It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:28 pm

WXData / Weather.com moon icons

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

WXData / Weather.com moon icons

Post by Yincognito »

Does anyone know which icons wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/... is referencing in its <moon>'s <icon> entry from the output XML? So far, I see that 22 is the icon for Last Quarter, but what about the others? What I'm interested is not so much the icons, but the approximate % of the moon lit for that number. I'm aware of the particularities of the moon phases, the synodic month, the northern vs southern hemisphere difference and all, I'm just interested in what generic icons (and moon lit %) wxdata's XML is pointing to.

The <moon>'s <icon> number for the other main phases of the moon would also help, if you somehow remember them (e.g. 7 or 8 for First Quarter, etc.) - as long as they are exactly what wxdata's XML feed is using. I'm looking to display moon info like Moon: Last Quarter, 22 days (cca. 50% left-side lit) in my skins.

Note: I can't increase or decrease the moon lit % linearly, proportionally to the age of the moon (aka the number wxdata is more or less indicating in the <icon> field), because the moon lit % increase or decrease is more like a sinusoidal line, not a straight one. I'm also not interested in taking the moon lit % from other sites, I just need an approximate for wxdata's <icon> values.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
raiguard

Re: WXData / Weather.com moon icons

Post by raiguard »

In total, there are 30 moon icons that WXDATA will use. 0, obviously, is New Moon. First quarter is at 7, Full Moon is both 14 and 15 (for some reason), Last Quarter is at 22, and 29 is another New Moon.

In case you need to reference them yourself, here is a screenshot of all of the icons in File Explorer:
2018-12-30 11_39_16-WxIcons.png
I hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

raiguard wrote: December 30th, 2018, 6:40 pm In total, there are 30 moon icons that WXDATA will use. 0, obviously, is New Moon. First quarter is at 7, Full Moon is both 14 and 15 (for some reason), Last Quarter is at 22, and 29 is another New Moon.

In case you need to reference them yourself, here is a screenshot of all of the icons in File Explorer. I hope this helps!
That's fantastic, raiguard - just what I needed! I can deal with moon lit % approximations (actually, I already did), but what those icons/numbers represent (aside from the moon age in days), now that's what I was looking for. Many thanks again! :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Note that raiguard's icons are good for northern hemisphere. For the southern one, you probably will have to flip them horizontally.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

balala wrote: December 30th, 2018, 8:15 pm Note that raiguard's icons are good for northern hemisphere. For the southern one, you probably will have to flip them horizontally.
Wait, really? This is a thing?
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

raiguard wrote: December 30th, 2018, 8:42 pm Wait, really? This is a thing?
I think it is. It would be normal. I never was in the southern hemisphere, but I think it's alright.
Could confirm someone who lives there?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

raiguard wrote: December 30th, 2018, 8:42 pm Wait, really? This is a thing?
In case you were not joking or being sarcastic ... yes, it's actually "a thing", for some ... southerners :D
balala wrote: December 30th, 2018, 8:15 pm Note that raiguard's icons are good for northern hemisphere. For the southern one, you probably will have to flip them horizontally.
Rest assured, balala, it was already taken care of a while ago in my skins:

Code: Select all

[MS_Rainmeter_Weather_CurrentCondition_Moon_Lit_Side]
Group=WeatherDerivativeGroup
Measure=Calc
Formula=((MS_WebParser_Weather_CurrentCondition_Moon_Icon)<=15?Sgn(MS_WebParser_Weather_Location_Latitude):(-Sgn(MS_WebParser_Weather_Location_Latitude)))
UpdateDivider=-1
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="(^\s+|\s+$)":"","^-1$":"L-","^1$":"R-","^0$":"B-"
Basically, it's all about the sign of the latitude provided by wxdata.weather.com, while also considering whether the day is after the full moon or not. I'm even handling the Equator, LOL (L-Lit means leftside-lit, R-Lit means rightside-lit, and B-Lit means bottom-lit) ... thankfully to a site about the moon in Singapore, which is always illuminated from the bottom. They even have it on their coat of arms :D

NOTE: I'm not actually displaying the icons, I'm just "describing" them in the tooltip.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: December 30th, 2018, 9:13 pm ... thankfully to a site about the moon in Singapore, which is always illuminated from the bottom. They even have it on their coat of arms :D

I doubt it would be. It's just a sign, not always real.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: December 30th, 2018, 9:32 pm I doubt it would be. It's just a sign, not always real.
Don't doubt it, my friend - signs (and stories as well, but that's another topic) are almost always based on something real. But if you still doubt it, check here or here (the latter being the site that made me aware of the thing).

Also from wiki: "Closer to the Equator, the lunar terminator will appear horizontal during the morning and evening." Lunar Terminator = the "separator" between the light and the dark side of the moon.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ok, my mistake indeed. When I read your post, where you've said:
Yincognito wrote: December 30th, 2018, 9:13 pm which is always illuminated from the bottom.
then looked to the posted image, I thought you mean that the visible part of the Moon is always "horizontal". But you didn't say this, now I see.
Yes, you probably are right, in Singapore it is illuminated from bottom. It swinging a bit, but yes, it is illuminated from bottom.
My mistake, sorry...