It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:09 pm

New to ALL of this

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
Blastonite

New to ALL of this

Post by Blastonite »

I'm very new to customizing anything like this. I have 0 script writing knowledge or anything of the matter. Is there anything I need to understand fully or more of besides writing scripts. Amy programs I should know How to use? Or any other general information that would help me along the way? I could explain what I exactly want to do but I think it's a bit difficult to explain everything I am wanting to accomplish here hah. So yea anyway! Glad to be here and start learning and working on how to get this all going this weekend :D
Sometimes my ideas outstretch past what's possible. But I'll find a way one way or the other.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: New to ALL of this

Post by eclectic-tech »

Blastonite wrote:I'm very new to customizing anything like this. I have 0 script writing knowledge or anything of the matter. Is there anything I need to understand fully or more of besides writing scripts. Amy programs I should know How to use? Or any other general information that would help me along the way? I could explain what I exactly want to do but I think it's a bit difficult to explain everything I am wanting to accomplish here hah. So yea anyway! Glad to be here and start learning and working on how to get this all going this weekend :D
Hi Blastonite :welcome:

Most Rainmeter skins are simple Keyword=Value (.ini file) format, and can be edited in any text editor.

Do not use Notepad.exe included in Windows; it is a very limited text editor and there are better ones that will make creating and editing skin files easier. You can find a list of very useful links to them in the Important Links section of this forum.
I use Notepad++ with Rainlexer and Snippets plugins, and would recommend those.
SublimeText is another popular editor with a Rainmeter dedicated plugin.
Atom is another that has a plugin for editing Rainmeter skins.

Finally, I highly recommend reading through the Documentation and examples to get familiar with the commands and how skins work.

You might get things started this weekend (and perhaps finished :D ), feel free to ask questions in the Help section if you don't understand something. There are quite a few knowledgeable members who are always willing to help! :great:

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Blastonite

Post by Blastonite »

Hey thanks for the tip about Note++ that thing was really helpful with my first little edit. I changed my disks to be the same as I have them listed on the computer and got them to show up in the proper order on the box too :D Small accomplishment but awesome to me. Thanks for suggesting that program!http://imgur.com/wEXffFB
Sometimes my ideas outstretch past what's possible. But I'll find a way one way or the other.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Always happy to help...

Nice edit! 8-)

The ability to help you personalize your desktop is why Rainmeter can be addictive!!

Rainmeter Addiction Hotline: 724.663.8371 (Rai.nme.ter1) ;-)
(This is NOT an addiction service, please do not call us, we'll call you...)
Blastonite

Post by Blastonite »

Haha nice yea. I just have to learn to give them a background and make custom Icons if possible and then learn to use PS so I can make a nice background for the overlay I want to try and make. Thanks again for the help.