It is currently April 28th, 2024, 4:23 am

[SOLVED] Something terrible happened

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
winterwulf

[SOLVED] Something terrible happened

Post by winterwulf »

I was editing my skin, notepad++ (NEVER GONNA USE IT AGAIN) crashed and it erased all the hundreds of lines from my skin file...

The last backu I have from it is just a scratch..

The skin is still running with rainmeter open...is there somehow to recover it? please help me =(((
Last edited by winterwulf on September 7th, 2016, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Something terrible happened

Post by jsmorley »

No, I'm sorry, but nothing in Rainmeter can help with that. Rainmeter doesn't store the entire skin file in memory in order to use it. If you have the skin on the screen, then you obviously saved it and refreshed Rainmeter, and Notepad++ isn't going to delete the file contents that you already saved. I'm not sure I follow what happened, since it doesn't make sense to me. If the skin is running using the code you wrote, the ONLY way that can happen is if you saved it. Are you suggesting that Notepad++ crashed in the middle of a save, and deleted the file contents?
winterwulf

Post by winterwulf »

Are you suggesting that Notepad++ crashed in the middle of a save, and deleted the file contents?
Thats exactly what happened. It erased all the lines I had writen in that file... it was all blank
Man it is a sad day... not even dropbox had the last saved version, I was working on it for more than a week..

Lesson learned tho.

thanks for the fast reply
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

winterwulf wrote:Thats exactly what happened. It erased all the lines I had writen in that file... it was all blank
Man it is a sad day... not even dropbox had the last saved version, I was working on it for more than a week..

Lesson learned tho.

thanks for the fast reply
I know how you feel. I used to loose not only lines of codes but entire projects I worked for months. I had different causes every time but it never happened with Notepad++. Using this software since I got my first PC.
Good luck!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Active Colors wrote:I know how you feel. I used to loose not only lines of codes but entire projects I worked for months. I had different causes every time but it never happened with Notepad++. Using this software since I got my first PC.
Good luck!
Yeah, I'm not even sure I can remember Notepad++ ever crashing in all the years I have used it. What a bad deal, crashing during a save and truncating the file contents. These computers are not here to stay...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

@winterwulf

That used to happen to me also... I know your pain! :-(

There is nothing you can do to retrieve your current lose, but since that incident, I activated the Backup option in Notepad++ and have never lost another projects. 8-)

Do this to save you from this misery again...
Here is a screenshot of my preference settings:
backup.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
winterwulf

Post by winterwulf »

Thanks guys! I ended rewriting it that night while I had the idea (sort of) in mind yet... finished at almost 3AM...to wake up today at 5 was harsh lol

eclectic-tech, Thanks for the hint, gonna do it right now!