It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:19 pm

Possible bug in the installer / skin installer?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Possible bug in the installer / skin installer?

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, I like Rainmeter to keep a birds-eye-view on things...

Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Gosh, it's beautiful! Unfortunately, I can't use the visual might of Rainmeter fully, for practical reasons: it takes space on the screen, in the Stay Topmost scenario that I use. The setup you used might be suited for a clear Windows screen, but when you have another application window active, you can't set the skins to Stay Topmost, really.

That meant I had to design my skins to take the least space as possible - thus their size. This way, for example, I can see a Chrome tab text or click on close that tab without giving up on seeing the skins at all times. Now with my updated design and my "one row" layout, I have them like a 12px bar at the top of my screen, without negatively affecting anything:
MYiniMeter 1.3.0.jpg
I had plans to make a feeds ticker in Rainmeter as well, if you remember, but had to give up for the same reason: it takes too much space for my needs. Fortunaly there are some Chrome extensions using the Windows 10 notification capabilities, so that settled it. I miss my "old" feeds ticker from Firefox though - it took some CPU usage, but it was one of the best extensions I ever used, from a practical POV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, with my moderately wide monitor, 1920px, I can easily work with the Rainmeter skins on the right and bottom and keep my other applications sized to fit in the remaining space. Then I don't have to fight with Stay on top.

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Of course I have a second monitor for some other Rainmeter stuff to live on...

2.jpg
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

So It's not hard to work in that free area on my desktop...

3.jpg
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

I tried a similar approach to yours, but forcing applications to occupy a certain space on the screen (using Rainmeter's settings, of course). Some applications or events however broke Rainmeter's setup at times, so I've given up on that idea. I can't do much with such an approach on a 1366x768 px laptop screen anyway, not to mention that I have a (weird?) preference for maximized windows - those are not vulnerable to occasional window moves, change of position, etc. My screen is small enough as it is (and I like it like that) and some applications actually need such a resolution as a minimum, to be able to take that road...

I do have a monitor from my old PC that I could use as a second monitor, but that would defeat the whole purpose of having a laptop, IMHO.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yep, to each his own for sure, I'm more of a desktop / huge monitor guy. I have my Kindle Fire HD 10 tablet and my LG G7 ThinQ phone for "portable" needs.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: December 20th, 2018, 2:59 pm Yep, to each his own for sure, I'm more of a desktop / huge monitor guy. I have my Kindle Fire HD 10 tablet and my LG G7 ThinQ phone for "portable" needs.
I used to be a desktop guy as well, until I realized that I did too much of a heavy lifting when moving my desktop around (the case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer/scanner, audio system, etc. combined), when I temporarily changed "homes" a couple of years ago. I have friends with that huge screens obsession too, so I get what you mean. For me now, nothing beats a laptop if you want to have the best of both worlds (desktop+mobile) on a single device. I'm also using my smartphone for light stuff sometimes, but you wouldn't want to use it for more 'advanced' stuff like video & image editing, programming, TV tuner recording or real games, now would you? :uhuh:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: December 20th, 2018, 3:20 pm I used to be a desktop guy as well, until I realized that I did too much of a heavy lifting when moving my desktop around (the case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer/scanner, audio system, etc. combined), when I temporarily changed "homes" a couple of years ago. I have friends with that huge screens obsession too, so I get what you mean. For me now, nothing beats a laptop if you want to have the best of both worlds (desktop+mobile) on a single device. I'm also using my smartphone for light stuff sometimes, but you wouldn't want to use it for more 'advanced' stuff like video & image editing, programming, TV tuner recording or real games, now would you? :uhuh:
No, I wouldn't. Of course I wouldn't do video or image editing or play real games on a 15 or 17 inch laptop monitor either. I want my 32 inch beast for that... ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: December 20th, 2018, 3:46 pm No, I wouldn't. Of course I wouldn't do video or image editing or play real games on a 15 or 17 inch laptop monitor either. I want my 32 inch beast for that... ;-)
As long as it has Rainmeter on it, you can't go wrong... 8-)