It is currently April 25th, 2024, 1:12 am

who invented rainmeter??

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
priyank

who invented rainmeter??

Post by priyank »

i have just joined the rainmeter community.i want to grab some knowledge about this interesting opensource software.could you please help me in getting acquainted to this amazing software.i hv sm questions pls do reply...
=>who invented the rainmeter?
=>in which language the rainmeter source code has been written?
=>could u provide me some documentation regarding this software as i have to prepare a project report on it?...
thank u..

with regards
Priyank
chato

Re: who invented rainmeter??

Post by chato »

FlyingHyrax

Post by FlyingHyrax »

I would start here.
The source code is all here.
And you may find this thread relevant.
Flying Hyrax on DeviantArt
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter was originally written by Kimmo Pekkola as a module for the Litestep shell replacement utility. I'm not sure of the exact date of the first version, but I think it was in 2000 or 2001.

Kimmo uses the online handle of "Rainy". Initially there were no "measures" in the program, just "meters" that both obtained and displayed the information using one [MeterName]. "Rainy's-Meters" just didn't have the right ring to it, so "Rainmeter".

Rainmeter was later made into a stand-alone application, as well as continuing to be supported as a module for Litestep. Additions and improvements were made until around 2005, with the program staying in a "beta" mode until version 0.14 was reached. However, at some point other developer priorities and a general falloff in popularity for the Litestep program brought activity on Rainmeter to a stop.

After a hiatus of a few years, the project was resurrected in early 2009 by Rainy, at the request of a few dedicated Rainmeter fans.

Lots of improvements were made to the program, the insanely popular Enigma Suite by Kaelri was made the default included skins set, and it was finally released as a 1.0 version in August of 2009.

Eventually all support for Litestep was removed from Rainmeter, and the program and project is now completely independent of any Litestep integration. Rainmeter became less of a "niche" tool that only appealed to the most hard-core system customization nerds, and started to become quite well known by people who just wanted to add some excitement and functionality to their Windows desktop.

Regrettably, but with everyone's eternal gratitude and best wishes, Rainy soon moved on to working exclusively on another project, the very popular Rainlendar. Go buy a copy for everyone you know...

The Rainmeter project was taken over by a loose team of Rainmeter users and developers who have worked since 2009 to improve and add to the program. It is currently very active, with beta releases almost every week and final releases about every three or four months. As of this writing, many millions of copies of Rainmeter have been downloaded and installed.

Thousands and thousands of user created and freely shared skins for Rainmeter can be found on sites like deviantART and Customize.org.

Rainmeter is open source and distributed free of charge under the terms of the GNU GPL v2 license.

The source code for Rainmeter is in C++ and can be found at Rainmeter on GitHub.

3rd-party Plugins for Rainmeter can be developed by anyone, in either C++ or C#. Information on this can be found at Rainmeter Development.

Documentation for using Rainmeter to create and edit your own skins can be found at: Rainmeter Documentation.
priyank

Post by priyank »

thanks for ur replies n support.....