It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:39 am

New UsageMonitor plugin

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.2 beta cycle.
tjhrulz
Developer

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

Post by tjhrulz »

SilverAzide wrote:Hello! I noticed the 4.2 docs have officially declared PerfMon and AdvancedCPU deprecated. One question... PerfMon has an option PerfMonDifference which defaults to 1. I've always used the option PerfMonDifference=0, which seems to be the way UsageMonitor behaves. Is there a migration path for PerfMonDifference=1?
It actually does the same as PerfMonDifference=1 automatically (Otherwise CPU stuff does not work because that is an incremental). The way it does it is that each performance counter defines what type it is and each type has a way to make it "human readable" thus what my plugin return is the value shown in the PerfMon.exe. If you want the raw value you can get that instead by setting RawValue=1.

If there is one that is not performing the way it should be give me the category & counter and I will look into it.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

tjhrulz wrote:If there is one that is not performing the way it should be give me the category & counter and I will look into it.
OK! It looks like I had it backwards, but in any case all seems to be working fine just as you described.

However, I do have one question. In LogicalDisk, there are counters "% Idle Time" and its pseudo-inverse "% Disk Time". For these percentage counters, when I query the "_Total" instance (Index=0), I'm getting values like 600%... Percentages shouldn't be totaled, should they? For example, if I have two drives, one 100% busy (0% idle) and the other 100% idle (0% busy), shouldn't the total % Disk Time and/or % Idle Time values be 50%? This is what PerfMon shows, for what it is worth, but UsageMonitor is giving me 100% (100%+0%)... :???:
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

If AdvancedCPU and PerfMon are now 100% deprecated by this plugin, wouldn't it be prudent to put them in a "deprecated" section of the docs so people won't use them going forward?
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

SilverAzide wrote:OK! It looks like I had it backwards, but in any case all seems to be working fine just as you described.

However, I do have one question. In LogicalDisk, there are counters "% Idle Time" and its pseudo-inverse "% Disk Time". For these percentage counters, when I query the "_Total" instance (Index=0), I'm getting values like 600%... Percentages shouldn't be totaled, should they? For example, if I have two drives, one 100% busy (0% idle) and the other 100% idle (0% busy), shouldn't the total % Disk Time and/or % Idle Time values be 50%? This is what PerfMon shows, for what it is worth, but UsageMonitor is giving me 100% (100%+0%)... :???:
Lol well that is a poor choice by MS to make _Total in some cases be an average, jsmorley and I are debating then just adding a Average option then to handle this.

raiguard wrote:If AdvancedCPU and PerfMon are now 100% deprecated by this plugin, wouldn't it be prudent to put them in a "deprecated" section of the docs so people won't use them going forward?
I have been arguing this with jsmorley for a while that they should be put in a subcategory under plugins so they don't accidently get used. However we have to remember that there are always going to be skins that use the olds way and people will tear them apart and expect to still be able to find the documentation for how they work.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

tjhrulz wrote: I have been arguing this with jsmorley for a while that they should be put in a different category so they don't accidently get used. However we have to remember that there are always going to be skins that use the olds way and people will tear them apart and expect to still be able to find the documentation for how they work.
I will look into making a sub-category of "Deprecated plugins" or some such on the Navigation. The structure doesn't easily support it while keeping it under "Plugins", so I need to chew on it a bit.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

raiguard wrote:If AdvancedCPU and PerfMon are now 100% deprecated by this plugin, wouldn't it be prudent to put them in a "deprecated" section of the docs so people won't use them going forward?
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

tjhrulz wrote:Lol well that is a poor choice by MS to make _Total in some cases be an average, jsmorley and I are debating then just adding a Average option then to handle this.
That would work fine! As it stands now, it would be a simple matter to do the math in the skin, but there's no easy way to get the number of instances (for the divisor). I hope you can get this additional option incorporated!

Edit: jsmorley noted that if you use "Name=_Total" specifically (instead of Index=0, etc.) the measure WILL return the correct value! No need for an Average option, in this case.

Not exactly sure how to document this weirdness, since now there's Index=0 and Name=Total that return totals and Name=_Total that returns an average (sometimes).... eeesh.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

SilverAzide wrote:That would work fine! As it stands now, it would be a simple matter to do the math in the skin, but there's no easy way to get the number of instances (for the divisor). I hope you can get this additional option incorporated!

Edit: jsmorley noted that if you use "Name=_Total" specifically (instead of Index=0, etc.) the measure WILL return the correct value! No need for an Average option, in this case.

Not exactly sure how to document this weirdness, since now there's Index=0 and Name=Total that return totals and Name=_Total that returns an average (sometimes).... eeesh.
That is because Name=_Total gets you the instance called _Total and it is set by the counter (So it being an average for some counters is just stupidity but MS), Index=0 get an internal variable if the plugin that sums up all the instances bring tracked by a measure (So if you add idle to your blacklist then it will be excluded from Index=0 too)
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Hi,

4.2.0 beta r3043 64-bit (Apr 26 2018)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 15063 & another 16299)
Path: D:\Outils\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Sephi\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Sephi\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
French language

I tried the skin "RainmeterProcess_1.0". Nothing is displayed and I keep getting this error message: "UsageMonitor crashed trying to update the counters".
UsageMonitor.jpg
I tried the examples of the documentations and it's about the same. Only some measures are recognized, as you can see in the screenshot.
Usage2.jpg
Skins with "AdvancedCPU" or "Perfmon" work, so it's not a problem with database of counters. I had the same problem with "NomFerp" O.O. Translating in French did not solve the problem :confused:.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.