It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:10 pm

Rainmeter crash 4.1 Final Release

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
TrueSalt

Rainmeter crash 4.1 Final Release

Post by TrueSalt »

Rainmeter seems to crash when trying to run my skin. It has never done this until I installed the current 4.1 update. Now upon trying to use my skin, which in all honesty isn't even fully done yet, it crashes. Even just the hover events cause it to crash. I don't know if maybe it is because of an outdated method of doing these things or if it is due to some problem in the latest build. If anyone would be willing to look over the code and see if it maybe just something that I have done wrong, that would be great. Also, everything in the skin still does what it is supposed to, it just crashes after a short span of time... Like within seconds of use.
Attachments
Custom.zip
The skin that keeps on crashing.
(457.53 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Brian
Developer

Re: Rainmeter crash 4.1 Final Release

Post by Brian »

Thanks for reporting. This issue has been fixed for the next beta (or possible release).

This seems to be caused when referencing a non-existent variable as bang sequence in a action. In your case, the FileSystem meter uses a variable as a bang sequence MouseLeaveAction=#BtnLeave#, however, #BtnLeave# is not defined. This caused an endless loop which eventually crashed Rainmeter.

-Brian
TrueSalt

Post by TrueSalt »

Brian wrote:Thanks for reporting. This issue has been fixed for the next beta (or possible release).

This seems to be caused when referencing a non-existent variable as bang sequence in a action. In your case, the FileSystem meter uses a variable as a bang sequence MouseLeaveAction=#BtnLeave#, however, #BtnLeave# is not defined. This caused an endless loop which eventually crashed Rainmeter.

-Brian
So is this something that can be fixed without breaking the system that I am using? The way this works is it closes the FileSystem section that is opened upon clicking on the folder when the user clicks off of it. It has been a while since I have done that, so I can't quite remember how I got that to work or where I found the info for it. You are right that removing it fixes the crash, but it also breaks that key mechanic. If there is a more stable way to do that, I would very much like to know. Thanks for the fast reply!
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

TrueSalt wrote:but it also breaks that key mechanic.
I am not following. The variable #BtnLeave# is not defined anywhere, so how can removing that line "break" anything with your skin?

You can certainly leave that code in there and just define the variable #BtnLeave#, and it should work just fine.

Code: Select all

[Variables]
BtnLeave=!Log "You left me!"
Obviously you want to use your own bang.

-Brian
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Brian wrote:I am not following. The variable #BtnLeave# is not defined anywhere, so how can removing that line "break" anything with your skin?

You can certainly leave that code in there and just define the variable #BtnLeave#, and it should work just fine.

[Variables]
BtnLeave=!Log "You left me!"
Obviously you want to use your own bang.

-Brian
Or you can define it as a null action initially, I assume you are going to be setting it to something else dynamically elsewhere in the skin, or why have it at all?

[Variables]
BtnLeave=[]
TrueSalt

Post by TrueSalt »

jsmorley wrote:Or you can define it as a null action initially, I assume you are going to be setting it to something else dynamically elsewhere in the skin, or why have it at all?

[Variables]
BtnLeave=[]
That worked flawlessly. I can't remember if this is how it worked exactly, but I was using the empty variable of BtnLeave to test for if the user click off of a specific area on the skin. If they did, then it would close that little popup menu, if not then it would stay open and continue to function as normal. The skin is being made to replicate that of an extension to the windows task bar. Everything from style to functionality. Though I have thrown my own touches in.
dheatherly

Post by dheatherly »

Rainmeter has simply stopped working. It locked up my computer and after the reboot it crashes immediately on boot simply telling me it has stopped working. I uninstalled it and redid a base install with just the final version. Runs for about 5 minutes and then crashes. Then back to the crash on boot again. Running Wind 10 with all the latest patches installed.

Any thoughts?
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

It is a bug we fixed in 4.2, download that instead.
webbo

Post by webbo »

Hi there, I'm from Italy
I'm following this reply to ask you help about the crash in my windows 7 pro
the crash occurs as soon as you start rainmeter, if I close the error window and restart it, the crash repeats it
I also tried to install 4.2 beta but I get the same negative result

do you have any idea ?

i'm attaching the DMP file
https://mega.nz/#!97BXiCiQ

sorry for my bad english
thank you
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Ciao webbo, benvenuto. :D

Prova a caricare solo una skin alla volta e riavviare Rainmeter, probabilmente c'è qualcosa che non va in una skin con la nuova versione.
A volte succede.

P.S. per scaricare il file DMP, è richiesta una chiave... come dice dvo.

Hi webbo, welcome.

Try to use only one skin at a time and restart Rainmeter, there's probably something wrong with a skin with the new version.
Sometimes happens.

P.S. to download your DMP file, a key is required... as dvo said.