It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:25 pm

Possible bug in the installer / skin installer?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Possible bug in the installer / skin installer?

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:13 pm I resist that you have found and eliminated all calls to the PerfMon plugin, since Rainmeter appears to be crashing due to that plugin .dll. In any case though, it shouldn't crash due to using PerfMon, which leads me to believe that you have an issue with your Windows perfmon database. That is not entirely uncommon.
Well, I attached the skin suite in my initial post, you can see for yourself. I already had all my .ini-s loaded in Notepad++ and, aside from instances in the comments, there's no hit for "perfmon" (case insensitive) in all the opened files. So ... you can "desist" on that :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Quick question: do I have to create the Disable Performance Counters=0 key in regedit, if it's not present whatsoever, or it defaults to 0 if not found in the registry? Because I don't have the key there (I don't have the 1010 key either).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:22 pm Well, I attached the skin suite in my initial post, you can see for yourself. I already had all my .ini-s loaded in Notepad++ and, aside from instances in the comments, there's no hit for "perfmon" (case insensitive) in all the opened files. So ... you can "desist" on that :D
Uh huh... ;-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:28 pm Quick question: do I have to create the Disable Performance Counters=0 key in regedit, if it's not present whatsoever, or it defaults to 0 if not found in the registry? Because I don't have the key there (I don't have the 1010 key either).
I'm pretty sure it defaults to 0 and isn't needed.

If you are ever getting any results from UsageMonitor, PerfMon or AdvancedCPU, that key is fine. If that is set to "1", you won't get anything.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:29 pm I'm pretty sure it defaults to 0 and isn't needed.

If you are ever getting any results from UsageMonitor, PerfMon or AdvancedCPU, that key is fine. If that is set to "1", you won't get anything.
Ok, I have news, but they are not good. I've completed all the recommended steps from your kindly provided link (even run sfc one more time, as instructed) and it didn't solve the issue at all, meaning Rainmeter doesn't start up with the OS (it's the first restart after completing the steps, but I'll try another one just to be sure). I did get error 2 when running lodctr, but at the 2nd attempt it worked, as well as the x64 one. Ran into detected issues with sfc as well, but they were fixed and running it the 2nd time detected no issues. Just as the last time, Rainmeter crashes at startup, according to the Windows Event Log.

Basically, it's not the performance counter database issue. And yes, indeed, UsageMonitor always provided data, so that key surely defaulted to 0, just as we both suspected.

Notes:
1) the beta upgrade or the recommended steps do appear to have solved one issue though: now my battery skin is providing the discharge rate immediately, unlike before, when I had to run Rainmeter a second time with admin rights to have that info displayed.
2) I noticed that I had another folder probably created by the Event Log save, that I didn't include in the Event Log .zip file earlier, so here it is the complete .zip, if it helps:
Rainmeter Crash At Startup.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Oh, and one more thing that changed compared to my previous setups - I mention it although it shouldn't matter: I recently converted all my .inc & .ini files to UCS-2 LE BOM using the corresponding menu command in Notepad++, since I had issues displaying the degree symbol in some of my "old format" skins. I don't know if that counts as useful info, but nevertheless, it is one of the few things that changed compared to before.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, I'm not sure.

I would be tempted to do a complete "clean-install" of a vanilla Rainmeter.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/clean-rainmeter-uninstall/

And see if that, with none of your skins or any 3rd-party plugins, works as expected.

If so, then it is some skin you are running, or more to the point some 3rd-party plugin you are running that is the likely problem, and you can figure that out by adding stuff in a little at a time til you hit it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: December 19th, 2018, 6:30 pm Well, I'm not sure.

I would be tempted to do a complete "clean-install" of a vanilla Rainmeter.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/clean-rainmeter-uninstall/

And see if that, with none of your skins or any 3rd-party plugins, works as expected.

If so, then it is some skin you are running, or more to the point some 3rd-party plugin you are running that is the likely problem, and you can figure that out by adding stuff in a little at a time til you hit it.
Well, I already did that when uninstalling and reinstalling Rainmeter before, I always liked clean installation of software - the only thing that didn't cross my mind was to let the default Illustro skin and see if it loads. Now I've done exactly as you suggested, same result. At least now we know it's not any of my skins or the included MSI AB plugin, because it doesn't start with Windows even with the default Illustro loaded (and no installation of my skin suite). The event log errors regarding PerfMon.DLL are still there, by the way.

Thanks for the suggestion though, as it eliminated another possible culprit from the list ;-)

P.S. It again probably doesn't matter, as I've gone past that, but while migrating from AdvancedCPU+PerfMon+NomFerp to UsageMonitor, I had a serious "crash" of Rainmeter, where it didn't even start after a clean reinstall, despite not loading the skins that I thought were possible at fault. I don't remember exactly how I fixed the issue, but I did - I think it was related to conflicts between PerfMon and UsageMonitor or maybe that I had the log window active and maximized when the crash occured. I don't think it matters much because now I only have UsageMonitor and it all works well when doing things manually. Automatic is best though, especially for a software like Rainmeter, whose whole purpose is starting with Windows and displaying the desired info at all times.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well I'm not sure what to tell you.

If you in fact did a REALLY clean uninstall of Rainmeter, and by that I mean uninstalling it with Windows, then renaming or deleting any existing:

C:\Program Files\Rainmeter
C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter
C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter

Then reboot, and do an entirely fresh install of the latest beta from http://www.rainmeter.net. Letting it load the default illustro skins.

I can't see any way that can crash having anything to do with PerfMon.dll, as that won't ever be loaded.

Anyway, if you actually did all of that, exactly as above, then I'm stumped. Rainmeter just hates something about your system.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

I did all that, bar the reboot between the uninstall and reinstall (but rebooted after reinstalling, of course). I will proceed again with a reboot between the "old" and the "new" and edit this post with the result. Personally, I don't think it will make any difference, but then, it's you who has the most knowledge on this (although I'm far from a beginner in that aspect as well). I'll edit this within minutes to let you know how things worked out.