It is currently April 24th, 2024, 3:24 am

completely new to this whole font thing

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
anonymous-kun

completely new to this whole font thing

Post by anonymous-kun »

hi. decided to take the plunge and install rainmeter. totally awesome. still getting used to the lingo here, like "code", "config", "theme" and "skin". anyway, right now i need some help with the font. i downloaded a few new ones from dafont.com and i'm wondering if anyone can guide me step by step on how to put them in rainmeter. a few questions, i'm probably going to sound like a dumbass for this (but bear with me, i'm still new):

can i use a different font for enigma, or do i have to create a whole new theme, or skin? whichever one it is.

where can i find the code for the fonts i downloaded? how do i put them into enigma?

any help would be very kind. some info on what i'm running:

32 bit Vista (so 32 bit rainmeter)

using enigma, but would like to eventually create my own completely custom skin/theme/whatever.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: completely new to this whole font thing

Post by jsmorley »

1) http://rainmeter.net/cms/Meters-ANoteOnFonts_beta

2) If you change the font in Enigma, you are almost certain to completely hose the "positioning" of things, and are in for a Bataan Death March of changing X / Y / W / H / FontSize values in every skin. It can be done, but probably not the first thing you want to do when new at Rainmeter.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I can tell you how to do it, but I can't guarantee it will look as good, as the placement of the meters that show text are usually based on the font and changing it might throw some things off.

That being said, just go to Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Enigma\Resources\Variables and open up UserVariables.inc in notepad. Scroll down until you find Font=Trebuchet MS and replace "Trebuchet MS" with the font of your choosing. Like "Font=Century Gothic" without the quotations of course. :P

Hope this helps.

Well jsmorley beat me to it and is completely right!
[img]http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4161/sigcopy.jpg[/img]
anonymous-kun

Post by anonymous-kun »

thanks, going to try it right now. lets see how it goes : )
anonymous-kun

Post by anonymous-kun »

holy shit it works. thanks! so is that what i do everytime? can i change the size and color of the font there as well? and why is it only showing the new font for my date and system, but my network is the same font as before?

don't know if you can tell from this image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anonymous-kun

Post by anonymous-kun »

nevermind, just remembered the network was from "Gnometer" so i had to go to the variables in that one. now it's fixed. but still wondering about font size and color, too
anonymous-kun

Post by anonymous-kun »

especially the font color for the red percentage that is my connection. anyone care to help with that too?
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Editing the font size will almost surely throw off the positioning of things, as jsmorley put it. But if you're wanting to tinker with it, open up some of the skins and see which font color the text you're wanting to change is using and edit the corresponding variable.

Read: http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101

You should know that not two weeks ago I didn't know what rainmeter was. Today I'm writing complete skins for myself. The basics are extremely easy. And for everything else there's the manual and this forum.
[img]http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4161/sigcopy.jpg[/img]