It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:02 pm

Plugin for monitoring R/W from network disks ?

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
krakoukas

Plugin for monitoring R/W from network disks ?

Post by krakoukas »

Hi Friends,

I'm trying to build a HDD monitor with :

- Read/sec,
- Write/sec,
- Disk Usage
- and Temperature

This works very well with local HDD. I use Perfmon plugin for R/W, HWInfo plugin for Temperature and FreeDiskSpace for Disk Usage
This approach doesn't seem to work with Network Disks (from my NAS)

Is there a way to monitor READ, WRITE and TEMPERATURE from a mounted drive (such as X: = \\MyNAS\Disk-X ) ?

Thanks a lot for your help
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Plugin for monitoring R/W from network disks ?

Post by balala »

krakoukas wrote: December 17th, 2018, 2:13 pm I use Perfmon plugin for R/W,
This isn't an answer to your question, but I'd recommend to not use the PerfMon plugin, because it is deprecated. Instead you should have to use the UsageMonitor plugin.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter itself does not read any of the disk information like read/write or temperature. It uses whatever is available from the external sources, in this case the perfmon database in Windows for getting disk read/write with the UsageMonitor plugin, and temperature with the HWiNFO plugin. So it all depends on what those see. I suspect not, but I don't have a network mounted disk to test with perfmon or HWiNFO.

If you can find some external application that 1) can monitor the information you want from remotely mounted disks, and 2) can write to some kind of text log file with the information, then in theory you could read and parse that log file with WebParser.
krakoukas

Post by krakoukas »

balala wrote: December 17th, 2018, 3:25 pm This isn't an answer to your question, but I'd recommend to not use the PerfMon plugin, because it is deprecated. Instead you should have to use the UsageMonitor plugin.
Thanks for advice Balala. The code is updated with UsageMonitor Plugin and works great :

Code: Select all

[MeasureDisque_C_Lecture]
			Measure=Plugin
			Plugin=UsageMonitor
			Category=LogicalDisk
			Counter=Disk Read Bytes/sec
			Name=#Disque_C#:
			UpdateDivider=#RefreshModule#

[MeasureDisque_C_Lecture_Formatee]
			Measure=Calc
			Formula=MeasureDisque_C_Lecture

[MeasureDisque_C_Ecriture]
			Measure=Plugin
			Plugin=UsageMonitor
			Category=LogicalDisk
			Counter=Disk Write Bytes/sec
			Name=#Disque_C#:
			UpdateDivider=#RefreshModule#

[MeasureDisque_C_Ecriture_Formatee]
			Measure=Calc
			Formula=MeasureDisque_C_Ecriture
Now I wonder how I can easily monitor Read/Write on network drives :s Thanks jsmorley for inspiration :welcome:
Both Perfmon and HWiNFO don't see network drives
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

krakoukas wrote: December 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm The code is updated with UsageMonitor Plugin and works great :
I'm glad.
krakoukas wrote: December 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm Now I wonder how I can easily monitor Read/Write on network drives :s
Not sure, because I'm not using network drives. How are you referencing to a such drive? Do they have a drive letter, or how?
krakoukas

Post by krakoukas »

balala wrote: December 18th, 2018, 1:42 pm Not sure, because I'm not using network drives. How are you referencing to a such drive? Do they have a drive letter, or how?
My network drives have letters in Windows such as E: and X:
They are mounted from \\NAS\Disk-E and \\NAS\Disk-X
I can't see these 2 network drives in HwInfo Shared Memory (no R/W monitor possible)
Same issue with UsageMonitor and network drives : if I use Name=X: in the Measure, it doesn't work. I didn't try \\NAS\Disk-X

Any way to access perfmon from a LAN computer instead of localhost ?
Installing HWInfo on the NAS... Does that help solving the problem ?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

krakoukas wrote: December 18th, 2018, 2:16 pm My network drives have letters in Windows such as E: and X:
They are mounted from \\NAS\Disk-E and \\NAS\Disk-X
I can't see these 2 network drives in HwInfo Shared Memory (no R/W monitor possible)
Same issue with UsageMonitor and network drives : if I use Name=X: in the Measure, it doesn't work. I didn't try \\NAS\Disk-X

Any way to access perfmon from a LAN computer instead of localhost ?
Installing HWInfo on the NAS... Does that help solving the problem ?
Not too much ideas from my part. As I said I'm not using a such drive, so don't know how to work with it. I has been suppose if there is a drive letter, you can work with it same way as with a local drive, but if I was mistaken have no more ideas. Sorry. :confused:
krakoukas

Post by krakoukas »

Hi Friends !

For the moment, i choose the easy and coward way : having local drives as much as possible :Whistle
I moved 4 USB removable disks (Western Digital MyBook) to my main computer and I'm now able to monitor 7 drives with Read/Write/Freespace/Temperature (plugin UsageMonitor and HwInfo) :

There's now another problem with HWInfo plugin and removable disks ^^
HwInfo Instance for each removable disk keeps changing after a reboot

Example:
USB Removable Disk 14 -> ID 0x1000000 / Instance 0x5 in HWiNFO
After reboot : ID 0x1000000 / Instance 0x3 in HWiNFO

More : If I shutdown 2 removable disks and power them on : they will not necessary obtain the same Instance :s

Hey, looks like HWinfo can be remote :
http://forum.dataton.com/topic/2505-monitoring-display-pc-via-network-with-hwinfo64-v530-upwards/
https://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/15/hwinfo32-and-hwinfo64-5-0-ship-with-remote-sensor-monitoring/
But I didn't manage to install HWiNFO on my Windows Storage Server 2003 NAS. Even portable version
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

krakoukas wrote: December 19th, 2018, 11:34 amThere's now another problem with HWInfo plugin and removable disks ^^
HwInfo Instance for each removable disk keeps changing after a reboot
This is not an HWiNFO issue; this is the way Windows works. Device IDs are assigned by Windows in whatever order the drives come on-line. This will even happen with fixed (non-removable) disks.
krakoukas

Post by krakoukas »

SilverAzide wrote: December 19th, 2018, 12:33 pm This is not an HWiNFO issue; this is the way Windows works. Device IDs are assigned by Windows in whatever order the drives come on-line. This will even happen with fixed (non-removable) disks.
Thank you for the info SilverAzide