It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:26 am

Need Help. Simple?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
All-Lucy-7s

Need Help. Simple?

Post by All-Lucy-7s »

Ok I am very computer illiterate. I don't understand how to get rainmeter running. I downloaded the .zip file using winRAR. But I don't understand where to extract it to... or what to do with it. I read the page about installation, but I am unaware of how to make a certain folder for it. If I can get it running I am sure I could move forward on my own from there... Help plox?

I would enjoy a step by step explanation. :?
Like a dummies guide. :)

It gives me the message.
the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. please see the application event log for more detail.
Last edited by All-Lucy-7s on August 12th, 2010, 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tru

Re: Need Help. Simple?

Post by tru »

What is it you trying to get running ???
Aarowaim

Post by Aarowaim »

Step 1:
Go to My documents

Step 2:
Open Rainmeter by double-clicking it

Step3:
Open Skins by double-clicking

Step4:
Extract here.
Note: If the files do not extract into their own folder automatically, then continue these steps.

Step5:
Right-Click

Step6:
Select New folder

Step7:
Name the new folder

Step8:
Extract into the new folder.
If you can get on the internet, this guide is probably pretty simple for you ;)
All-Lucy-7s

Post by All-Lucy-7s »

It just says it can't run when I click on it... it is upsetting me.
Aarowaim

Post by Aarowaim »

Then either rainmeter needs to be refreshed, or the person who made the skin made a mistake in their script. Do you know what skin it was? I could see if it works fine.

EDIT: I misunderstood your posts, please ignore this one.
Last edited by Aarowaim on August 13th, 2010, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't think he is talking about a skin. I suspect he means that he has downloaded the .zip version of Rainmeter, and is having trouble using it. The error message he is getting tells me that there is a conflict with the version of the C++ runtimes he has on his computer and what Rainmeter needs. He really needs to delete everything he downloaded and get the .exe installer version. So the C++ runtimes get updated.

There are other options like getting the right library distribution file from Microsoft and installing it, but based on the fact that the user starts with "I'm computer illiterate" and the completely useless and unhelpful nature of his original question and response, where he gives us no hint at all what he is even trying to do and what he is trying to install, I'm think the best bet is to use the .exe version, which makes installing and getting Rainmeter running very easy.

I'm basing this assumption on the error message he posted about, as nothing else that he has said gives us any clue what he is talking about.

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2908
Aarowaim

Post by Aarowaim »

Ok, I see. That makes a lot of sense. In that case, yes you should get the .exe version of rainmeter. It is a lot easier to install and configure and is the best option for people who don't do well with computers.