It is currently April 26th, 2024, 11:31 am

Your configuration file doesn't contain any meters!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ViciouS

Re: Your configuration file doesn't contain any meters!

Post by ViciouS »

I tried searching for any Desktop.ini files, but came up with none in the Skins folder. And unloading each skin one by one is such a PITA, I'm wondering if there's any simpler way of going on about this? I know you helped another fellow who was in the same situation as I am by sending him a file to open which corrected his errors, but the exe wouldn't open on my computer after I unrar'ed it, stating that the file was corrupted. Would you happen to have the same file but for Windows 7 64-bit?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

oni5115 wrote:Just thought I'd post how I managed to both get and fix this issue. I've been creating my own themes while learning. Sometimes I'd rename a file and restart Rainmeter. However, the info from the old file was still in my Rainmeter.ini and was causing the error message - since the file no longer existed.

Since I am just tinkering for the first time I wiped the Rainmeter.ini and started over. Though if you have settings you want to keep, then you'll have to dig through the file and see what's missing.

Though I am running it portable; not sure if that makes a difference or not. Aside from where my .ini's are located.
Cleaning up your Rainmeter.ini is as simple as starting RainThemes from the Start Menu, then saving your setup under any name you like, but checking "Remove unused skins from theme" before you save. Then load that just-saved theme and you are all set.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

ViciouS wrote:I tried searching for any Desktop.ini files, but came up with none in the Skins folder. And unloading each skin one by one is such a PITA, I'm wondering if there's any simpler way of going on about this? I know you helped another fellow who was in the same situation as I am by sending him a file to open which corrected his errors, but the exe wouldn't open on my computer after I unrar'ed it, stating that the file was corrupted. Would you happen to have the same file but for Windows 7 64-bit?
CleanDesktopIni.zip
Exit Rainmeter, run that, then restart Rainmeter and see if there is any difference. If not, you are going to have to unload each skin until you find the damaged one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Oh, and run that file from C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\CleanDesktopIni or it will give an error that it can't find Rainmeter.ini
ViciouS

Post by ViciouS »

Darn, although the program executed fine this time, it reported back saying that it didn't find any errors. Guess I'm out of luck then .... maybe I should just wait until 1.3 is out and cross my fingers that it would carry over without error? :/
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

ViciouS wrote:Darn, although the program executed fine this time, it reported back saying that it didn't find any errors. Guess I'm out of luck then .... maybe I should just wait until 1.3 is out and cross my fingers that it would carry over without error? :/
You have a borked .ini file somewhere in \Skins. You are going to have to find it or it's never going to work right if you keep loading that skin.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Although we have changed the error dialogs in Rainmeter in 1.3 to tell you which skin has the problem. So I would go ahead and install the RC of 1.3 now. It won't mess with your old settings unless you have literally/manually changed skin code in Enigma or Gnometer .ini files.
ViciouS

Post by ViciouS »

Wow, perfect! It automatically removed the bogus files from starting up, and now I have a fairly good grasp where I messed up the code since there's an empty space where something used to be. Thanks a lot, this will make going through the code much easier and less time consuming. Can't wait for the final release of 1.3 to be released. You guys rock. :thumbsu:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Good deal...