It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:28 pm

Help getting a theme to work.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
pye3

Help getting a theme to work.

Post by pye3 »

Ok so.. i downloaded rainmeter today for my first time.. and i tried one of the custom themes.. all was good then i downloaded some themes from a website and.. i put them in the skins folder in my-documents and when i restarted rainmeter they didn't show up under theme's They show up under configs tho and all i can do is drag out all the parts of it but what i want is for it to be already set up for me like they are in the pictures.. one of them that i really want is this (http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/58074) installed it did everything was automatic and.. it didn't show up under theme's but it did under config. What do i do? can anyone help me out? also i tried reinstalling rainmeter and the default theme's disappeared and didn't fix anything.
JpsCrazy

Re: Help getting a theme to work.

Post by JpsCrazy »

Most 'themes' you are talking about are just skins.
They don't automatically all pop up and work under themes - you have to pick and choose what you want and where it goes.
Yes, they are under Configs. Yes, you have to do it all individually.
Not to mention, I'm pretty sure you can only run one theme at a time.

You can't expect Rainmeter and authors to do all the work for you.
pye3

Post by pye3 »

so whats with the "Or, try these alternate versions:" at the bottom of the "HUD.Vision v2.2" skin? Is there no way to download a theme someone has saved using that skin? i just want one since im new and i want to start with something..
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

If you look, they're all pretty much identical with different skins activated and moved.
With a different background of course.
The 'alternative versions' is just extra screenshots. Customize.org just labels it as alternatives.

I'm sure someone's made a theme with it... the problem is finding the theme and no the skin.

The Enigma theme is a nice one to start out with.
I still use many aspects of it.

The more and more you tweak just skins instead of full themes, the more personal and like-able your desktop will become.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

RainThemes is a relatively new addition to Rainmeter and as such, only newer released configs will likely have "Themes" included. The HUD Vision most author most likely has not updated to include .thm files. That being said nothing is stopping you from asking someone whose setup you like to use RainThemes to save a theme and share it with you. That will only work however if you have the same skins installed that they used. A .thm is just a saved rainmeter.ini settings file.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would stay away from HUD.Vision to be honest. I was written for an earlier version of Rainmeter, and while Rainmeter itself is fully backwards compatible, the "installer" he wrote and includes is not, and will screw up your setup. He also uses a dead rss feed for weather, and you will never get it to work and will have to replace all his weather stuff with something else.

Just my two cents. HUD.Vision has some nice stuff, but is going to give you headaches if you are not pretty good with Rainmeter.