It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:16 am

A poll for everyone

General topics related to Rainmeter.
kyriakos876

A poll for everyone

Post by kyriakos876 »

Hello,
I was wondering what people think on this one:
At what percentages would you consider the CPU to be "Norma/Busy/Full load" ?

0-50% :FingerRight normal
50-80% :FingerRight busy
80-100% :FingerRight full load

What would you put? :)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: A poll for everyone

Post by jsmorley »

Not a scale that entirely makes sense to me. It all depends on what I am doing at any given time.

When I'm more or less at rest, when I'm just reading an article in my browser or something, with my usual suite of Rainmeter skins running, I would expect it to be 1%-4% or so.

If I am actively doing something, I would expect that to be transitory, to only be impacting the CPU for some small duration of time, based on what I am doing. Loading PhotoShop, compiling a build of Rainmeter, watching a video, whatever. I would be perfectly happy with a CPU load of 10%-50% for those kinds of activities.

If my CPU gets above 60% or so for any length of time, that would get my attention. I would consider that "working hard". There may be a perfectly good reason, but I'd want to know what it is.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I tend to judge things more by temperatures and fan speeds than I do CPU load really, although they are certainly related.

When I'm not doing anything extensive on my system, I like a CPU temperature of about 15-17 degrees, and a fairly low CPU fan speed of 3500rpm or so. A short spike of CPU, loading cnn.com in my browser or something, which might spike it to 45% or so for a couple of seconds, won't impact those values. If my temperature stays above 25 degrees or so, or my CPU fan increases in order to fight to keep the temperature low, I'd be curious to know what is running that hard for that long.

This is one of my more useful skins:
1.png
Or something like this:
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

jsmorley wrote: October 21st, 2018, 2:06 pm I tend to judge things more by temperatures and fan speeds than I do CPU load really, although they are certainly related.

When I'm not doing anything extensive on my system, I like a CPU temperature of about 15-17 degrees, and a fairly low CPU fan speed of 3500rpm or so. A short spike of CPU, loading cnn.com in my browser or something, which might spike it to 45% or so for a couple of seconds, won't impact those values. If my temperature stays above 20 degrees or so, or my CPU fan increases in order to fight to keep the temperature low, I'd be curious to know what is running that hard for that long.
You are very correct about that spike... and now that I think of It, I will use both Core usage and Core temperature to decide of the appropriate color.
Thanks for the unexpectedly insightful answer :bow:
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

jsmorley wrote: October 21st, 2018, 2:06 pm
This is one of my more useful skins:
1.png
Oh... by the way, is there an inline option syntax to set different string aligns in the same string?
For example

Code: Select all

Text="CPU Chip [MeasureTemp]"
InlineSetting="CPU Chip| stringalign=left
InlineSetting2="[MeasureTemp]| stringalign=right
so you would have CPU Chip on the left and 17°C on the right.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kyriakos876 wrote: October 21st, 2018, 2:19 pm Oh... by the way, is there an inline option syntax to set different string aligns in the same string?
For example

Text="CPU Chip [MeasureTemp]"
InlineSetting="CPU Chip| stringalign=left
InlineSetting2="[MeasureTemp]| stringalign=right
so you would have CPU Chip on the left and 17°C on the right.
No. The only thing you can do is use TAB characters in the string.

[MeterOne]
Meter=String
FontSize=20
FontWeight=400
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
AntiAlias=1
Text=Left Text[\x9][\x9]Right Text
1.png
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/variables/character-variables/

It's tricky to get right, since you might need to use more or less tabs depending on the length of the strings, in order to create "columns" of text with different lines. In any case, "Right Text" is not right-aligned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

jsmorley wrote: October 21st, 2018, 2:27 pm No. The only thing you can do is use TAB characters in the string.

[MeterOne]
Meter=String
FontSize=20
FontWeight=400
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
AntiAlias=1
Text=Left Text[\x9][\x9]Right Text
1.png

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/variables/character-variables/

It's tricky to get right, since you might need to use more or less tabs depending on the length of the strings, in order to create "columns" of text with different lines.
What is the difference between [\x9] and an actual tab in the code?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kyriakos876 wrote: October 21st, 2018, 2:31 pm What is the difference between [\x9] and an actual tab in the code?
Nothing really, other than it is easier to detect that they are there in the code, and how many there are.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

jsmorley wrote: October 21st, 2018, 2:32 pm Nothing really, other than it is easy to detect that they are there in the code, and how many there are.
Oh yea... that makes sense... it's been more than once that I had to count the actual tabs in a string too, so it would help with that as well. :thumbup:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Have you looked at Mordasius's Lua example? It may provide a simple reusable solution.