It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:20 pm

Installing Rainmeter

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
helpfixmycomp

Installing Rainmeter

Post by helpfixmycomp »

I want to make my desktop look cool but when I try to download Rainmeter I go through the usual steps but then when the green bar is filling up it stops at about 2/3 of the way and the size and numbers of folders and files starts going up and up and up. It couldn't be so big, so I just end the task with task manager. Then I uninstall all of Rainmeter's stuff and try it again. When it didn't work again I tried 4.3 instead of 4.2, but the same thing happened. Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Installing Rainmeter

Post by eclectic-tech »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 16th, 2018, 2:39 am I want to make my desktop look cool but when I try to download Rainmeter I go through the usual steps but then when the green bar is filling up it stops at about 2/3 of the way and the size and numbers of folders and files starts going up and up and up. It couldn't be so big, so I just end the task with task manager. Then I uninstall all of Rainmeter's stuff and try it again. When it didn't work again I tried 4.3 instead of 4.2, but the same thing happened. Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?
The entire Rainmeter program is less than 3 MB (2.37 MB for r3258 beta)... if you are seeing larger sizes you have something going wrong.:twisted:

Download Rainmeter from the official site: https://www.rainmeter.net/ :thumbup:
If it is larger the 3 MB stop the download.

Try a different browser: Firefox, Chrome, etc. to see if they download the correct size file. :confused:

If not, then I would suggest you run a virus scan and a malware scan on your PC. :)

If you are still having a problem, tell us what version of Windows you are running, what version of Rainmeter you downloaded, what type of install (Standard or Portable), the folder you told the install to use, and any other details or error messages you may be seeing.

The more information you can provide will help in trying to resolve your issue. :welcome:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Try running the installer as Administrator.
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

How would I run the installer as an administrator? Sorry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 16th, 2018, 3:15 pm How would I run the installer as an administrator? Sorry
Just right-click it and say "Run as Administrator".
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

I've right clicked on a lot of stuff but nothing seems to have an option "Run as administrator". Where exactly was this supposed to show up?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 17th, 2018, 2:32 am I've right clicked on a lot of stuff but nothing seems to have an option "Run as administrator". Where exactly was this supposed to show up?
Open your download folder and find "Rainmeter-4.3-r3260-beta.exe" and right-click on that file.
runadmin.png
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

Running as administrator didn't work, and also didn't work from another browser (I used Firefox instead of Chrome).
I am running Windows 10
I downloaded Rainmeter 4.2 (Standard Installation)
Folder it's going to is called C:\Users\Jordan
And when I have tried to uninstall through the windows settings tab 'Add or remove programs', it shows an error message that says "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Jordan\uninst.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I've tried searching up this problem but I only found one forum with the same question and theirs' was solved simply by uninstalling and reinstalling.

Could you also send a link for a legitimate and trustworthy virus and malware scan please?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 17th, 2018, 3:41 pm Running as administrator didn't work, and also didn't work from another browser (I used Firefox instead of Chrome).
I am running Windows 10
I downloaded Rainmeter 4.2 (Standard Installation)
Folder it's going to is called C:\Users\Jordan
And when I have tried to uninstall through the windows settings tab 'Add or remove programs', it shows an error message that says "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Jordan\uninst.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I've tried searching up this problem but I only found one forum with the same question and theirs' was solved simply by uninstalling and reinstalling.

Could you also send a link for a legitimate and trustworthy virus and malware scan please?
The STANDARD installation does not allow you to select a folder :???:

So I believe you are selecting a PORTABLE installation, which can be tricky if you do not know how Rainmeter works. For a PORTABLE install, I would suggest putting it in a separate folder; "C:\Users\Jordan\PortableRainmeter" since everything related to the program will be in that location.

However, I would suggest trying a STANDARD installation and just select the default settings, click "Next" and "Install", answer "Yes" to let the program change your system... PORTABLE installation can be troublesome and is not really recommended for new users.

Rainmeter will install in "Program Files\Rainmeter", install any needed dependencies, and associate rmskin types with the skin installer.

If that still doesn't work for you, let us know what did or didn't happen.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with this O.O
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

So I downloaded 4.3 Beta, then definitely selected Standard Installation, clicked next, and it said Destination Folder: C:\Users\Jordan which I was not able to change in any way, and I check marked Launch Rainmeter on startup, clicked Install with the orange and blue shield thing next to it, then it asked me if it could make changes to my computer so I clicked Yes, and then the green bar went 2/3 of the way before it stopped and all the numbers went way up, so I ended the task with task manager.