It is currently July 2nd, 2024, 8:01 am

Running VBS script from button

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Running VBS script from button

Post by balala »

LuciferVisuals wrote: April 14th, 2023, 9:23 pm Just looking at that as it happens, I't's all working, but until I put some actions into it it just looks good, I'm leaving the Batch files out atm.
Don't entirely follow, but it's up to you.
LuciferVisuals wrote: April 14th, 2023, 9:23 pm Hoping the quotes work this time.
Not to nitpick, but when you click the Reply with quote button, if you leave unchanged the <quote=...> section in the reply field, you get the name and information related to the user you're replying to, in your reply. If you remove the information on the <quote=...> line, leaving it just as <quote>, you get only the quote sign, without the related, not mandatory, but useful information.
So, when I'm writing this reply, I leave the field as:

Code: Select all

[quote=LuciferVisuals post_id=214022 time=1681507426 user_id=69376]
Hoping the quotes work this time.
[/quote]
What you probably did, is this:

Code: Select all

[quote]
[/quote]
And here is the difference:
Quote.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

User avatarbalala
Rainmeter Sage
Post by balala » 45 minutes ago

Not to nitpick, but when you click the Reply with quote button, if you leave unchanged the <quote=...> section in the reply field, you get the name and information related to the user you're replying to, in your reply. If you remove the information on the <quote=...> line, leaving it just as <quote>, you get only the quote sign, without the related, not mandatory, but useful information.
So, when I'm writing this reply, I leave the field as:

This is just an attempt to get this right. I did mention I learn by trial and error, so this is only the third time in my life I have tried this, This time I copied your entire post and even image avatar into between the quotes then just removed some stuff from the middle. If this doesn't work I must be doing something wrong.

I tried Preview, but that isn't showing me what I would consider a preview, well doesn't really look any different, so will have to send it and see what happens.

Keith

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Quote.png

Fourth attempt did something different, ignore this. Sorry to use you as a guinea pig
k
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:26 am
Quote.png
Hopefully....... Fifth :Whistle

Kerith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: April 13th, 2023, 2:11 pm
And don't be amazed, nor impressed it works. You did an excelent work, especially for a beginner in Rainmeter coding, if the posted code is yours.

Right.
Think I finally got it, will see in a min.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind comments. Basically I think what I did counts as entirely original. I started the tutorial, got to MY Skin "Hello World" Thought Cool. But gave up on the tutorial, (I really don't learn well that way) so started looking at other skins, found a function that I thought was useful, such as for example "LeftMouseUpAction=Something" Played with it in "My Skin" then did this again and again with Hundreds of bits of code: Then found the stargate skins, thought... WOW I'll build one of those. Being a Stargate fan I thought the Ancients would have surely also invented remote controls for their toys, not just huge chunks of stone.... So I decided to build what they obviously had but the Makers of Stargate have not found yet.... So I did the job for them LOL.

So changed the name of "MY SKIN" to stargate, (Then after system restore was forced to use a dif name so it became "Stargates). And as you can see got a bit carried away with the remote control part. Which is now an onscreen tablet (Looks and works like the one in the film Night at the Museum) It can control the whole PC and all it's functions, And more. There are about 12 interactive skins.

I wrote every single line of code in all of them (But using that's cool I'll try that in mine..... Approach). Then more or less changing every single part of it, to get it doing what I wanted with my resources. Also all the images are original, which you also haven't seen yet, including the spinning buttons).

For my this has been like taking my dog for a walk, It was never about the destination, it was always about the journey.

The only exception to the above is the one skin (which you have not see yet) That I got from deviant art, Was called called LockScreen but the original didnt work, It locked you out but would not let you back in, there are references to it in the forums, I have answered a couple telling them what was wrong with the original code. I spent longer fixing that than writing it from scratch, but I wanted to work out how it did what it did (or was supposed to do), which is harder when something isn't working in the first place. By the time I had fixed it, and given it a "MasterPassword", I decided to build that ini into my remote as a child lock, even last night I was revising that code so the last change was the ability to change the user password from the GUI. BUT EVEN AFTER ALL THAT I SAID THE ORIGINAL author deserves the real credit for it. But by then there seemed little point in rewriting it from scratch, by then it would have come out more or less identical to what I had ended up with.

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: April 13th, 2023, 2:11 pm if the posted code is yours. Don't worry we all started with altering existing codes,
This is the only bit that did not start with a blank page (Obviously, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, afterall I just did it with this one)

In My Project

ChildLock.ini Goes in :- Rainmeter\Skins\Stargates\ChildLock

And the lock image needs to go in (unless you revise code) in @Resources\Images\Icons\Lock-Icon.png

Obviously it will take you 10 seconds to sort this into what you need to try it.

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

LuciferVisuals wrote: April 15th, 2023, 7:30 am This is just an attempt to get this right. I did mention I learn by trial and error,
This is why I attempted to explain you some things which might not be obvious from the beginning.
LuciferVisuals wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:35 am Thanks for the encouragement and kind comments.
You're welcome, because you fully deserved it.
LuciferVisuals wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:35 am I started the tutorial, got to MY Skin "Hello World" Thought Cool. But gave up on the tutorial, (I really don't learn well that way) so started looking at other skins, found a function that I thought was useful, such as for example "LeftMouseUpAction=Something" Played with it in "My Skin" then did this again and again with Hundreds of bits of code: Then found the stargate skins, thought... WOW I'll build one of those. Being a Stargate fan I thought the Ancients would have surely also invented remote controls for their toys, not just huge chunks of stone.... So I decided to build what they obviously had but the Makers of Stargate have not found yet.... So I did the job for them LOL.

