It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:29 pm

Sync Notes

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
espekia

Sync Notes

Post by espekia »

Sorry if this is only tenuously related to rainmeter, but it involves a few different products and i cant think which one's forum would be best. So i'm trying them all :)

Right so i have a to-do list which i display in Notes so whenever i'm at my computer i can constantly see all the things i need to do. I have been looking for a way to edit the Notes.txt from my iPhone so when i get to my computer, changes i made while out and about are there for me to see. I always think of stuff while out and forget by the time i'm home, so this will be really useful to me.

I tried Evernote, but it can't edit .txt files, and the notes it creates can't be read by Rainmeter. One is rich-text and the other is plain-text apparently.

Next i tried having the text file in Dropbox with a symlink to the rainmeter file, but you can only view files on the iPhone dropbox, not edit them.

Is there any way i can just edit Notes.txt on the go, and see the changes on my desktop? It can be through any medium, i will try any syncing software or use any hacked together solution.

I have my own server space if that makes any difference, but i can't think of a way to automate downloads from it, or upload .txt to it from my iPod.

any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
JpsCrazy

Re: Sync Notes

Post by JpsCrazy »

This probably isn't convenient or what you want at all. And you'd need a Jailbroken iPod.
But you could just use any Notes skin. Drag the file into a place you could easily remember. Download iFile from Cydia, and probably a SSHing program or iPhone Browser.\

Anywho. You place the file somewhere you'll know, then edit it with iFile, or a similar file finding program for the iPod. Then, when you're home, replace the file on your computer with the one on your iPod. And it's updated.

Not convenient... but it works.

You may be able to do it with the USB Drive app which would make this a hell of a lot easier, but I don't know if you could edit files.
espekia

Post by espekia »

Yeah, i am jailbroken and i have iFile and can use SSH, i hadn't thought of this however so thanks. the idea is however that i can sync it wirelessly straight away when i make the note. If i have to remember to get the file off the iphone i may as well just use iPhones Notes app and read it when i'm home.

i suppose i could make a quick webpage with a text from, but that would save to a MySQL database and i have no idea how to get data from one of them to a text file. i guess i could make and RSS feed for that page and subscribe to it in the Rainmeter feed reader, but then my notes would be publicly accessable.

only other idea is to write a script that runs when i start my PC and copies text from and evernote file and puts it in the rainmeter one. Actually that's not a bad idea. Well, i'll have a go at that but if anyone has any other suggestions i'd still very much like to hear them as it's a pretty crude solution.

many thank yous
espekia

Post by espekia »

I did it. very complex way, but works seamlessly once set up.
it involves iFile. thanks for the tip :)
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Your welcome!
May I ask how you did it?
I'm a bit curious.