It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:50 am

Please recommend the single best rainmeter skin for newbie

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Roger

Re: Please recommend the single best rainmeter skin for newb

Post by Roger »

Balala,

Yes, I would prefer that these arrow buttons worked, but would have no idea how to make them work. Alternatively, is there another skin that looks like this where the buttons DO work?

Thanks again.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Roger wrote:Alternatively, is there another skin that looks like this where the buttons DO work?
I haven't seen such skin until now. I've started to work with, but until now had no succes. I'll keep working and will come back if I'll have.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

And finaly it's here. I uploaded the entire skin, but just the Calendar parts are different. Now the Day Month.ini and the Month.ini has (I hope) fully functional buttons to decrease / increase the month, for both Monday and Sunday:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieehq5o8ifchqou/Clock%2C%20Calendar%2C%20Weather_1.zip_1.1.rmskin?dl=0
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks, Balala, it looks like everything works !! Thanks so much. I will continue testing for a few days to see if I find any other problems.

Final comment to jsmorley, who said:
"That is not an unreasonable thought, but it assumes that we in any way see Rainmeter as a replacement for Windows Sidebar / Gadgets. We just don't. "

My response: I'm not sure who the "we" is in your comment. When I googled for replacements for Windows 7 gadgets, rainmeter was the most common option. So it seemed clear to me that a large number of users DO consider rainmeter to be the best replacement for Windows 7 gadgets. Even if the W7 gadgets are/were primitive, they were/are useful and simple, and I would hope that rainmeter developers would be interested in responding to the interests of users. In any event, Balala's skins do in fact seem to be a good replacement, so I will continue working with them, while at the same time being aware of other possible rainmeter skin options.

Thanks again.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I guess my point is that from the standpoint of the Rainmeter project team, we see Rainmeter as a "toolkit" for making creative and useful things you can put on your desktop, only limited by YOUR creativity.

In a sense we provide the paint and the canvas. What you do with it is entirely up to you. We work really, really hard to provide the documentation and guides and community support on the main site and here in the forums, to be as much help as we can to users who are creating or modifying skins.

So while we want to provide the best paint and canvas and the most support we possibly can, the actual skins created with Rainmeter are owned by the skin authors, are entirely their creations, and the only skins that Rainmeter provides or directly supports are the simple "illustro" skins that come with Rainmeter, more or less as "starter / learner" skins to get you rolling.

While it is true that Rainmeter can be used to replicate the gadgets that are part of the now-defunct Windows Sidebar application, that is not the "role" of Rainmeter. Those skins are no better or worse than any other skin created with Rainmeter, and if we were interested in just being a "gadget" application targeted at users who just want to "use" them, and not interested in being creative with the tools, we certainly wouldn't pick those gadgets to just "copy", "port" to Rainmeter, and distribute. We wouldn't steal Microsoft's intellectual property, and we are absolutely not interested in that role in any case.

Anyway, I'm glad this all worked out for you. You ended up with the skins you wanted, and that is entirely due to the active and friendly community around Rainmeter. While we don't "provide", "recommend" or "support" skins created with Rainmeter, we are delighted to see the innovative, creative stuff folks make with the tool. While just replicating Windows Sidebar isn't my favorite example of "creativity", to each his own.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Roger wrote:Thanks, Balala, it looks like everything works !! Thanks so much. I will continue testing for a few days to see if I find any other problems.
I'm glad and if you find any problem (which isn't imposible at all, because I hadn't enough time to test the skin deeply), just let me know and I'll try to fix it.