It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:26 pm

Installing Rainmeter

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
helpfixmycomp

Re: Installing Rainmeter

Post by helpfixmycomp »

I want to download a skin called Fountain of Colors, but I get a message that says "How do you want to open this file?" and I don't have any apps to choose from. What should I do?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

With that dialog from Windows, go find the SkinInstaller.exe program that will be in the portable folder you installed Rainmeter to. Tell it to "Always use the program to open these kinds of files". From then on, it should use that program automatically.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I still say you should have to try installing something else then Rainmeter. Any free soft would be good, just to see if it installs correctly.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would open a cmd.exe command window, and do this:
1.png
I'd be interested to see what he has set for %ProgramFiles%
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

I'll try to install something else tonight, but here is the command prompt:
Attachments
Screenshot (7).png
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 3:15 pm I'll try to install something else tonight, but here is the command prompt:
Well, that looks right. I'm entirely stumped why Rainmeter would try to install to your user folder instead of C:\Program Files. I have never seen anything like that before.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 3:19 pm I'm entirely stumped why Rainmeter would try to install to your user folder instead of C:\Program Files. I have never seen anything like that before.
That's why I said helpfixmycomp to try to install something else. To see if it installs properly in C:\Program Files or something will go wrong again.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 3:22 pm That's why I said helpfixmycomp to try to install something else. To see if it installs properly in C:\Program Files or something will go wrong again.
I'm wondering if there is some bits and pieces of an aborted installation of Rainmeter in his user folder. I'd be tempted to go look for that, and clean up anything in C:\Users\MyName or C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming that looks like Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

helpfixmycomp,

If you want to install the free TeamViewer from https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/, and then get on our Rainmeter IRC channel at https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#rainmeter, we can get in a private chat and I can get on your computer and take a look at what is going on. Entirely up to you, but I'd be willing to do so if you want.
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

I am pretty sure that I would have bits of previous Rainmeter installations left over.

I would like if you could go on my computer to fix it but I would have to ask my Dad because he always wants me to be very careful on the internet. It is a dangerous place...
Would you be able to access my entire computer or only things that relate to Rainmeter?