It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:46 pm

Notes example skin using InputText dynamic variables

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
killall-q

Notes example skin using InputText dynamic variables

Post by killall-q »

In this skin, part of a work-in-progress suite, I have made use of features in the latest 2.5 beta: InputText dynamic variable support and Clipstring=2.

It supports adding, deleting, and reordering of notes and also editing with input box the same size as edited text, a vast improvement over the many Notepad based notes skins. Text containing line breaks is saved and rendered correctly using Lua to convert between \r\n and #CRLF# as necessary, and long text is wrapped, allowing use as a copy-paste bin.

Middle-click to copy to clipboard.
Ctrl+Enter inserts line break.

I hope this will be useful for your own suites. At least 2.5 r1819 is required.

P.S. Strike-through support would be nice *hint hint*
Notes 0.9.2.rmskin
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 2564 times
- Shifted pop-up controls to the side of items.
- Removed edit button, click items to edit.

- Double quotes now allowed.
- Added copy to clipboard.
- Delete item if blank edit.

Single note variant

Supports Ctrl+Enter line breaks. Converts input double quotes to single quotes.
Note - 2016.05.04.rmskin
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
Last edited by killall-q on May 4th, 2016, 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thatsIch

Re: Notes example skin using InputText dynamic variables

Post by thatsIch »

feeds very intuitive and easy to use. Like it :)
Crest

Post by Crest »

Something reminded me to post about this. The note adding function never worked for me, nothing happened after I entered text and pressed Enter (or clicked away).

Has this happened to anyone else running this skin? Running Rainmeter v3.0, an older version but would be newer than the one used to make this skin.

Love the concept though :thumbup:
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

I am on 3.1 beta r2286 and it's never broken on me through all versions of Rainmeter I've run. Check Notes.txt to see if any of the entries have double quotes (") in them jamming things up.
Crest

Post by Crest »

killall-q wrote:Check Notes.txt to see if any of the entries have double quotes (") in them jamming things up.
Nope, never used any double quotes. Text simply isn't added at all, which is odd. Only the default entries exist, and even they can't be edited.

May update Rainmeter sometime, in case perhaps it's an issue there.
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

Oh, you must be on Windows 8. I remember there's an issue that you can't write to files in certain directories anymore for security reasons. I'm looking for the thread that talks about that so I can find a new safe directory to put settings files (I wouldn't prefer %TEMP% as I clear that folder frequently).
Crest

Post by Crest »

Interesting. Yup, using Win 8 currently, although I'm using a portable install in a separate 'Portable Apps' directory on the C:\ drive.
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

Yeah, I don't think Rainmeter has the permissions to write to %PROGRAM_FILES% and C:\ on Win8. A normal install puts the skins folder in My Documents which is OK.
theimmersion

Post by theimmersion »

Hey, this note skin is the best so far in terms of functionality but i have 1 issue.
I usually put notes more towards the top of screen which is a problem because adding notes moves the skin upwards and hits the very top of the screen.
It would be awesome if a setting would exist to choose expandUp or expandDown so when i add notes, it goes downward.

Edit: also would be nice to either have the new notes added at the top or bottom option as well.
Id try do it myself but me and lua... :confused:
Btw, cant you emulate strike-through by addding a meter of 1 pixel on the coords of the note you wish to strike-through?
theimmersion

Post by theimmersion »

Ive modified the skin a bit and wanted to link here for the time being so everything is in one place. Hope its ok. :)
Until the author officially updates it. Killall, tell me if and when you update it so i can remove this post. :)
I modified it as follows:
Now it is being indexed which means you should not delete or add notes manually in the Notes.txt file itself. Use the skin for that. Its the only way i found to add notes newest to be last.
The skin wont move upwards when adding a new note. It will now append new entries.
Also, now the buttons to rearrange and delete notes are shown depending on how many notes there are in the list.
Meaning, if theres only one note, only the delete button will show besides it. First and last notes have only the appropriate up and down rearrange buttons visible while the rest has all the buttons visible. If you wish one but not the other, take a look at my version and killalls version and modify as you wish. Otherwise, ask for help here. :)
Notes_0.9.2_theimmersion_Edit.rmskin
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 430 times