It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:55 pm

Crash of Rainmeter when using certain skins

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Crash of Rainmeter when using certain skins

Post by jsmorley »

Ananda96 wrote: November 14th, 2018, 1:16 am I'd like to jump into this issue, just registered to report the same trouble.
yesterda i actualized Win10 from very buggy retired OLD 1809 to 1903 fast ring and Rainmeter crashes on startup.
so i did a clean uninstall and wiped all folders and registry, then installed the latest Beta 4.3**** again and skin by skin, the skin who makes Rainmeter crash is ELEGANCE 2, this is a nice TIME and Date Skin i love to use...so then i figured out that ALL Time and Date RELATED skins make Rainmeter also crash again.
I'm not sure whether the creation Date has to do something with this, they are from 2011 if i am not reading it wrong...but yesterday with the buggy 1809 everything worked fine..
so anything what has do something with DATE doesn't work anymore, weather skins work fine....
Is this only with the skins in Elegance 2, or is this an issue for you with any skin that uses the Time measure?

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/basic-tutorials/clock/

I'd be shocked if the issue was the Time measure(s). I'm more suspicious of the LocalFont options used in the Date and Time skins in that Elegance 2 suite. That was long ago deprecated in Rainmeter, but should still work, unless Windows has changed something with dynamically loading fonts that way in the Insider Preview.
Ananda96

Post by Ananda96 »

Yes i first tried ELEGANCE 1....same...
then i tried 2-3 others with the same result....they crash on Rainmeter start....short appear in taskmanager and disappear.
so as a simple user i can see it has something to do with those kinda skins...
right now i downloaded HTC sense Clocks as a replacement but it's not the same :-(
but it works....as i can see everything works fine BUT all Time and Date related skins doen't.

as you can see i wrote a comment here:
https://www.deviantart.com/lilshizzy/art/Rainmeter-Elegance-2-244373054
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ananda96 wrote: November 14th, 2018, 2:14 pm Yes i first tried ELEGANCE 1....same...
then i tried 2-3 others with the same result....they crash on Rainmeter start....short appear in taskmanager and disappear.
so as a simple user i can see it has something to do with those kinda skins...
right now i downloaded HTC sense Clocks as a replacement but it's not the same :-(
but it works....as i can see everything works fine BUT all Time and Date related skins doen't.

as you can see i wrote a comment here:
https://www.deviantart.com/lilshizzy/art/Rainmeter-Elegance-2-244373054
I'm still very suspicious that Windows has done something that causes the deprecated LocalFont functionality not to work. Can you test this skin?

TestDateTime_1.0.rmskin
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ananda96

Post by Ananda96 »

I am not sure what that is - nothing crashes when i click on load each of one - but NOTHING APPEARS, there is "nothing"!, no Skin appears...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ananda96 wrote: November 14th, 2018, 5:22 pm I am not sure what that is - nothing crashes when i click on load each of one - but NOTHING APPEARS, there is "nothing"!, no Skin appears...
Doesn't surprise me, because the skins are using a few included files, like Elegance2\Config\Default.inc, or Elegance2\Config\Styles.inc, which we (me at least definitely) don't have. But those files would absolutely be needed to can see the skins. They are not included, their original location being a config named (as you see above) Elegance2. Due to this, their content can't be used by the loaded skins and you see nothing on the screen, although the skins are loaded. I also can't see nothing.
So please jsmorely, could you please take a look at the uploaded package and give us the missing files, too?
Additional tip, jsmorely: I hope you don't mind, but I wouldn't expect you to upload skins with all those old and deprecated bangs, like !Execute and the !Rainmeter bang prefix.
Ananda96

Post by Ananda96 »

yes i have done all DISM orders and SFC/scannnow 3 days ago and nothing have been found...
right now i have a clean build, better running as this crap before.....
as BALALA wrote...those are empty skins, LOL....
so looking forward.....would be glad to get the skin working again.....
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ananda96 wrote: November 14th, 2018, 7:04 pm as BALALA wrote...those are empty skins, LOL....
NO, THEY ARE NOT at all!
Just we don't have all needed resources (included files), that's why the skins aren't shown up.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sorry, try this:
TestDateTime_2.0.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

EDIT: JSMorley beat me by 1 minute! Oh well, perhaps one of these will work...

Try this package... I moved the Fonts folder to @Resources and commented out the include lines for local font.
These skins work on my PC

Rainmeter 4.3.0.3260 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2018-10-16 8:38:34
Commit Hash: c99884c7
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\John\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

Note: This package will replace the Elegance2 version you currently have; back it up if you made any additions or changes...