It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:12 pm

Using other emails possible?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mizery

Using other emails possible?

Post by Mizery »

Hi,

I'm a new user and i was wondering if you can use another email other then gmail by editing the .ini?
Dave_W

Re: Using other emails possible?

Post by Dave_W »

Hi Mizery.

The Gmail reader works by using Webparser, which is a Rainmeter plugin that can read web pages. One limitation of Webparser is that it can't use passwords, usernames or cookies other than as part of the URL. This is okay with Gmail, because it generates an RSS feed that gives you your mail and subject lines. By pointing Rainmeter at that feed (the URL for which includes your username and password) you're able to see your mail.

So the answer is that yes, it can be done, provided that your email account either (a) has an RSS feed, or (b) has another URL where you can access the account without having to put in your username/password (probably a url which includes user=XXXpass=XXX as part of it, although I don't think many sites use them any more).

Unless your other account is based on Gmail it's probably not going to be as simple as switching the URL, because they will likely format their feed differently. You'll need to use the Webparser plugin (manual page here). There's an excellent primer (here) and RSS reader tutorial (here) on the outstanding Rainmeter CMS - and if you get stuck, provided you're quite specific about your request the forums are really helpful.

Good luck!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Another option is to get a free gmail account, and have that gmail account use pop3 to "get" the mail from your actual account on another system. Then just use a gmail Rainmeter skin to check your unread mails. It's easy to set up in gmail, and works fine.
Dave_W

Post by Dave_W »

Yup, that would work.

Bear in mind if you do that, though, to set Gmail to send your outgoing messages through your original account's SMTP server. Even though Gmail will by default allow you to send email "as" that other account, unless you also set up the outgoing server you end up with your sent headers (which, despite what Gmail says, do show up prominently on all the email clients I've used) saying "sent by X@gmail.com on behalf of y@othermail.com".

Which is not a good look if, like me, your only purpose in having the other address was to avoid having to send proper grown-up email from your amusingly-named Gmail account... :Embarrassed:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Dave_W wrote:Yup, that would work.

Bear in mind if you do that, though, to set Gmail to send your outgoing messages through your original account's SMTP server. Even though Gmail will by default allow you to send email "as" that other account, unless you also set up the outgoing server you end up with your sent headers (which, despite what Gmail says, do show up prominently on all the email clients I've used) saying "sent by X@gmail.com on behalf of y@othermail.com".

Which is not a good look if, like me, your only purpose in having the other address was to avoid having to send proper grown-up email from your amusingly-named Gmail account... :Embarrassed:
That's true. Another approach is to just use the gmail for checking counts of unread mails, but have any clickable links in the skin take you to your actual mail client and do any replying from there.