Top Process Meter - Gadgets Patch 6.0.0

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Top Process Meter - Gadgets Patch 6.0.0

Post by SilverAzide »

Top-Process-Meter.png

Top Process Meter
Top Process Meter Gadgets inspired by the well-known AddGadgets.com Windows Sidebar gadgets.

NOTE:
Top Process Meter is now included as part of the Gadgets suite. Get the latest Gadgets here

This thread is retained for users of older versions.

The Top Process Meter Gadgets monitor the CPU, GPU, RAM, and I/O utilization of the top 10 processes on your computer, with styling to match the Gadgets suite.

These gadgets use the UsageMonitor plugin (added in Rainmeter 4.2.0), and as a result do not have the performance problems and functional limitations associated with plugins in earlier versions of Rainmeter. UsageMonitor also is not affected by locale, and will work with any language.

Features
  • Displays 1 to 10 top processes, ordered by CPU/GPU/RAM/IO utilization.
  • Displays the amount of memory used by each process.
  • Displays graph of total CPU/GPU/RAM/IO utilization (optional).
  • Shows Resource Monitor when gadget is double-clicked.
  • Scales to any desired size.

Requirements
  • Rainmeter 4.4.0.3438 or later.
  • Top GPU Meter requires Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (v1709) or later.

Version History
6.0.0 - 2021-04-06
  • Top Process Meter is now included in the Gadgets suite.
5.2.0 - 2020-01-28:
  • Revised all gadgets to use new default positioning options.
  • Added Top IO Meter (contributed by djamman).
5.1.0 - 2019-07-13:
  • Revised Settings skins button appearance due to changes in Rainmeter 4.3.0.
5.0.0 - 2018-12-21:
  • Corrected issue in Top GPU Meter where usage percentage would exceed 100%.
4.1.1 - 2018-07-08:
  • Added Top GPU Meter and Top RAM Meter. Renamed Top Process Meter to Top CPU Meter.
  • Corrected Settings to prevent long text entries from displaying outside the bounds of textboxes.
4.1.0 - 2018-04-27:
  • Initial release.

Attribution

License
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

Last edited by SilverAzide on November 7th, 2020, 4:22 am, edited 18 times in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Top Process Meter - Gadgets Patch 3.0.1 (Beta)

Post by SilverAzide »

Additional notes on the Beta:

I've been sitting on this skin for many months now, but I'm not terribly happy with the way it is working. It is likely there will be substantial changes to this skin's internals before it's formal release. I'm posting this now on the Rainmeter forum due to apparent interest from the user community in such a skin. Please feel free to post any constructive feedback or feature requests.
Last edited by SilverAzide on November 5th, 2020, 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PhantomRAM

Post by PhantomRAM »

SilverAzide, I'm a big fan of your creations. Been running Gadgets for a long time. :thumbup:

I know you said you are not happy with how Top Process Meter is working. I'll be sure to install updates but this one gadget increases Rainmeter CPU for me from an average of ~4% to a bit over ~14%. I'm not complaining, it's Beta, but rather just rather replying to give you another data point (different user) and maybe at the same time give me a chance to say "Thank You"
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the performance hit you noticed is happening to me too, which is why I mentioned it in the first post. I tried switching from using the AdvancedCPU plugin to using the PerfMon plugin, and performance was even worse. :( I've seen folks using the NomFerp plugin which does perform much better, but it seems as if the author has abandoned it.

One thing you can do if performance is a concern is to cut down on the number of processes being reported. Open the TopProcessVariables.inc file and change the MaxProcesses variable to something less than 10, like 5 perhaps. It won't solve the issue, but it should help.
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Hi,

New to Rainmeter, but not to AddGadgets, which I have been using on Windows for many years. I've now replaced all of the original AddGadgets with your Rainmeter equivalents, which will hopefully be rather more stable on my numerous Windows 10 machines.

My question is specific to the Top Process Meter running on a Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise HP laptop. All I'm seeing is the gadget background, but none of the processes. The graph seems to be working fine and is similar to the one in All CPU Meter. All of your other gadgets are working perfectly on this laptop, including those using HwInfo.

So do you have any suggestions as to why no processes are being displayed ?

PS. Also tried it on one of my Win10 machines, with exactly the same result. BTW, I am in the UK region.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yemble wrote:My question is specific to the Top Process Meter running on a Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise HP laptop. All I'm seeing is the gadget background, but none of the processes. The graph seems to be working fine and is similar to the one in All CPU Meter. All of your other gadgets are working perfectly on this laptop, including those using HwInfo.

