is just the day, which ranges from 0 (new) to 29 (new again) (14 and 15 are full, I guess because 29/2 = 14.5...). The icons referenced in raiguard's post were actually created by me as part of my Gadgets suite. Someone (I forget who) took photos of the moon every day through the whole lunar cycle. I added the faint "dark side" detail and rotated them all so the terminator was vertical.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:13 amI'm little late to this party, but to answer your question, the weather.com moon icon number is just the day, which ranges from 0 (new) to 29 (new again) (14 and 15 are full, I guess because 29/2 = 14.5...).
This, I already knew - I mentioned it in my initial post. 14 and 15 are full also because the lit percentages are very close to 100 % (e.g. 99% or 98%) :D
SilverAzide wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:13 amThe icons referenced in raiguard's post were actually created by me as part of my Gadgets suite. Someone (I forget who) took photos of the moon every day through the whole lunar cycle. I added the faint "dark side" detail and rotated them all so the terminator was vertical.
Now this, I didn't know. The icons are great, very good looking - you've done a good job, so I thank you for this. ;-)
However, from what you wrote, it seems that these icons are not "official" wxdata icons, but more like NASA grabbed photos - correct me if I'm wrong. I was hoping that these were original wxdata icons, since I have done a similar job a couple of years ago (sample from my "database" then):
Moon 9d.png
Thinking about it, your icons do follow wxdata's methodology of having a duplicated full moon, so wherever they come from, they can be precisely linked to the numbers in the <icon> field - and that was the whole idea. I was not going to wait a month to see what numbers correspond to the actual moon lit percentages, so the replies were very useful in that respect.

EDIT: Hey, I almost forgot how brilliant are those gadgets! Super job :great:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

SilverAzide wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:13 am The icons referenced in raiguard's post were actually created by me as part of my Gadgets suite. Someone (I forget who) took photos of the moon every day through the whole lunar cycle. I added the faint "dark side" detail and rotated them all so the terminator was vertical.
Woah, you created the icons? Really nice job, they're very pretty. :thumbup:
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: December 31st, 2018, 3:29 amThinking about it, your icons do follow wxdata's methodology of having a duplicated full moon, so wherever they come from, they can be precisely linked to the numbers in the <icon> field - and that was the whole idea. I was not going to wait a month to see what numbers correspond to the actual moon lit percentages, so the replies were very useful in that respect.
LOL, I watched the wxdata feed every day for a whole month... :headbang:
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: December 31st, 2018, 5:38 am LOL, I watched the wxdata feed every day for a whole month... :headbang:
You're joking, right? :jawdrop
I mean... I would understand doing so after you finished the skins (you know, during the process of post-development and testing), but not before. I'm a very patient person, but waiting a month to write my next line of code would be unthinkable for me. O.O

What I would have done is just write a temporary version of the skin and then during that month, adjust it if needed. But then, maybe you've done it like that and I didn't get what you meant properly... :D
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

raiguard wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:36 am Woah, you created the icons? Really nice job, they're very pretty. :thumbup:
I think there is no need to use icons. raiguard, your Shape meter used into the Weather Meter skin of Modern Gadgets is much better then using a ready icon. I definitely prefer this approach, instead of some pngs.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: December 31st, 2018, 9:33 am I think there is no need to use icons. raiguard, your Shape meter used into the Weather Meter skin of Modern Gadgets is much better then using a ready icon. I definitely prefer this approach, instead of some pngs.
I agree with you, in a way. I followed a little your talks on the matter, and that shape is definitely different and looks more slick (aka "modern", a la Windows 10 style). But then, of course, the implementation is a little more complex than just putting there some PNGs.

I've walked that road as well, with my first set of skins (not the skins I'm using now, though). I tried to illustrate exactly how the sky, celestial bodies and weather would look like for any minute and second of the day, for every geographic coordinate. That included the (dynamic, changing every minute or so) brightness of the sky / light at whatever moment of the day (all types of twilight, transit, azimuths, etc.), the moon phases and its exact images (even moon's size as seen from Earth, if I remember correctly), plus the weather itself. I had 3 layers (the sky, celestial bodies and weather layers) that I used just like in Photoshop, one on the top of other, with transparency, color tint (to simulate the brightness/darkness), and so on...

I came to a point where I was very proud of how it looked (bar the weather layer, which I left for the end, it looked exactly like the sky at my location whenever I looked at it)... but had to halt the development when I found out that near the poles things were completely messed up. That wasn't exactly my fault, it was just how things are there (e.g. sun rising multiple times during the day, much longer periods of twilight, etc). I had lots of formulas to handle things and I wasn't in the mood to add the huge exceptions at higher latitudes, so it became an abandoned project (if, by any - very slim - chance, someone is interested, I can post the weather skin somewhere, for further development). For the next set of skins, I made things much simpler, and much more efficient in terms of resource usage - that's why I said that every option has its advantages and disadvantages, especially for a weather skin.