Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins

Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.

January 6th, 2011, 4:02 am
Soki
   [4 posts]

First please don't ask for screenshots. I don't understand why someone needs a screen shot of something that only the text matters. Anyhow, my problem is with Facebook RSS/web feed for Rainmeter properly working.

This is what it does RIGHT:
    Displays properly on desktop skin.
    Automatically updates as I receive notifications.
    Displays 5 notifications.
    Click-able links.
    Link goes to Facebook.

This is what it does WRONG:
    When any link is clicked, Facebook displays:
    The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

What I have TRIED:
    Restarting Rainmeter.
    Installing a Chrome extension for RSS feeds.
    Using different skins.
    Using different browsers.
    Copying the RSS feed link multiple times.
    Clicking it while logged in and logged out.

Note/P.S.:
    I use Google Chrome as DEFAULT browser.
    This happens in every Rainmeter skin/theme.
    I am running Windows Vista (not that I think this matters).
    I followed the instructions given with Rainmeter correctly.

Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.

January 7th, 2011, 1:19 am
MarwanBaki
   [25 posts]

If you take the link that is getting you that error and copy paste it in IE. Do you get the same message? Maybe you are not supposed to be accessing these links that way if so? Just thought id throw that in. =p
User avatar

Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.

January 7th, 2011, 1:55 am
smurfier
Moderator   [1932 posts]

While following the instructions here, I have no problem putting the RSS feed through the regular enigma reader.

Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.

January 7th, 2011, 3:57 am
Soki
   [4 posts]

First, thanks for replying.

MarwanBaki wrote:If you take the link that is getting you that error and copy paste it in IE. Do you get the same message? Maybe you are not supposed to be accessing these links that way if so? Just thought id throw that in. =p

Like i said in the notes. I've tried multiple browsers (IE, FF, Google Chrome).

smurfier wrote:While following the instructions here, I have no problem putting the RSS feed through the regular enigma reader.

Aren't these the same instructions that Rainmeter comes with?
I just want the Notifications, nothing else and I've followed the tutorial and nothing.

Update: Now only certain links work...

Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.

January 12th, 2011, 12:06 am
Govan06
   [2 posts]

Gnometer Facebook RSS feed right ?

Just a guess, does your feed link looks like http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php ?amp;story_fbid=xxxxxxxxx&id=xxxxxxxx&aref=xxxxxxxxx ? when you click on a feed link ?

If that is the case, notice the " amp;" (in bold).If you remove them so it looks like

Code: Select all

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=xxxxxxxxxx&id=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in your adress bar, it then works. It's because there is no Substitute applied to the link in the ini file. Right click on the facebook feed skin, go to Edit skin... and then

1) Look for the [Variables] section. At the end of it, add this :

Code: Select all

SUBST="&#60;":"<","&#62;":">","&#38;":"&","&#34;":"","&#39;":"'","&lt;":"<

","&gt;":">","&apos;":"'","&quot;":"","&amp;":"&","&amp;":"&","<![CDATA

[":"","]]>":""
so your [Variables] section shoud look like this :

Code: Select all

[Variables]
skin.Style=Horizontal
GET=(?(?=.*<item>).*<item>.*<title>(.*)</.*<link>(.*)</)
@Include=#ROOTCONFIGPATH#SETTINGS\Variables.inc
width.Skin=#width.Feeds#
SUBST="&#60;":"<","&#62;":">","&#38;":"&","&#34;":"","&#39;":"'","&lt;":"<

","&gt;":">","&apos;":"'","&quot;":"","&amp;":"&","&amp;":"&","<![CDATA

[":"","]]>":""


2) Go to [mItem1] and add :

Code: Select all

Substitute=#SUBST#
at the end of it. Should look like this:

Code: Select all

[mItem1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
Url=[mFacebook]
DecodeCharacterReference=1
StringIndex=1
Substitute=#SUBST#


3) Do the same for [mLink1]

4) Repeat Steps 2) and 3) for every other [mItem] and [mLink] you see.

It should work. Well at least It did for me, as I had the same issue .

Hope that helps

Return to “Help: Rainmeter Skins”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests