It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 3:02 pm

New here and to RainMeter

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
Christer

Re: New here and to RainMeter

Post by Christer »

Added some MouseOverAction :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You are well on your way... :TrainRight
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Christer wrote: October 26th, 2018, 1:23 pm Added some MouseOverAction :)
Two comments:
  • In the Clock.ini file you've set the SolidColor=0,0,0,1 option two times for each String meter: once into the [TextStyle] section and secondly into each String meter which uses the above style (for example into [MeterTime] meter). Although this doesn't give error, nor its needed, setting it once is enough. As I said before what I'd do would be to remove all these SolidColor options and would add just once into the [Rainmeter] section, along with a BackgroundMode=2 option. This way the whole skin would have the invisible background.
  • In the Launcher.ini file the situation is even worse, because since you added those SolidColor options same way to every meter, if you click or right click between the meters this click isn't encountered. Adding the SolidColor to [Rainmeter] section fixes this issue, too.
Christer

Post by Christer »

balala wrote: October 26th, 2018, 2:08 pm Two comments:
  • In the Clock.ini file you've set the SolidColor=0,0,0,1 option two times for each String meter: once into the [TextStyle] section and secondly into each String meter which uses the above style (for example into [MeterTime] meter). Although this doesn't give error, nor its needed, setting it once is enough. As I said before what I'd do would be to remove all these SolidColor options and would add just once into the [Rainmeter] section, along with a BackgroundMode=2 option. This way the whole skin would have the invisible background.
  • In the Launcher.ini file the situation is even worse, because since you added those SolidColor options same way to every meter, if you click or right click between the meters this click isn't encountered. Adding the SolidColor to [Rainmeter] section fixes this issue, too.
Thanks for the info, think Ive got it this time :p Made a dropdown launcher that looks like shit, but its working(also made those changes to clock and launcher) :)

Been reading a bit about transitions, but do i have to create a transition.lua file and link that into launcher.ini, or could I make transition styling inside the launcher.ini ? https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=12953
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would be tempted to stay away from that Lua script from Kaelri, as it is pretty old now, and we have added some features to Rainmeter that can help with doing "transitions" right in the skin .ini file.

First though, I would caution that there is nothing built-in that makes it trivial to do transitions of meters. Colors, Sizes, Transparency, Position, those are all things that you might like to transition from one state to another, but it is moderately advanced. You might want to consider making sure you have your head wrapped around how Rainmeter skins works, and get a skin or skins set up to look and act the way you want without worrying about transitions initially.

Once you are ready, and I'm certainly not discouraging it, we need some example of what you mean by "transition" for your needs. What are you trying to transition, from what to what? Then we can weigh in with some ideas.

They will almost certainly be based on the ActionTimer plugin:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/actiontimer/

If you "Download" the .rmskin included with the example code at the bottom, there are some examples that can be helpful with different kinds of "transitions".
Christer

Post by Christer »

Thank god! That Kaelri lua script looked way too advanced for me xD

I was thinking about transition time for MouseOverAction. Like changing font color from white to blue, but with a smooth transition. Or maybe make the links slide in/out.

Was hoping there was an easy way like in CSS, "Transition" - "Transition time" - "Function"
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Christer wrote: October 27th, 2018, 2:17 pm Thank god! That Kaelri lua script looked way too advanced for me xD

I was thinking about transition time for MouseOverAction. Like changing font color from white to blue, but with a smooth transition. Or maybe make the links slide in/out.

Was hoping there was an easy way like in CSS, "Transition" - "Transition time" - "Function"
Nothing quite that easy, but these things can be done with ActionTimer. Color is a bit tricky, since a color is made of of three components, Red/Green/Blue, and changing from one color to another will almost certainly mean transitioning more than one of them. Sliding in and out isn't too hard, you might look at some of the examples in that .rmskin in the docs for ActionTimer.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

For colors, you might look at the ShiftColors example in the .rmskin.
Christer

Post by Christer »

Okay, thank you for that link :)
Gonna spend the weekend wrapping my head around how it works :p
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Christer wrote: October 27th, 2018, 2:25 pm Okay, thank you for that link :)
Gonna spend the weekend wrapping my head around how it works :p
We will be glad to help if you get stuck.

The root of it is a pretty simple concept. You want to have some starting value for a variable(s) that controls some state. Might be color, size, transparency, position. Then you want a mouse action, a mouse "over" or "click" to fire an ActionTimer measure that changes the value(s) of the variables(s) in small increments from one state to another. There will generally be two components of this, once that changes "to the new state" and one that changes "back to the original state".

The examples in that .rmskin should help to get you started, then we can address specific questions.