FAQ - Read before posting!

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins

FAQ - Read before posting!

November 21st, 2010, 2:58 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

To cut down on redundancy and make it easier to find help, here are some FAQs.

If your question was not answered here, follow instructions below:

It is important when you are posting a message here in "Rainmeter Help" that you help us to help you. We do want to help you solve your problem and we were all new to Rainmeter at some point, but if you don't provide enough information to give us some idea of what is going on with your issue, we just can't help you.

How to "Help us to help you":

1) If you are having a problem with a particular skin or skin suite, your best bet is to contact the original author of the skin where you got it. That might be on deviantART. It is in no way certain that anyone here is familiar with any particular skin, and the author is usually your best resource.

2) Try searching the forums with http://rainmeter.net/forum/search.php. You will find that many times your question or problem has been asked and answered before.

3) Try checking the Rainmeter Documentation at http://rainmeter.net/cms/Support. There is a lot of good information that may solve your problem or give you some ideas on how to accomplish what you want to do.

4) Be sure the "Subject" of the post gives some hint about the issue. "I NEED HELP", or "HELP PLZZZ" posts are generally ignored.

5) Be sure to be clear, and as specific as possible, about the problem you are having or what you are trying to do but can't quite figure out how. "Rainmeter is broken" as the entire explanation won't get you much help in return.

6) Give us some technical information. Tell us which version of Rainmeter you are running. Tell us which version of Windows you are running. Tell us anything else about your system that you think might play a role in the issue. Tell us about your AntiVirus setup, your monitor(s) setup. Are you running Rainmeter in the default locations or have you changed where the program and / or skins are installed?

7) Provide a link to the skin you are talking about or Post your skin code!
There are a couple of ways you can do this. First, you can use the "code" "/code" BBCodes like this:

Code: Select all

[code]Your Text[/code]

Or you can use a file sharing site like http://www.mediafire.com/, upload a .zip file of your skin and eveything that goes with it there, and post a link to the file here. The link will look like:

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/file/nxlmimy2qir/JSMeter.zip[/url]

7) Post images if they help to show the problem. You can "attach" an image to your post using the Upload Attachment section below the body of your post as you are editing it, or you can host the image at an image sharing site like http://photobucket.com/ and then post a link to the image here. BE SURE to use the "hsimg" "/hsimg" BBCodes if you are displaying a large image.

[hsimg]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s187/jsmorley/LoadSkin/2-8-20104-27-24PM.png[/hsimg]

Last notes:

* Remember that we are all just Rainmeter users who like to help out when we can. There is NO "technical support" for Rainmeter, and you will get much better results by asking for help than by demanding it.

* Don't bother posting a message describing what you would like in a skin and saying "can you just write it for me?". The answer is no. We will help you with specific issues and even with getting started learning how to use Rainmeter, but nobody here is your personal code monkey...

* Be patient. We are all busy and will respond to your post as soon as practical. Don't "bump" threads until a fews days have passed, or you might get a pretty negative reaction. If there is no response after a couple of days, you might review the guidelines above, to be sure it's a post that someone is likely to feel they can help with.

Q: I'm new and don't know where to start. Do you have any su

November 21st, 2010, 3:01 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

A good place to start learning about Rainmeter is Rainmeter101. The sole purpose of this is to make new users more familiar with Rainmeter and make it easier to grasp what it all is.
If you want to learn even more you can always read The Manual and the Tips and Tricks section.

Q: I'm using <insert skin name here> weather skin. I can't f

November 21st, 2010, 3:02 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

Q: I found this really nice weather skin today, but I can't

November 21st, 2010, 3:05 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

If the skin does not use on of the providers from the link in the last questions, there is a big chance that we might not be able to and you are better of finding a new skin, or make your own!

Q: I have a long string with text, but they get cut off. Why

November 21st, 2010, 3:07 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

The container for that skin is to small. If you add DynamicWindowSize=1 to the [Rainmeter] section, save and refresh, this should solve your problem 90% of the time.

Like this

[Rainmeter]
DynamicWindowSize=1

Q: Where can I find some good skins?

November 21st, 2010, 3:08 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

This is all a matter of taste. But you can find plenty to choose from from DeviantArt and Customize.
As of 1.4 we also have some recommended suites here.

Q: Can I replace my windows taskbar with Rainmeter?

November 21st, 2010, 3:12 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

No. Rainmeter is not a shell replacement. Think of it more as a replacement for the windows widgets or vista sidebar.

Q: I installed a skin/suite/theme, but it didn't change my w

November 21st, 2010, 3:15 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

It isn't broken. Rainmeter has nothing to do with the wallpaper. Some authors include the wallpaper with their skins, but you will have to apply them manually like always.

Q: What is the difference between theme, skin, suite and c

November 21st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

Lets start from the bottom and up.
A skin and a config are the same thing. When Rainmeter was created the word 'config' was used in the menu while skins were the actual thing that contained the info of how it should look. Why not change this you might ask, answer to that is that it's always been this way.

A suite is a collection of skins that follow the same style. They are normally packed in one and the same .rmskin package.

A theme is how you set up skins on your desktop. You can then save how it's all placed and what skins are used with the help of RainThemes.

Q: What is .rmskin and how do I package my new suite with it

November 21st, 2010, 3:18 pm
Chewtoy
Moderator   [1028 posts]

The .rmskin was created for it to be easier to share skins with each other. Instead of having to manually copy the skins to your skins folder you can now simply double click and they are installed automatically.
The .rmskin is actually just a .zip file containing some info for RainStaller and a changed extension.
For how to make your own package there is a great guide here: Creating .rmskin packages

Return to “Help: Rainmeter Skins”