It is currently April 20th, 2024, 1:16 am

Disappearing Skins

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Katcilla

Disappearing Skins

Post by Katcilla »

I've recently finished putting together my first setup using Rainmeter, I've posted it on the First Desktop thread;
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2412&start=260

One thing you can't see in my screenshot is that the right-hand sidebar and the Pictures link on the bottom left, and occasionally the Word-of-the-day will randomly disappear when I go to the desktop.

As far as I can tell, they don't actually turn off, and I'm pretty sure they aren't moving to the back or something.
They usually reappear when I open RainBrowser.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
poiru
Developer

Re: Disappearing Skins

Post by poiru »

Upgrade to the latest beta.

Then, if you're using Vista or 7, right-click on the disappearing skin(s) -> Settings -> Postition -> On Desktop.
Katcilla

Post by Katcilla »

Yeah, see, that's the thing. I have the latest version, I only got it today.
And as for changing the position, I've tried that a bunch of times, it doesn't seem to affect them.
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

Katcilla wrote:Yeah, see, that's the thing. I have the latest version, I only got it today.
And as for changing the position, I've tried that a bunch of times, it doesn't seem to affect them.
it does try to put a skin set to desktop on a skin set to normal and you will see it is working
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
Katcilla

Post by Katcilla »

Yep, fixed!
Apparently, that was the one setting I forgot to try.
My mistake.
Thanks!

EDIT:
Not fixed.
It turns out, what was causing my skins to disappear was the "Show Desktop" button on the Windows taskbar.
Every time I hit it, those skins, and a couple of the new skins I've added(weather etc) disappear and will only reappear if I go back to my other windows and minimise them the long way, or if I open RainBrowser.

Is there a way to fix this?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Katcilla wrote: Is there a way to fix this?
Are you running Windows Vista or Windows 7? If not, there is no solution atm.
Fireater989

Post by Fireater989 »

Yeah, I was having the same problem with the show desktop button, but changing the mode to desktop seemed to fix it. I have Windows 7.
edwardb

Post by edwardb »

I found an application created by Kaelri in these forums that does a couple of stuff including the ability for the [win] + [d] hotkey to not hide rainmeter skins by making the [win] + [d] hotkey (show desktop) to do the same thing the [win] + [m] (minimize all windows) hotkey does through authotkey :]
I know he doesnt talk about this feature in the first post, but he talked about it in a different topic. All you have to do is run the program and it works in the background!
even if you think you're gonna fail, write a victory speech.
Fireater989

Post by Fireater989 »

Setting each skin to "On Desktop" in the skin settings dialog fixes the problem. Some people might have other needs though... it suits me fine enough. AHK can be pretty powerful once you learn how to use it