It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:21 pm

[D2D][Fixed] Bar Image "Ghosts" per Mordasius

Backwards compatibility issues related to the conversion of Rainmeter to D2D.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

[D2D][Fixed] Bar Image "Ghosts" per Mordasius

Post by eclectic-tech »

Specs:
Rainmeter 4.3.0.3218 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2018-08-03 6:57:38
Commit Hash: c0bf50d8
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit (build 17713) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Rainmeter3218_64bit\
SkinPath: C:\Users\John\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Rainmeter3218_64bit\
IniFile: C:\Rainmeter3218_64bit\Rainmeter.ini

I discovered the issue raised by Mordasius in another thread is still a problem.

The issue only appears when the bar image BarOrientation option is "Horizontal" and the image being cropped is smaller than the current screen resolution. When the image is as large as the current screen or larger, the ghost is still present, but off the right side of the screen (actually there are several ghost images one-after-the-other to the right of the screen).

Here are a few examples; 1366x768 screen resolution, images are 960x688 (1), 800x571 (2), and 1080x681 (3) respectively.
cropGhost1.png
cropGhost2.png
cropGhost3.png
EDIT: If it helps, I am cropping the images using half their width and height measured from the center of the image; which turns out to be an image 1/4 the original size, showing the center portion of the original cropped as bands. :)
Last edited by eclectic-tech on August 14th, 2018, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theAzack9
Developer

Re: Bar Image "Ghosts" per Mordasius

Post by theAzack9 »

eclectic-tech wrote:...
Hey eclectic-tech, do you happen to have a download to that skin so i can test it? :)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

theAzack9 wrote:Hey eclectic-tech, do you happen to have a download to that skin so i can test it? :)
Download from my DA site: https://www.deviantart.com/eclectic-tech/art/Picturalizer-609577793

Open the "Configure" skin to set the location of your images; the first location is wallpapers, the second is for bar images.

Run the "Random.ini" version and play some music.

To see the issue:
From the context menu, set the style to "Bands", this uses horizontal bar images (works normally in "Bar" mode ~ vertical bar images).
You can change images by toggling the auto-change, click the @ symbol, or refreshing the skin.

Thanks for looking into this! :17nodding
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Can you re-test and let us know if the latest r3224 alpha corrects this issue?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

:17denial
No Love!

With smaller images, it struggles to crop correctly; cropped images are compressed into what appears to be 1 of my "BarWidth" size, and the "ghost" images are now in BOTH vertical and horizontal bar orientations and are now horizontally compressed; they used to only show in horizontal bar at normal resolution.

With full-screen or larger images, the skin locks up and eventually crashes my PC.
The larger images also show a "ghost" images, and are distorted as described above...

This happens with the Random.ini; this use a scaled image size to calculate the size of the cropped images into the desired number of bars/bands.

The Bar-Full.ini uses images that have been resized in a graphic editor and does not scale the image; this skin works, but the scaled version doesn't.

I will try some more troubleshooting to see if I can use a different approach and mimic the actions in this skin in the troublesome Random.ini.

Of course that will take some time since it requires a forced shutdown and reboot when loaded or refreshed... ;p
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Using v 4.3.0.3225 I can load the skin and provide some feedback.
The original images are being properly cropped at the correct offsets and height and width, but then the display of those images is compressed horizontally; in the example it should be 960x540, but the horizontal bars are compressed...

A picture can be worth more so here is what I am currently seeing, compressed display in BAR mode, no "Ghost" images.
cropcompression.png
This is the full-size image and the area that is cropped, the display should be an undistorted version of the boxed area.
fullimageCropArea.jpg
Hope this helps :welcome:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

V 4.3.0.3227 corrected the distorted image (no longer horizontally compression) :17good

However. the "ghost" image still appears when the bar orientation is set to horizontal... :17oops

Note: Using "Random.ini" of Picturalizer...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Revision r3230 reintroduced the horizontal compressed cropped image (still with ghost images) when bar meter orientation is horizontal...
3230 Bar Meter orientation=horizontal shows this
3230CompressBarCrop.png
Same version, image, and code except with Bar Meter orientation=vertical
3230BarCrop.png
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I was mistaken... r3230 is NOT causing distortion as I descibed above. :17denial
Sorry for confusing the issue... :17oops

All my current testing is not producing any problems :17good
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote:I was mistaken... r3230 is NOT causing distortion as I descibed above. :17denial
Sorry for confusing the issue... :17oops

All my current testing is not producing any problems :17good
So to be clear, you have no issues currently with BarImage?