It is currently April 16th, 2024, 9:21 pm

Batch downscaling images?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
raiguard

Batch downscaling images?

Post by raiguard »

I have a bunch of weather images that I would like to downscale. In their present form, they are 2000x2000 each, and the entire thing totals to over 5 megabytes! That is almost as large as the rest of my suite combined.

I could go through and downscale these images one at a time, but that would be a royal pain. So does anybody know of a way to downscale multiple images at once, assuming they are all the same size and need to be downscaled to the same size?

I think 500x500 is plenty big for a wide variety of skin scales.

There are many duplicates in the attached folder, because they are designed to go along with the Weather.com WxData weather codes. I can't seem to locate the original folder I downloaded that didn't have duplicates (and had more icons that I didn't end up using), but if I do manage to find it, I'll also attach it below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Batch downscaling images?

Post by eclectic-tech »

Imagemagick can do this from the command line... https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=32899#p150745

There are several other imagemagick tools you could use: convert or mogrify are two that can resize (and much more). 8-)

Haven't tried this with your files, but I have used Imagemagick in several projects and would recommend having it in your toolbag if you do any work with images. :thumbup:
azazello

Post by azazello »

Try this light image resizer
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

I used IrfanView (https://www.irfanview.com/) and used its batch-converting feature.
And, as i had some spare seconds, converted your images (with a compression factor of 6 in case you're interested; but i think they still look good):
Weather_Small_500x500.ZIP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

So I finally remembered to check this thread... thanks for the info guys!

ikarus, I downloaded the set you made and there seems to be a strange issue: all of the clouds are black, and the colors are screwed up. This isn't true for every icon, but most of them. See the below screenshot:
2018-11-16 20_41_51-weather.png
Any ideas?
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

to be honest, i have no idea what was going wrong or why some of them got a black background. I just packed them again and uploaded the zip.
weather_500x500.ZIP
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

@raiguard: could you please tell me what program is the base for your screenshot with the black thumbnails? Maybe that program has some kind of "hiccup" when displaying the thumbnails?
azazello

Post by azazello »

ikarus1969
Something's wrong :???:
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

azazello wrote: November 19th, 2018, 7:19 am ikarus1969
Something's wrong :???:
what number is that picture in raiguards original post please?
azazello

Post by azazello »

ikarus1969 wrote: November 19th, 2018, 7:25 am what number is that picture in raiguards original post please?
If I understand correctly the question is still