It is currently April 26th, 2024, 11:04 pm

Lua and WMP

Discuss the use of Lua in Script measures.
Fuzzybat23

Lua and WMP

Post by Fuzzybat23 »

There's sometthings that thew nowplaying.dll can't do, such as actually opening a file to play. I was thinking that maybe I could write a lua script to control media player and use a skin to interface with the script. Anyone know if it's possible to control windows media player from a lua script? And please, don't offer alternatives like winamp or itunes, I'm asking about Windows Media Player only. Thanks!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Lua and WMP

Post by eclectic-tech »

Fuzzybat23 wrote:There's sometthings that thew nowplaying.dll can't do, such as actually opening a file to play. I was thinking that maybe I could write a lua script to control media player and use a skin to interface with the script. Anyone know if it's possible to control windows media player from a lua script? And please, don't offer alternatives like winamp or itunes, I'm asking about Windows Media Player only. Thanks!
Opening a file to play is the job of the actual program not the NowPlaying plugin. The NowPlaying plugin acts as a remote control for multiple players.

If the file type is associated with WMP (this is set in Windows), then when you select it, or execute it in a bang LeftMouseUpAction=["C:\mysong.mp3"], the associated player (WMP) will open and the song will start.

NowPlaying can now display and control the playback.

I don't see the need for a Lua script, unless you are trying to do something other than playback.
Fuzzybat23

Post by Fuzzybat23 »

the reason I ask is there's another media player remote I have, for yahoo widgets. that one is coded with java and it has a button which lets you search your hardline and open a music file. of course the file is really being opened by media player, but unlike nowplaying.dll, mediaplayer doesn't open to.the desktop, it stays minimized in the background. I guess that's what I'm really aiming for. open the music file with media player while keeping mediaplayer minimized. apologies for misspelling, was answering from my android ;D
~Faradey~

Post by ~Faradey~ »

I'm pretty sure that in Rainmeter's lua you can't use COM objects, so what you asking is not possible, at least for now.
moshi

Post by moshi »

i would use the WindowMessage plugin for that.
http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/windowmessage
Fuzzybat23

Post by Fuzzybat23 »

Well now that sounds promising.. Any idea where to get a list of the wParam and lParam commands to pass to it?
moshi

Post by moshi »

- use the forum search for WindowMessage
- use Google for WindowMessage WMP Rainmeter
- use Google for WindowMeassage WMP
- check the code of your Yahoo! Widget

can't help you (and am not really interested), as WMP is the first thing i get rid of when i install Windows.