It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:19 am

I'm brushing up on my LUA 5.1 to make my first skin.

Discuss the use of Lua in Script measures.
MobiSlain

I'm brushing up on my LUA 5.1 to make my first skin.

Post by MobiSlain »

I was in Summer School for English in my Sophomore year of Highschool. I got all my work done but while I was waiting for class to end I started looking at different scripting languages and I learned LUA in my free time. By the end of my classes, I made a basic calculator that handles practical math including order of operations. Now I'm a second-year community college student and it's been about 4 years since I've even touched LUA. I don't remember much but I'm reading up on it again and I'm gonna read the guide on Rainmeter scripting after.
There's just one thing on my mind that I don't know if I'll be able to.

I'm a daily visitor on a chat Radio website called JetSetRadio.Live, we've been growing rapidly, with our own Youtube, Project Beat, and android app. I want to make a Rainmeter skin that pulls up the chat, plays the music, and even shows videos from our extension JetSetRadioLiveTV. How would I do these functions?

I can't quite explain how the chat works but it's one universal chat room I can say that much. The music is a series of playlists (4 in total currently) that have more than 300 songs in between them all. The website randomly pulls from this playlist and plays them depending on what radio station you're on. And the JetSetRadioLiveTV works pretty much the same as well. That's all the information I can think would help off the top of my head. Would this work with Rainmeter?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: I'm brushing up on my LUA 5.1 to make my first skin.

Post by jsmorley »

Likely not. The only interface to the web that Rainmeter has is WebParser, and it can only receive plain text as HTML or XML from a connected site and parse it. It has no capability to do any "browser" functions like rendering or executing client-side javascript or any such. It has no ability to "send" anything to a web site other than an initial http or ftp connection request. Your idea is likely dead in the water from the outset, as WebParser can't respond to requests for cookies or any other authentication interactions, so you likely can't even connect to the information you are interested in.

WebParser simply anonymously connects to a site, and whatever is returned is just treated as plain text and parsed with regular expression. That is all it does. No more, no less.

Lua isn't going to add anything to this, as there are no native libraries in Lua that can connect to a web site, nor any integration with Lua and Rainmeter for any graphical output capabilities.

It's important to know that the integration of Rainmeter and Lua cannot support any external compiled libraries in Lua or C. So you can't use LuaCurl or any other communications or graphics libraries in this context.

Rainmeter really isn't an application development tool...
MobiSlain

Re: I'm brushing up on my LUA 5.1 to make my first skin.

Post by MobiSlain »

That's a shame.
Thanks for the help anyway. I appreciate it.