It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:42 pm

Lua Tutorial skin / script for new Lua & Rainmeter users

Discuss the use of Lua in Script measures.
jsmorley
Developer

Lua Tutorial skin / script for new Lua & Rainmeter users

Post by jsmorley »

The is a second, updated version of what I hope is a useful "beginners" tutorial skin / script for showing some of the more common things you can do with Lua scripting in combination with Rainmeter. Both the skin .ini and the Lua .lua files are heavily commented, and I tried to explain step-by step what is being done and some hints and tips.

Rainmeter 2.3.3 r1522 or better is required...

Just install this skin, then load the .ini and .lua in your text editor to dig through them. Hopefully this will encourage those who might be hesitant to get started with Lua. It's really a very simple language, and the interaction with Rainmeter, while taking a few minutes to wrap your head around is really just a few things you need to understand and keep in mind.

This is not intended to teach you Lua. There is a pretty good guide Here, and the full blown Lua 5.1 manual Here.

It is also not by any means EVERYTHING you can do with Lua and Rainmeter. The documentation for that is Here, and I recommend keeping both of these resources open while working in Lua at first.

I was not trying to come up with a pretty or particularly useful skin for this tutorial, just wanted to make something that would exercise the capabilities a bit and give you something you can use as a reference later when you are making your own masterpieces.
LuaTutorial_1.1.rmskin
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 3077 times
8-2-2011 11-36-08 AM.jpg
UberSlackr

Re: Lua Tutorial skin / script for new Lua & Rainmeter users

Post by UberSlackr »

Just wanted to say Thanks for this Tutorial Skin...
Working with the skin while reading along with the manual (you linked to) it has helped a lot.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I have updated the tutorial skin in the first post to make use of some of the changes and improvements to Lua.
UberSlackr

Post by UberSlackr »

jsmorley wrote:I have updated the tutorial skin in the first post to make use of some of the changes and improvements to Lua.
Meta Data says Version 2..
First post says Version 1.1
:D

Thanks again...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

UberSlackr wrote: Meta Data says Version 2..
First post says Version 1.1
:D

Thanks again...
Metadata should be a date 2 SEP 2012, not a version "number" as such.
UberSlackr

Post by UberSlackr »

jsmorley wrote: Metadata should be a date 2 SEP 2012, not a version "number" as such.
Oh, okay, gotcha.. Just never known someone to use a Date as a Version # so it got me wondering If I downloaded the right file (update)