It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:50 pm

Hand me a drop blade, 'cause I've got SKINNING to do!

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
Theo Neandonly

Hand me a drop blade, 'cause I've got SKINNING to do!

Post by Theo Neandonly »

Hello!

My name is Theo, I'm currently undergoing painful labor trying to birth a custom desktop.

It's a blend of visual themes from the movies Hackers and The Matrix; a desktop I think any hardcore, old-school geek would appreciate. You can see a mock-up of my desired end result here:
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/18/48/83/14/mockup10.jpg

(It's slightly blurry because I shrank it to 75% of its actual size.)

I really like Rainmeter, for the most part. I just discovered it less than a month ago. We'll see if it can handle my brainchild...
fonpaolo

Re: Hand me a drop blade, 'cause I've got SKINNING to do!

Post by fonpaolo »

Wow, good luck. :thumbup:

Do you know that Rainmeter can be addictive?
...once you've started, it's very difficult to detoxify. ;-) :lol:
Theo Neandonly

Post by Theo Neandonly »

Thanks, fonPaolo. Your S.H.I.E.L.D. desktop on DeviantArt looks amazing. How long have you been working on that?

I've got a month in on mine so far...

And "good luck" is right. I just read jsMorley's locked post about the notification area requests. That's my problem, too. I'm dead in the water without that capability.

Aston will do it, but isn't flexible enough to let me do exactly what I want with the resource meters. *Sigh.* I'm going to have to make design changes... I just don't see any way to get my disk meters in gracefully if they have to be vertically-aligned and therefore horizontally-oriented... :???:
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Well the development of my skins doesn't require much time, the problems I have found are all limited into make them "for all".
In fact, there are 25 individual skins in my S.H.I.E.L.D. (counting borders and obviously the Options skin where to configure all).
I have rewritten or created from scratch almost everything, I have "stolen" some ideas, here and there from many other skins, but in most cases they are used in different ways for other functions.

I can manage, change or rewrite something that doesn't suit my needs or has/gives me problems.
Mostly I rewrite or change the skins when I have a better idea or I find a suggestion, a tip, a new feature that could be useful.

I love Rainmeter because I can make a skin when I find some time, I have only a few minutes a day, sometimes in a week or more, that's the reason it's still in development, almost at the end, but there's always something that could be better or useful to add.
...and I must say that it's changed a lot from those previews, but I don't want to upset anyone, only teasing with another image and not the final rmskin package.

There are a few images (background and icons) that still need to be completed or updated, a few problems with mediaplayer skin and some optimizations/cleanings to remove all the unnecessary code (most of the times I leave the old code disabled when I'm testing or adding something better).
I leave disabled only something that could be useful for someone but not for me, since the possible configurations and personal needs or tastes are endless.

edit: for that locked post, I'm trying and thinking for a solution, since I'm used to find "strange" uses for "normal" functions.
Maybe one day I'll find a solution!

I'm still stuck with version 2.5, when the 3.0 will become the official version, I think I could use all his power to add more functionalities