So do you have any suggestions as to why no processes are being displayed ?

PS. Also tried it on one of my Win10 machines, with exactly the same result. BTW, I am in the UK region.
Thank you for trying this out and sending in some feedback. Letting me know your location is helpful too. If possible, could you open the Rainmeter About dialog and on the Skins tab, select the Top Process gadget and tell me if the measures "MeasureTopUsage1" and "MeasureTopName1" have any values (and are not disabled or grayed out)? Also, scroll down to the variables section and let me know the value of the "maxprocesses" variable.

If you want to force something to display, edit the skin and edit the "MeasureTopUsage1" and "MeasureTopName1" measures by commenting-out the line CPUExclude=#Idle#, then refresh the skin. This should force the "Idle" process to be shown, so you should at least see something happening.
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

SilverAzide wrote:Thank you for trying this out and sending in some feedback. Letting me know your location is helpful too. If possible, could you open the Rainmeter About dialog and on the Skins tab, select the Top Process gadget and tell me if the measures "MeasureTopUsage1" and "MeasureTopName1" have any values (and are not disabled or grayed out)? Also, scroll down to the variables section and let me know the value of the "maxprocesses" variable.

If you want to force something to display, edit the skin and edit the "MeasureTopUsage1" and "MeasureTopName1" measures by commenting-out the line CPUExclude=#Idle#, then refresh the skin. This should force the "Idle" process to be shown, so you should at least see something happening.
Thanks for the fast response :thumbup:

The only field with a (dynamic) value is MeasureCPU. All other fields are zero, although they have a range.

MeasureTopUsage1 is black, but MeasureTopName1 is grey. The same applies to each of the other usage pairs.

I tried changing maxprocesses to 6, but it made no difference, other than resizing the gadget.

Commenting out CPUExclude=#Idle# has no effect, Idle is NOT displayed.

Not sure whether, or not, this is relevant, but I'm running the Rainmeter 4.2 r3029 x64 beta. I have also tried the 4.1 x64 release, but with exactly the same result. Do you have (write) access to the code for the relevant plug-ins, as I suspect that is where the problem lies ?
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

As a slight aside, I need to thank you for a comment you made in another thread that allowed me to resolve an infuriating issue with Rainmeter yesterday. The issue was that Rainmeter was crashing immediately every time I ran it. Perceived wisdom was that this would be an issue with a skin, however, I quickly proved that that was not the case in this instance.

Your comment about disabling "Auto-Update" was spot-on! It seems that Rainmeter cannot handle Internet proxy servers properly and crashes catastrophically, rather than handling the error gracefully, when the connection is refused.

So, MANY thanks for saving some of my hair (which I was pulling out) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yemble wrote:Thanks for the fast response :thumbup:
The only field with a (dynamic) value is MeasureCPU. All other fields are zero, although they have a range.
MeasureTopUsage1 is black, but MeasureTopName1 is grey. The same applies to each of the other usage pairs.
OK... something strange is going on. Let's strip everything down to the basics and see what's happening. If this doesn't work for you, perhaps one of the Rainmeter devs will need to chime in.

Copy the code below into a new .INI file (skin and place it either in a new folder under Gadgets or at the same level as the Gadgets (C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins). Refresh Rainmeter and open the skin. You should see a little box like this with a single top process in it:
2018-03-14_8-23-38.jpg

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
AccurateText=1
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Variables]

; measures

[MeasureTopUsage]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=AdvancedCPU
CPUExclude=Idle
TopProcess=1

[MeasureTopName]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=AdvancedCPU
CPUExclude=Idle
TopProcess=2

; meters

[MeterTopName]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTopName
MeasureName2=MeasureTopUsage
FontColor=255,255,255
FontSize=12
FontWeight=700
SolidColor=0,0,0
Padding=4,4,4,4
Text="Top Process:#CRLF#%1#CRLF#%2"
X=0
Y=0
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

I get the black box, but the only text on it is "Top Process:", blank line, 0.

Nothing else :(

I'll try the same on a Windows 10 PC when I get home.

Note that I am running the portable version of Rainmeter, if that makes any difference (I prefer all the files to be within a single folder structure). I'm wondering whether, or not, the DLLs require registering manually ? ... although, having said that, all of your other gadgets are functioning perfectly. Also, according to Task Manager, I have approx 138 processes running, which is pretty typical for this laptop.