It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:47 pm

Theme Files

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
FoolTheWorld

Theme Files

Post by FoolTheWorld »

As far as I understand this program so far, theme files are preset parameters of the skins they link to. The default theme being Enigma or Gnometer. However when I download new themes they don't include theme files only skins and art. Although I can manually set up each theme, I would prefer to be able to easily change my theme without spending 30 minutes each time. One theme I downloaded included a .thm file but no skins. When I put the .thm file in my themes folder it didn't show up under my themes list on rainmeter, after refreshing and restarting it. If anyone can help me understand how to properly operate this program, please let me know. : )
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Theme Files

Post by jsmorley »

Let me start with a high level observation that is NOT directed at you personally. However, if you will allow that you are described in this observation, you may find it helps a lot with Rainmeter going forward. Then, I promise to specifically answer your questions and not just blow you off with a self-satisfied "RTFM!"

Rainmeter is not really an "application" like most of what a regular computer user runs into every day. It's more of a "tool" that is a framework for creating your own very cool and useful things. Some metaphors: It's not a model kit, it's a stick of balsa wood and a carving knife. It's not a radio, it's a guitar. The point is, that unless you want to just use other folk's skins AS THEY ARE, you are going to have to learn a bit about Rainmeter and how it works. Most applications you just start up and they do one thing, or can easily be set by just right clicking and saying "Properties" or clicking "Tools / Setup" on a menu bar. NOT Rainmeter. This is not a failing of Rainmeter, but its strongest point. It is not paint-by-numbers. Michelangelo didn't paint-by-numbers.

This is the trap that many new users fall into. It's not surprising, nor is there any reason to expect otherwise. Most Windows apps ARE paint-by-numbers.

So what am I saying? I suggesting that Rainmeter is something where you need to invest a bit to get results. Not a lot, Rainmeter is really easy. The approach to getting going with Rainmeter is the following: (in my opinion)

1) Read this: Rainmeter 101. It's not long and although it may not all make perfect sense at first, it will help a lot in getting started.

2) Do at least one of these: Skin Tutorials. Even if you just do the first one it will really help to have the "light come on" as far as how Rainmeter works. If you do all of them you will be posting your own custom skins to devArt in no time and racking up the llamas...

3) Get a skin from Rainmeter at deviantArt.com. Get a simple skin, not some huge complicated suite. Using the guidelines in Rainmeter 101, install and run this skin, then edit it and change some stuff. Colors, fonts, where things are positioned, what is measured, etc. To help with this, you will need to refer often to:

4) Rainmeter Manual. This will be invaluable going forward. Don't try to read and memorize it all up front, but do skim through it first so you get a sense of the possible, then keep a link to it really, really handy as you will use it a LOT while creating or changing skins.

Ok, now to answer your questions. I warn that the answers will make a lot more sense after you do at least number 1) above.

Rainmeter is made of of "Skins" which are simple .ini files that have a series of named sections. These are primarily of two types, Measures, that tell Rainmeter what to well, measure, and Meters, which tell Rainmeter how to display the results.

Skins are kept in folders under My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins. These folders are called Configs and are a way to group skins together.

Logically above that is a common file, Rainmeter.ini, that has some global settings for Rainmeter and a section for each loaded skin that tells Rainmeter how to interact with that skin. Things like where on the screen to put the skin as a whole, (the individual bits of the skin, the meters, are positioned in the skin file itself, but Rainmeter keeps track of where the ENTIRE skin is on the screen when you drag it around), as well as some other "settings" for the skin. You can get at these through the context menu by right clicking a skin, or from the tray icon for Rainmeter.

Themes are a way to save that Rainmeter.ini file once you have skins loaded, dragged where you want them, and have any / all of those "settings" the way you want them. You use the RainThemes application which comes with Rainmeter (it's in your Windows Start Menu) and save THAT Rainmeter.ini as a .thm file. That way, you can always quickly get back to a saved setup wthout having to load skins, drag things around and change settings all over again. Themes don't save the skins themselves, nor have anything to do with changes you make to the skins themselves. It's just a way to take a snapshot of the Rainmeter environment at a given moment.