So changed the name of "MY SKIN" to stargate, (Then after system restore was forced to use a dif name so it became "Stargates). And as you can see got a bit carried away with the remote control part. Which is now an onscreen tablet (Looks and works like the one in the film Night at the Museum) It can control the whole PC and all it's functions, And more. There are about 12 interactive skins.

I wrote every single line of code in all of them (But using that's cool I'll try that in mine..... Approach). Then more or less changing every single part of it, to get it doing what I wanted with my resources. Also all the images are original, which you also haven't seen yet, including the spinning buttons).
We all do / did more or less this, don't worry, this is an entirely normal behavior. Back on my first attempt to create a skin, I also started by getting an existing skin and altering it in a way to get it to do what I wanted. So, there is no problem with this.
LuciferVisuals wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:35 am The only exception to the above is the one skin (which you have not see yet) That I got from deviant art, Was called called LockScreen but the original didnt work, It locked you out but would not let you back in, there are references to it in the forums, I have answered a couple telling them what was wrong with the original code. I spent longer fixing that than writing it from scratch, but I wanted to work out how it did what it did (or was supposed to do), which is harder when something isn't working in the first place. By the time I had fixed it, and given it a "MasterPassword", I decided to build that ini into my remote as a child lock, even last night I was revising that code so the last change was the ability to change the user password from the GUI. BUT EVEN AFTER ALL THAT I SAID THE ORIGINAL author deserves the real credit for it. But by then there seemed little point in rewriting it from scratch, by then it would have come out more or less identical to what I had ended up with.
I saw and tried it out. But didn't like it at all.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

LuciferVisuals wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:54 am In My Project

ChildLock.ini Goes in :- Rainmeter\Skins\Stargates\ChildLock

And the lock image needs to go in (unless you revise code) in @Resources\Images\Icons\Lock-Icon.png
There is an error message related to your skin, which should be fixed: Invalid cursor - This message is related to the MouseActionCursorName=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Windows\Cursors\aero_arrow.cur option of the [MeterBlurredBackground] meter. Don't really know why did you used so many ..\ strings. I know what this mean, but my question is why so many?
Otherwise the skin works, there are no other errors, so it's alright. Do you check the log when realize a skin?
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:27 pm There is an error message related to your skin, which should be fixed: Invalid cursor - This message is related to the MouseActionCursorName=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Windows\Cursors\aero_arrow.cur option of the [MeterBlurredBackground] meter. Don't really know why did you used so many ..\ strings. I know what this mean, but my question is why so many?
Otherwise the skin works, there are no other errors, so it's alright. Do you check the log when realize a skin?
Hi Thanks, Did you notice that "this was the one skin I did not write from scratch". The original did not work at all, I just fixed it, ONCE IT WORKED PERFECTLY (at least on my PC). Then I just added a master password, and the ability to change the user password. The line of code you mentioned above I didn't touch. It appeared to be working ok so I left it alone, TBH I have no idea what those are, I took a fair bit of time understanding the parts that were broken, then more time fixing them and even more time adding much needed improvements. SO once all that "appeared" to be done, I decided to leave well alone with the parts which appeared to be working ok.

That's pretty tricky code for a beginner to fix and modify, TBH I thought "Thank #@*$" thats done, and went back to my own all original files, that I do understand top to bottom. I mainly sent it to show you that I was clearly crediting the original author, (Even though his code didn't work).

Where did you see the error message please, I haven't seen one?

Log? Ermm, Log??? (didn't know there was one). Sorry I have not got round to reading the instructions, so there will be "a great many things" I am blissfully unaware of, obviously when I get a problem, I totally focus on it until I beat it. (Trial and Error). So the question of a log has not come up, but sounds useful. Where is it? or will that be obvious now I know to look for it?

I have taken in so much totally new learning so quickly, I am literally dreaming in code, waking up to scribble something down, but it is such a small drop in such a vast ocean, I think I'm at saturation point for a bit. I wasted three hours today trying to work out how to do something, only to "EVENTUALLY" realise that I had already solved that problem on one of my other skins, I spent the entire time "Overthinking it,and then trying increasingly complex solutions, none of which worked, when I saw how I did it on my earlier skin. I kicked myself.

I will look for the log, and try and find that error message, and whats causing it.

Thank you again for you patience, and for understanding, that I could very easily be blissfully ignorant of certain things due to my slightly unusual approach to learning new things, (while not perfect it works fairly well for me - on the whole). Being in my seventies it's probably too late for me to now try and learn things in a more structured way, like most people appear to, though I can often see the advantage... especially with hindsight once I have figured something out the hard way).

Thanks again... Please continue to point out anything I'm not quite getting right.

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

balala wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:11 pm

I saw and tried it out. But didn't like it at all.
Mine or the Original, or Both?

Keith