It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:49 am

Linux?

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
Disclaimer

Linux?

Post by Disclaimer »

Okay so Im really wanting to go onto Linux but I have a few questions. So How would I exactly Install whatever version of Linux? and I was wondering If I can use user made programs on Linux as well? Not known programs Im saying Esencially. Thanks for all the help I get
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Linux?

Post by jsmorley »

This is really just so the wrong forum site entirely for this question. This has nothing to do with Rainmeter or Windows customization of any kind, the userbase here is generally going to be Windows users, and while I have no doubt there folks around here that use both, you are far and away going to have more luck on on some linux forum somewhere.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Disclaimer wrote:Okay so Im really wanting to go onto Linux but I have a few questions. So How would I exactly Install whatever version of Linux? and I was wondering If I can use user made programs on Linux as well? Not known programs Im saying Esencially. Thanks for all the help I get
The first question is, why do you want to move to Linux?

I just came from a 30 day Linux Debian Wheezy kick and came back to windows.
Linux has it's pros and cons. There are so many different DISTROS to choose from which can really confuse anyone that is not up date or has even read anything about Linux in the past.

For me, I break it down like this.
Do I want a secure stable OS? Then find a stable DISTRO.
Or, do I want an OS that has all the new goodies/latest software?
There are a lot of factors you have to take into consideration before choosing a distro.
Here is a pretty good not too overwhelming articles that might give you a basic idea.

http://lifehacker.com/5889950/how-to-find-the-perfect-linux-distribution-for-you

I have tried several times to make the transition from windows to linux and I found myself always removing linux and sticking with windows. I will admit, I lasted a lot longer this time around than any other time before, roughly over a month on linux without once using windows. My suggestion/s is look at videos, watch reviews, read articles. You might also want to find a linux distro wizard and a Linux Distro Selector. Google them and take the questionnaire test. Once you have decided what you think you might like, you have a few options where you can download a distro with a live version which means you don't have to install it to actually try it out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

Once you decide what you want, I suggest you actually watch or read with pictures, just how that certain distro is installed.

I could be here all day telling you so much to the point that I would only confuse the living daylights out of you.

I personally came back to windows because working on videos/editing is just much faster and the commercial software has been perfected/more refined than the open source programs available on linux. While Linux has taken huge growth in leaps in bounds, it is still behind in certain areas. While somethings make perfect sense in their OS.s, others just make you angry by no fault of their own sometimes like not having java in Debian Wheezy, or having to install a firefox browser from a tarball for example. I guess this was my fault for picking Debian when I am in fact more of a tinkering person which defeated my purpose of using debian in the first place. I may try Linux again some day, I always go back a year or two later to see where they are at. I had my fun but doing certain things on Linux is just a tad bit a pain in the ass and you will be lucky if you find the right info on fixing or finding something and IMO their wiki pages are about as comprehensible as... :thumbdown:
N4RPS

Post by N4RPS »

Hello!

Won't say much more than Debian isn't my idea of a good Linux for beginners, and that Linux Lite seems to be quite popular with people leaving Windows XP...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah.... Discussions about linux distros can only lead to the sudden but inevitable decent into Godwin's Law, and I'm while I'm pretty sure Hitler used Ubuntu, which really sorta explains everything, doesn't it, it's just not about Rainmeter or anything even remotely about Rainmeter.

As fun as it might be to watch the feeding frenzy while someone ladles "troll chum" off the back of the boat, this topic is locked.