FAQ - Read before posting!

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins

Q: I changed my notes, now they won't show up! Why don't it

November 21st, 2010, 3:18 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

Most notes-skins rely on regexps to retrieve info from the actual notes file. For this to work the creator usually have tags in the notes file like <notes> some notes </notes>. Removing these tags will break the regexp and thus break the skin. Make sure you do not remove these tags.

Q: My gmail/gcalendar/RSS-feed/other net based skin wont wor

November 21st, 2010, 3:20 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

First off you should make sure Rainmeter is not being blocked by your firewall. Next check so your AntiVirus is not blocking it somehow. You might also want to check what settings you have in Internet Explorer as the WebParser plugin that Rainmeter uses to connect to the web relies on it.
To do all this, you can use this nifty little tester.

If some feed requires authentication you have to make sure that you can have that authentication in the URL. WebParser do not handle cookies or something like that. You might also want to check so you don't have any special characters in you username or password, webparser/Rainmeter have problems with these.

Q: My twitter skin broke recently, why? Did you change somet

November 21st, 2010, 3:21 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

This has nothing to do with Rainmeter. Read this tread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5277

My RSS or notes don't show all the characters that is parsed

November 29th, 2010, 6:03 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

For the RSS you can use substitute to change all the &amp and whatnots to the character it should be. Or you can use the built in DecodeCharacterReference=1,2 or 3 and Rainmeter will do this for you, easy and very useful.

If you parse data form a page that uses characters not in the English alphabet, you might have to set CodePage=SomeCode in the skin.
For this you will have to do some skindiving. Open up your skin, locate the measure that is parses your data and add the line CodePage=SomeCode
Don't know what code to put in? Take a look here.
This can also work for your notes.

Or you can save your notes.txt (where you put in you notes, not the skin) as UTF-8 instead of ANSI.
To do this in notepad choose "Save as..." and then in the window that pop ups, look at the bottom where it says "Encoding:". Default will probably be ANSI, now choose UTF-8 and save. Refresh you skin and see if that helped.

I just found a nice screenshot with rainmeter in it, and I w

December 6th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6185
We get a lot of these posts, so please only post in that topic. It helps us, it helps you - it helps everyone.

Return to “Help: Rainmeter Skins”